This is an iconic hotel which now looks somewhat jaded. The rooms are clean, well appointed but quite old fashioned. The tower block is a hike from the main reception up and down stairs, along corridors, round the outdoor pool and up more stairs. The luggage took over 30 mins to arrive at our room which when you are tired from a 12 hour flight and it's past midnight local time, is annoying. The hotel does have some olde worlde charm though if that's what you like.
The main Pergula Restaurant near the pool has lovely food, good buffets and service is ok except that few staff speak any English. Asking what meat the hamburger contains involved several people as the waiter could not understand the question.
Worse than this though was that the Maitre D in the pish-posh Cipriani Italian Restaurant could hardly speak a word of English. Unlike the main restaurant, we found the food here poor and did not always conform to what we understood from the English menu or the explanations we elicited. For example, "baked potatoes" turned out to be chips, a starter of carpaccio with cheese (we expected parmesan) was a parcel of cream cheese covered in thinly sliced raw beef (an unusual and not so pleasant twist), "rosette veal" main course was 4 little escalopes of dark coloured thin beef in breadcrumbs and not a thick, pale and slightly pink veal chop or filet. The butter served tasted rancid and when we complained (they probably did not understand although we said it tasted "bad") the replacement was no better.
Service (except for all the misunderstanding) at the Cipriani was good and the staff tried hard and were obliging. Not very 5star cuisine though at around $150 per person for 2 courses with wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the famous Copacabana Beach, the Belmond Copacabana Palace is known as the most luxury hotel in Brazil. A symbol of sophistication and refinement, the Belmond Copacabana Palace offers an impeccable service, excellent cuisine and luxurious accommodation, confirming its tradition of ideal place to stay in Rio de Janeiro. The Belmond Copacabana Palace offers three restaurants inside its facilities; the Italian Cipriani, the Pergula Restaurant, with Brazilian and international cuisine, located next to the pool and the new Pan-Asian restaurant awarded with a prestigious Michelin Star, Mee. Apart from being a landmark in one of the most beautiful areas of Brazil, the hotel is also a center of wellbeing. It offers one of the main spas in the country, with different types of treatments, as well as a beauty salon, both open to the public. It also has a boutique with national and international brands and exclusive pieces. The exclusive Beach service offers sun loungers, umbrellas and water for the guests. The personalized treatment enchants the guests and provides a family atmosphere, making everybody feel at home. The hotel is also known as one of the most sort after venues for parties and Rio´s social events. It has a convention center with ten different rooms and salons of different sizes and shapes, to suite the various needs of the clients. For parties, the hotel offers the luxurious Golden Room, the Nobre Room and the Copacabana Rooms, which can be used for cocktails, dinners, wedding receptions, business meetings and other large parties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Belmond Copacabana Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copacabana Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Hotel
- Belmond Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro, Brazil