“Scenic views, tired hotel, unqualified staff”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema
Ranked #45 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Ocean view, amazing location, pool is tired and small (you just can't swim), beach service is fine (welcoming staff), the rooms are comfy but at this price you can legitimately expect something fresher or elegant (rooms need updating). I had to wait 3 hours for my room (after the official check in time), staff did not seem concerned. They finally offered me a coffee and a 30 minutes wifi connection : that's cheap ! The staff does its best, the service is not awful, it's just really mediocre, they all seem unqualified.

Room Tip: Breakfast is overpriced
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank picalexandre
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Caesar Park Rio de Janeiro.

I am extremely concerned that your experience by your check in and service that was offered did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Caesar Park, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We Sincerely,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have just spent 4 nights at the Caesar Park Hotel in Ipanema. The location is perfect, right in the center of Ipanema beach, which is over the road. Ipanema is a great area for shopping, restaurants, bars and felt completely safe day and night. There is a lot of security around. The hotel appears to have recently been refurbished. We found the accommodation standard to be high, room cleanliness excellent. The breakfast location on the 23rd floor overlooking the beach is superb and were were delighted with the breakfast choices - great range of fruit and omelet chef. The staff at all levels, concierge, front desk were very friendly and most helpful. The pool is tiny on the 23rd floor, but who needs it with Ipanema beach right in front! We thought that this was a wonderful hotel and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. All rooms seem to have views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephend355
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for having chosen Caesar Park Ipanema and also for sending your comments via internet.

It is a pleasure hear that you did enjoy our hotel and the marvelous city Rio de Janeiro.

We hope to welcome you in again in your next visit to Rio de Janeiro!

Rest Regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Location is unbeatable, but their level of service and attitude compromise what could be an excellent hotel.
As many other hotels in Rio, they charge too much for what they offer. Ok, you can get really nice side and front ocean views, but when you put together their service and what the room offers, you realize it's not worth it.
Rooms have a decent size, bed linens are good and the mattress very comfortable. All very clean and well maintained. Bathrooms are small, look old and tired (rusty finishing) shower is not good and there could be more storage space.
Breakfast is expensive (around R$70 / US$35) and not worth it - apart from the incredible views on the pool floor where it's served, it lacks in variety and quality.
Beach service is good, there's plenty of chairs and the guys working at the beach know how to treat you well. It's in a very good area of the beach.
I had to contact their sales department regarding some issues happened during my stay and their answer was more than disappointing. They act like they were doing you a favor letting you stay at their property.
I believe you can do better elsewhere like the Marina or even the Fasano if you manage to get a good rate.

Room Tip: Side views to Vidigal (Dois Irmaos Moutain) are amazing and not obstructed from the 5th floor up.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cadi C

Dear Guest,

It is with concern that we receive your remarks and acknowledge that Caesar Park Ipanema has not attended your demands for some aspects.

We regret the inconvenience and truthfully express our deepest apologies.

Therefore, we thank you again for your cooperation and hope to have a chance to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for 9 nights and had a very enjoyable stay with no problems. I'd say it is a solid four star hotel to the seasoned traveller. Bed was a good size and comfortable, room was clean and the facilities such as the pool and gym were adequate. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was great. Loads of choice and I enjoyed the freshly cooked to order omeletes. The staff are friendly and helpful at reception and also in the restaurant.
The view from the top floor restaurant and pool is fantastic, right over the hottest spot on Ipanema beach. You are a short walk from the main shopping street Visconde de Piraja and lots of decent places to eat nearby. If, like me, you are a bit nervous about visiting Rio, this is a good place to base yourself.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emmaloocoo
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Caesar Park Ipanema and also for sending your comments to us via internet.

It is with pleasure that we receive your remarks and acknowledge that our services were up to your desires and expectations.

We hope to welcome you in your next visit to Rio de Janeiro.

Rest Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I arrived late one evening for a business trip and was initially pleased just to have arrived. I was too exhausted to notice how grubby the room was. The paintwork is marked in places, e.g. the bathroom door is stained, the carpet is gross and one of the curtains is falling off the runner. The positive thing is the location right across from the beach and with spectacular views - amazing, but I'd prefer it if it appeared there was anyone who cared for the fabric of the place. The reception and breakfast staff are very polite and welcoming. Overall, a huge let-down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Minnie12359
Managing_Director_RJ, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about Caesar Park Ipanema.

It is with concern that we receive your remarks and acknowledge that Caesar Park Ipanema has not attended your demands.

Ie regret the inconvenience concerning the carpet and we are working on this issure, and truthfully express our deepest apologies.

We hope to welcome you at Rio de Janeiro once again, for better impressions.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The carpet in the room I was given was the worst I have ever experienced. Soiled with some blue substance. I was to tired to insist on a room change the night I arrived, reported the next morning to have it cleaned or change room. Waste of time. The hotel is beeing sold , the current owner does not spend a dime to maintain it at an except able level . Do not stay there until the new owner cleans it up

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank piringer46

Dear Guest,

We regret the inconvenience concerning the carpet. We are working on this matter and truthfully express our deepest apologies.

Thank you again for your cooperation and hope to welcome you in your next visit to Rio de Janeiro.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The location – that is what makes this hotel the best on the Ipanema beach. Just across the stripe of beautiful white sand and with full beach service included (chairs and umbrellas) the hotel makes your holiday well organized. The property itself is clean and well maintained, the rooms are big and welcoming, the breakfast is great but inappropriate expensive, so is the internet. The thing which I liked very much (although it might sound funny) is the toiletries in the bathroom. The smell of magnolia vine is amazing and the quality is very high. And now the bad point. We were there as a party of 13. In 2 rooms the money were stolen from the safe!!! After my friends realized that we went to the reception and complaint. The staff there promised that the investigation would start immediately. After that I went up to my room and counted the money in the safe (I was having a single room). Then we all left for dinner. After I came back I checked the safe again and… 300 USD were missing. I couldn’t believe my eyes and recounted the notes several times. But 3 notes were missing. I went to the reception and requested to speak to the security manager. As during my absence only one person entered my room – to put the newspaper, dim the lights and close the curtains for the night – it was quite easy to investigate. Thought I. But the reception still insisted that I made a written statement.
During 5 remaining days we were checking at the reception about the progress of the investigation and were told that it is on the way and that the police was included into the search for the employees who have stolen our money. On the day of the departure when we were expecting some results nothing came but a simple “sorry” and advice to go to the police and complaint there. As a little compensation we were not charged for using the internet but what is it in comparison with ca. 2 500 USD which went missing?
So… my advice: keep the money with you or find the bank and put it in the deposit box. The hotel does not have the safe at the reception.
After what happened we went to check the other hotels in the area. Caeser Park is still the best if you think of the location, service and price. We intend to come to Rio this one more time, and most probably we will stay at this hotel again but never use the safe.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Svetlana A
Managing_Director_RJ, Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

In November of last year when this was brought to our attention, we informed the necessity to go to DEAT which is the tourist police, specially because there was no evidence of the mentioned and the Hotel would not be able to make an investigation since this is not our area of expertise, also because the safe was not tempered with, and the code that only the guest had was what was used to open the safe.
We had mentioned other times about the need to go to DEAT before the check out time.
When I received your e-mail in January, I sent an e-mail asking if you had gone to the DEAT and if you had a document in order for the Hotel to make a request on how the process was been handled but I have never received any replay. In this case we could not request anything from them since there was no document registered for us to do so.

With our Best Regards,