“Terrible service, average facilities, and high price”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema
Ranked #41 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I stayed at Caesar Park Ipanema in two occasions in Feb/11, as I was working in Rio. Despite the high price (more than R$500 or USD 300 per night at a corporate rate - you have much better hotels at equivalent or lower prices), the hotel`s facilities are average (relatively old decoration in the rooms, small gym) and the service is TERRIBLE.
1. When I checked in for the first time, the attendant decided to give me an upgrade. The attendant next to him (Mari), who seemed to be his boss/manager, was really upset about the upgrade, told me that the upgraded room was "out of order" and downgraded me back to the original room! (the other attendant kept saying the room was fine). This was a room with two twin beds instead of a king, as I preferred.
2. The gym is small and gym staff is terrible. In one situation, there was no air conditioninguntil 7h40am (don`t forget this is Rio in the summer, and the gym was supposed to open at 6am). In other situation, the gym was still closed at 6h50, and after I complained and waitied a few minutes for the guy who was going to open the gym, I just gave up.
3. The second time I stayed there, despite my previous reservation, I had to stay in a smelly smokers room.
Stay away! If you want to pay such rates, you can get something much better!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank JoaoAGN
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Dear Mr. João,

We thank you for having chosen Caesar Park Ipanema and also for sending your comments to us at the end of your stay.

It is with concern that we receive your remarks and acknowledge that Caesar Park Ipanema has not attended your demands.

We regret the inconvenience concerning the happening at our front desk, we are taking an action in order to prevent this from happening again and truthfully express our deepest apologies. Your preference for King bed is already in our records.

We have an employee's training program ongoing, emphasizing the fitness center opening time and consequently the air conditioner system.

Unfortunatelly we couldn't check your reservation as we only have your first name on your message. But we have 10 floors for non smokers, please let us know in your next visit.

Therefore, we thank you again for your cooperation and hope to welcome you again in your next visit to Rio de Janeiro.

Best Regards,

Maurizio Romani
General Director
Caesar Park Ipanema

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema

Reviewed January 23, 2011

First of all: you can't compare 5-star hotels in Brazil with 5-star hotels in Asia or America - they simply never are as clean and perfect.
Why do I always stay at the "Caesar Park"? Because it is a good hotel and its location is unbeatable - simply the very best to experience Rio.
The best shops, the trendy restaurants, you find them all around the corner of the Caesar Park. You can easily spend a week there and never use a taxi (unless you want to go to Corcovado or Lapa).
The "Fasano" is the better hotel, but already out of the way. And the great "Coppacabana Palace" is unacceptable because of its location. It's only the ignorant visitors who think, Coppacabana Beach is a nice place to stay.
By the way, one last tip for the management of the Caesar Park (if they ever read it): exchange your mattrasses!!! Now!!! They are soft as pudding and terrible to sleep in.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tjacobi
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Dear Mr. Tjacobi,

It is a pleasure to receive your comments and compliments.
For sure your suggestion concerning our mattrasses will be considered!

Best Regards,

Maurizio Romani
Diretor Geral | Managing Director
Caesar Park Rio de Janeiro

Reviewed December 3, 2010

The hotel is clean and security is good. The staff were all pleasant and helpful. The room was clean but had seen better days. The hotel lobby had no atmosphere at all. Swimming pool was closed for the week that I was there. Very much a business hotel. The room rate was extortionate and everything from the mini bar, hotel black taxis and restaurant prices were inflated. I could not believe the prices! To be fair, the location was excellent and the breakfast excellent but I cannot justify the price.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank islandgirl1972
Marie-Bérengère C, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2016

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Caesar Park Rio de Janeiro, I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore, your feedback is very important to us.

Please rest assured that we are acting appropriately to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better you in the near future.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

I arrived late at night, and was just gald to see a bed. however as soon as I opened the door to my room, a damp, musty smell hit me. the room was very old, dated and in general NOT clean. When I put the lights on it was evident that this room was NOt clean, ok, the bed was made and the bathroom had clean towels, but it was dusty, dusty, dirty, stained carpets and the furtniture was marked and old. I just went to sleep and promised to deal with it in the mroning. When I woke up, the view of ipanema was amazing, but the room was very grotty and definitely not worth the money!

I called reception and they said the hotel was full and to call back at 4pm-which i did, they then moved me to another room on 20th floor. Without question, which made me think this has happened before. The new room was much cleaner, although smaller. It was much more modern, with nice fresh bed clothes, a clean carpet, a flat screen TV(the other room had an old style TV!). I was happy, and glad I spoke up, however I tried to open the window and the handle came off in my hand! Then i sat on the chair at the desk to do some work, and the leg came off.....I decided not to complain until i was checking out. the staff however were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was nice, although it was a bit disturbing to see the waiters constanlt wrapping food up in napkins and slipping it into their pockets and then going into the toilet-obviously to eat it>

A good location, friendy staff but definitely over priced and not worth the money!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank lOVEMYLUXURY

Reviewed October 26, 2010

We made our reservations for a deluxe ocean front room 8 months ago for a non-smoking room. They had us check in to the supposedly exclusive 20 floor, but the person there (Voldeci?) was extremely rude and chatted with his co-worker on the phone while ignoring us. He finally waved us over and checked us in with a smoking room. After I tried to show him my reservation for a non-smoking room, he curty replied, "I believe you, but we are completely booked." They said they would move us to a non-smoking room the next day, but they moved us instead to another smoking room and Bianca (?) had the nerve to lie to our face when I tried to confirm it was a non-smoking room before exchanging key cards. The "deluxe luxurious ocean front room" was run down and the windows were dirty and not what you expect for more than $500 per night. The location is nice, but after wasting time moving rooms and being blatantly lied to, we moved the Sofitel Hotel on the Copacabana. It looks old on the outside, but the ocean views were amazing and the staff was even more impressive and welcoming-the complete opposite of Cesar Park. The rooms were updated and contemporary with king sized beds for $100 less per night. This move made our trip 500% better!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 011235

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Too expensive for what they offer ,
The location is the best quality of this hotel

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank menezes

Reviewed September 30, 2010

It's a fine hotel in most ways but they charge for wifi access, meeting rooms, internet access, breakfast ($65 USD). It's expensive to start with and they chisel more out of you for what is standard service in many other hotels.
Even so, I tried to book for another week with overseas clients and the rates had escalated from very high to ridiculous, which meant that they created a customer for the Sofitel down the road.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business