Belmond Copacabana Palace
$209
$200
JW Marriott
  • Beachfront
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$206
$112
  • Breakfast included
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$154
$120
$245
$231
  • Beachfront
Ipanema Inn(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$110
$99
$230
$184
Sheraton.com
$173
  • Breakfast included
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Pool
Arena Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$119
$85
Official Hotel
$500
$451
3,553 results
All reviewscipriani restaurantmain buildingiconic hotelgrand damepoolside restaurantpool areapool staffcity viewguest relationsbeautiful poolturn down serviceluxurious hotelfive star hotelour honeymoonconcierge deskhotel guestsbeach service
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Having just had a wonderful stay at the sister hotel, das Cateratas, in Iguacu, we were full of expectation upon arriving in Rio. What a disappointment.
We were celebrating our 25th anniversary with a trip to Brazil. We asked when checking out of the das Cateratas to send a message ahead, asking for a quiet room at the Copacabana. We are sure they did so. Upon arrival we were given a room at the back of the hotel on a low floor facing a noisy street. The insulation in the hotel is very poor and we quickly decided we needed to change to another room. The unfriendly receptionist offered us a suite on the front side for an extra 200 Reais per night, which we accepted. This was a big mistake as we were kept awake until the early hours by a party going on in one of the function rooms. As well as bad window insulation you can hear your neighbors showering in the morning due to the very old plumbing.
Worse than the noise is the the attitude of the staff. The first person to smile at us was the person who checked us out. As guests we felt very unwelcome in this establishment. Even asking for help getting a taxi was un unpleasant experience, as we were each time almost forced into a hotel car at several times the price.
The hotel is being renovated, and only partially operational, which means that it is definitely not worth going for the time being. I can only imagine it will be better at some stage. It can not get any worse. The whole place feels like being in the 1970s and, at many hundreds of dollars per night, extremely poor value for money.
Steer clear.

Room Tip: Don't take room 152, you will be directly above the piano bar, which will resonate through the night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank PSA88
Reviewed September 10, 2012

i was just amazed at the scenery surrounding the hotel. not only that, the attendants were so friendly till my last day. this i such a beautiful place to be for a holiday. my mind was completely relaxed from my trip and i will definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Adriano W, EA to the General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your positive comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Copacabana Palace in a near future.
Best Regards,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel is a real Rio de Janeiro classic. My parents have been going since the 1970's. The staff is friendly and very helpful the rooms are nice, some are newer than others, but they're all elegant; the sea-view suites are beautiful with a private pool for the penthouse floor and the annex suites are beautiful though the lower floors do not have sea view.
The pool is great for lounging around and the service is fast and friendly. The clientele is on the older side, due likely to the prices which reflect the five stars of the hotel, but, in my opinion they are justified.
A real gem, and a great place to stay in Rio. If you can't spend your vacation there I still suggest to try their saturday lunchtime feijoada!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yara R
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Through all the years of my business life travelling to Brazil, also with the family at times, there is only one conclusion : Copacabana Palace Hotel is the ultimate location to stay in Rio de Janeiro, the atmosphere, the service, the lobby, rooms, retaurants, spa- and the pool area, you feel like a "snob" from the old times, living in 2012 standard. We are off to Rio again within short, booked and now longing to get "back home" to Copacabana Palace, to meet up with the most friendly staff of any hotel world wide. Do not miss a stay here when you are off to Rio de Janeiro, it is a life time experience, making your life worth living. Obrigado !!

Room Tip: The Tower Wing have rooms on the size of a standard apartement, excellent for a longer stay, overlooking the pool area and the copacabana beach, when the main building, specifically at the VIP business floor, has the best standard you can imagine !
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank annikaOslo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Old Rio elegance, European Efficiency/Class, and a warm "Carioca Welcoming Smile", all blended in to reflect the best of a truly unique and magical city. The Copacabana Palace is the perfect blend and ambassador for the best Rio has to offer from the past, and the promise of an even more refined and polished near future. Excellent experience, made so by the truly WORLD CLASS staff!! Can't wait to return when renovations are over to re-visit this magical place, and it's very special staff.

