“Disappointing service”

Ranked #128 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

The hotel is located just across the road from the beach and while the room was nice, I felt my week's stay here was spoiled but incredibly poor service from the reception and restaurant staff.
I had arranged for a taxi to the airport the night prior to my flight because I knew there was a bus strike the following day. Despite assurances that this would be taken care of, it wasn't at all and the gentleman on Reception that morning was extremely unhelpful, sent me to and fro the concierge (who it turned out did not have an outside line on his phone to assist me), calling out and summoning me across the reception area (rater than coming over to where I was seated to give me an update). Despite this man's efforts to convince me to pay more for the hotel car, the concierge actually found a yellow taxi outside as I requested and couldn't have been more helpful.

I also experienced extremely poor service in the hotel restaurant for dinner - so I made arrangements to eat elsewhere each evening following - and had a maintenance man turn up unannounced to replace a lightbulb - which I had not reported and he could not find any to be replaced in my room.

All in all, very poor service from what is supposed to be a high-standard international hotel - I will look for other options when next I visit Rio for business.

Room Tip: rooms 1022 and 1023 are opposite the ice machine!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kym H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This is my favourite hotel! Rooms are great you really can treat it like your own apartment! Great views of the Ocean and beach! Location is out of the way however travel is cheap! Pool area is great and the pool staff really do take care of you! I've never had any issue with this hotel in my 20+ stays!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I stay here fairly frequently for business. I find the room design (Large suite like with kitchenette and Large Sea View balconies) makes for a very comfortable and pleasant stay, My one criticism here would be the bathroom, good design but only ever seems to be hot water later on in the day!?
I've sampled much of the food, restaurant and room service and found it to be very good indeed. Staff are on the whole friendly and fairly efficient with everything.
Excellent Beach is accessible via the worlds slowest changing traffic lights. Though public, Plenty hotel loungers and towels available.numerous beach bars offer bargain booze and snacks.
My continuous criticism of this hotel is the wi-fi.....
A. It's Chargeable (29R$ Per 24hr) I know this is fairly standard of big hotel chains so not too pricey by comparison.
B The connection is poor border-lining useless! Completely unacceptable when you expect your guests to pay for it. On my current trip, every time I wish to connect I must do so by standing in the hallway.
Very inconvenient when trying to do work or stay in touch, which is important when so far away from home.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JimmyEnn
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Took me 30 minutes in line to check-in. Processes don't seem to work. No express check-out, therefore one must suffer in line again. Although location is nice, they should have better processes, more, better trained, committed employees, employees... better, they should have all of them...

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank WChamon

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Tangerang, Indonesia
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We spend almost 2 years in Brazil as cariocan, and during our stuff being packaged by the mover we stayed in this hotel due to close proximity to our children's school at EARJ Barra.

Our other option is the Windsor barra, but due to our bad experienced staying in the other Windsor hotel chain in Rio we try to avoid that.

Great Hotel with nice breakfast, our kids loved the nestle machine that spurts out hot chocolate like in the fuel stations, the only difference is it's free. Loved the swimming pool and all rooms has a view to the Barra beach due to it's diagonal facing balcony.

We enjoyed our stay in Rio and Sheraton is the perfect place to end our tenure there......Adeus Rio !!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AgungP
PMello_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are glad to hear that you and your family had a great time in our hotel and that we succeed in the challenge of being your home away from home. We hope to have the opportunity of host you again in the future once you’re back in Rio.

Best regards,
The Management.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed here in March 2014. The hotel was booked by my airline so I didn't had much choice. The hotel is located at the beach , the rooms have a great view over the Ocean and the balcony is a big plus. The rooms are outdated and they need refurbishment. Some parts of the room ( corners ) are just not clean and that's unacceptable. Staff is friendly but it seems that their are just not enough staff members in order to garantuee a quick service. Not bad, but not 5-Star.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Jumeirah23
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Big hotel. Good English stuff which is very important for Rio:)) And all the services expected from 5 stars hotel are available) Together with spa, nice swimming pool and sunbathing area. Also I took a chance to visit hairdresser which was quite cheap and very good quality. The beach is just in front of you and the view from the big balcony in the room is great. It is good to have a rest for few days in this hotel in case you have already visited all the places and beaches in Rio)) Cause choosing Barra area for the whole stay is not a good idea as long as you are not older than 50. We took a taxi to any restaurant or shopping place from that hotel, and nothing like good club or bar are available nearby. If you are demanding on food, better try other hotel cause breakfast were too poor and even not that fresh (fish) comparing with a 3 stars hotel in Copacabana we had stayed previous days. The room is more or less ok for 1-2 days, it looks nice from the pictures and first impression, but only before you smell the air and feel the age of hotel. The shower room was even with extreme old glass and always wet floor. So, the hotel is only business trip choice. Or 2 days stay maximum.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
PMello_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Sheraton Barra for your last stay in Rio de Janeiro and for sharing your opinion with us. We are glad to hear that, over all, you had a nice stay with us. It's sad to know that our food and beverage service and some of our facilities didn't meet your expectation. We'll be considering your comments in order to improve the quality of our services.

Best regards,