“BEYOND my Expectations on every level!!”

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #3 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked, requested a particular room in advance (highest floor, ocean view WITH a Balcony!!)
And..... I GOT IT!!!
That is just the starters!! but actually MADE the trip, so for you out there who think "Room" doesn't matter, it does!!! On Many levels... Like, I looked at the suite next to my room, it had NO balcony (VERY Few rooms do in the main building) and it didn't have an extra half bath, so it was dead "extra room" and I made out totally on the room I had!
ALL rooms in the main building, as you may know, were totally renovated as of just earlier this year!
Bathroom- To Die for... DOUBLE SINKS (HUGE with me) as well as a great tub and separate shower.
TOP notch on all.... I never ever saw room service and my room was attended to every time I left!!
OK- I wish I could just BOTTLE THE SMELL of the Lobby which heads into the gorgeous Outside Breakfast Area..... Entering this place is feast amoung the senses..... can't explain it and it is something I miss so much.
Bottom Line, there is NO OTHER PLACE TO STAY except the Palace; is is History; Circa 1923
It is on the BEST BEACH!!! I can't believe what others say about Copacabana... it was SPOTLESS and SAFE and MUCH MUCH nicer than Ipanema!!!
Beyond a doubt the best place ever to stay!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T wait to go back!!!!!!

Room Tip: Well, besides the Penthouse, the best room is 506...... top floor, ocean view and.... WITH A BALCON...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MagicalTravel
Adriano S, Assistant to the General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for posting your valuable and amazing comments about the hotel and the district of Copacabana. We are glad that we are succesfull in providing a memorable experience.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,476)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful! The rooms are perfect and the service also very good.
People from the hotel is very helpful.
The swimming pool is great! I love to stay there. It was my second time.
You can walk to Arpoador in the afternoon to see the sunset. After this you can go to Colombo in
Copacabana Fort. It's amazing!
I recomend this hotel!

Room Tip: The best rooms have a beach view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is so amazing to read nice and emotional comments about your experience and stay with us. Thank you very much.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The best hotel in Rio is in the image of its city: gorgeous location, iconic building, beautiful rooms (especially those in the back building), inefficient and lackadaisical service. By international standards, the location and building are 5-star+, the service is (barely) 4-star. Great breakfast and week-end buffets.i

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lam N

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your personal message about your stay with us. Although it is amazing read the positive impressions related to the city and the hotel, we are really concerned of your observation regarding to our service. We truly would like to check better what happened because it is not detailed.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 10, 2013

For the price we paid the least I expected on arrival and departure was somebody to help us with our luggage but nobody did, 4 members of security staff even watched us struggle out past the pool area on our departure.

We had a number of issues with the hotel during our stay including noise from the bar downstairs which we were promised would cease at midnight but there was no let up at 1am so we had no choice but to take another room for the night if we wanted to sleep. Pool service was inconsistent, we only received turndown 1 night out of 4 and when we ordered poached eggs at breakfast they arrived as we were leaving. I could go on and on however we took the opportunity to speak to the Duty Manager to discuss this and he waived our bill however, I would much rather pay for my food and drinks and have good service. My husband even emailed the Duty Manager directly, soon after our stay with constructive advice but he never received a reply which was disappointing but they do have a lot of famous guests so maybe they are just very busy.

Yes, it's a very iconic hotel within the Copacabana area and at the moment it is the only 5 star (accredited) hotel in that location. Rio, however is a fantastic city and the local people are very welcoming, we never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: Take a high floor for sleep quality
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HerRubyship

Dear Guest,
Firstly we were extremely concerned to read the detailed content of your message. We apologize most sincerety for all the unpleasant incidents you and your husband may had. We will check all the matters you highlighted in order to avoid situations as mentioned.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Excellent boutique-type hotel with spacious rooms and a stone's throw from the world famous Copacabana beach. Service was above par, the breakfast spread was simply scrumptious and they even flew the Malaysian flag during my stay - truly amazing!

Room Tip: The rooms are not cheap but I wished I had paid slightly more for sea facing rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Adriano S, Assistant to the General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Sir,
We would like to express how grateful we are after read your kind comment. It is truly amazing that you noted the flag. It is a way to honor the nationality of our guests.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had the great luck of staying for a whole week at the recently renovated Copacabana Palace and I must admit that I quite enjoyed my time there! The hotel is spectacular. The rooms are quite spacious and very clean.

The best part of my stay was the breakfasts at La Pergula. The buffet was quite elaborate and fresh. The fruits were something out of this world (don't miss the Papayas!) and the breads were quite nice. Unfortunately, the service was very chaotic albeit very friendly. I felt bad because I noticed that they were trying to make it right but the service team was quite lost (i.e. serving coffee when you were almost finished with your breakfast, bringing one drink but forgetting the other orders, etc.) and their language skills needed improvement. Funny enough, I found myself translating requests on behalf of other guests at the restaurant quite often!

Room Service was also quite disappointing. My refrigerator at the room was broken. They brought a second one that also stopped working after some time (it was obvious that the electrical plug was broken) yet they never bothered to check again if it was working correctly or not. I gave up after a while and just began to order ice cubes for my drinks.

The service at the beach was also quite chaotic as they did not have enough chairs and umbrellas on the morning I decided to relax at the beach. In fact, a group of 10 guests (me included) had to wait for over 30 mins until some employees brought another round of chairs, towels, and umbrellas. Given this situation, my question is: If the hotel is fully booked, the hotel management should be able to predict the amount of chairs, towels, and umbrellas that might be needed on any given sunny day. Am I right?

The room cleaning services took also their time to clean the rooms. Sometimes, I would go back to the room at 2pm and the bed was still undone even though I had left the room at 8am!

Regarding theTV services, the channels were very few and of poor quality and the Wireless internet service was awful and painfully slow. That really drove me crazy!

Setting this aside, if you are a patient person with a good sense of humor and a deep wallet, you might be able to enjoy your stay at this beautiful hotel in this "Cidade Maravilhosa".

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Reisekunst2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your impressions about your last stay with us. We are very concerned to the topics you highlighted and we will verify each of them carefully. We assure you they are not usual and are away from our standards as well. Please accept our apologies.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

copabana palace is one of those hotels you dream to stay in, i indeed dreamed and stayed there in my honeymoon for 4 nights... the hotel is surely iconic in a magnificent location at the heart of Rio. now, the place is exciting but the service not so exciting, staff is profesional i felt they could be more friendly yet i didnt feel mistreated or such.

i recommend you go there but look for offers and promos as it is overly priced in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sending your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and in addition, thank you for expressing positive sugestions in order to improve our services.