Having grown up in Rio (73-85), it had always been my dream to stay at the Copa. The Majestic building set dead in the middle of the Leme-Forte de Copacabana stretch in one of the most famous beaches in the world, had been in my imagination since then.... Reading about the renovations, initially broke my heart, as the opportunity for my stay had finally materialized... Putting my trust in the "Leading Hotels of the World" brand (never disappointed me before), I threw caution to the wind and booked at the Palace.

Location is excellent, as it sits only a couple blocks (5 min. walk) from "Arcoverde" Metro stop (to the right as you face the building, around the corner and down two blocks until you see it), or a 7 min. (depending on traffic) and about 10-15R to Ipanema. You can also walk the distance to the Fort (at the end of the beach on the right facing the Ocean) then continue on to Ipanema (about 25-30 min)., all the while enjoying the lively heartbeat of the Copa beach scene. Manoel and Joaquim (on the first or second corner to the left as you face the building) is excellent for "Petiscos" of bolinhos de bacalhao, picanha, carne seca, caldinho de fejao and a "chopp" or caipirinha to wash it all down BTW :-)... Now back to the Palace:

We were initially shocked as we pulled up to scaffolding dead at the entrance!! Our fears soon subsided as the very friendly staff quickly/efficiently escorted us into a beautiful hallway lined w/time furniture, bright carpets and a lovely pool to the right. The smiling, polite, gracious and professional check in staff sealed the deal w/offerings of coffee, refreshments, sweet chocolate balls (brigadeiros) and/or fruit (apples). The room upgrade and early check in (Leading Hotels of the World Affiliation) were immediately recognized and honored.

The room was large and well equipped w/Ipod dock, two flat screen TVs, large balcony/closet, elegant bathroom w/adequate goodies and water pressure to DIE FOR... Welcome gift, hand written note from the manager, and a FANTASTIC chocolate mousse cake (with candle) to celebrate my birthday (wife mentioned I was turning forty). Little chocolates left on the pillow and water bottles daily were an excellent touch.... And if all of this didn't win you over yet, complementary Havainas and the pillow scent should!

Breakfast offered all the usual staples (breads, local fruit, commercial yogurt, an omellet station, sweet breads etc..), but I must say, I have seen much more impressive spreads (Pestana in Lisbon and King George in Athens for example) and expected a bit more from the Copa.... What the spread lacked in variety and "top shelf" quality (esp. in cheese and ham) the WORLD CLASS staff made up for it. Polite, prompt, professional and gracious are only some of the qualities that come to mind as I think of the gentlemen always willing to ask if I would like another espresso, or if my daughter would like a "Hot chocolate" to follow her "cold chocolate" drink. This coupled with the soothing soft ballads playing in the background, made breakfast a fabulous meal for all of us the whole stretch of our 4 day stay...

Pool scene was OK. Plenty of chairs, nice cushions and lovely pillows, framed the well sized HEATED pool (quite welcoming as we went in Sept.). My only beef w/the pool (and I'm sure it will probably be an advantage in mid summer) was the "court yard" setting. The surrounding buildings shaded the pool for the most part of the day. If your looking for a tan, I advise the beach first (in the morning) then the pool for a sunless afternoon dip to cool off. Prices were as expected (very high). A fruit salad, small can of "Guarana" and a large water bottle set us back 50+ R!!! Not surprising though, as this is a 5 star establishment :-)

I should also mention the management is doing a phenomenal job running "business as usual" albeit only on a FRACTION of the property during the renovations. Things run smoothly and flawlessly from check in-check out, and if it wasn't for the scaffolding at the entrance, one may even forget this is a "work in progress".... This is a clear reflection of a well run system and excellent management/staff. Great Job!!

All in all, it was an excellent experience, and needless to say, do plan to come back. The elegance and world class demeanor of the staff have secured my return. Can't wait to re-visit post renovations to experience the full Majesty of the "Princess of Copacabana"....

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family