“Avoid this place if you can”

PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel
Ranked #18 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We just stayed for 5 nights at the Porto Bay and were very disappointed.

First, the pros: The hotel is well located, right on the beach in Copacabana. The staff in reception were helpful, and really did try to fix the problems described below (albeit unsuccessfully). The breakfast is good. And, if you stay in a suite, the view is fabulous. The shower pressure is great.

Now, the cons: Critical in Rio-- the air conditioning is sub-par, and won't keep the room cool, even when left on non-stop. We sweated all night every night, even though maintenance came up three times to try to fix it. (I personally think the hotel is "cheaping out", trying to save money on their electricity bill). Even from the 14th floor we were kept awake by street noise, meaning that the windows are not thick enough or are single-glazed. Similarly, we could hear the people above us walking around at night, which also kept us awake-- because the floors are wood, instead of carpet. The place has lots of deferred maintenance. Our sink leaked. Our safe had to be fixed. We had to go back downstairs several times because our room keys stopped working. There were lots of little things-- like the loose shower handles. There is inadequate lighting in the bedroom. The design of the bathroom sink is such that if you turn on the water even to medium pressure, the water soaks you. There are only two small elevators, which meant that we often had to wait a long time for one to come. The breakfast was the same every day, without any noticeable changes. The manager was never around (or was unwilling to deal with clients), and since the reception staff were powerless to fix anything, we had no recourse.

The reception staff obviously know there are problems-- one of them encouraged me to write a review on TripAdvisor, because, and I quote: "We can't get management to fix anything-- maybe if they hear it from [you] they'll listen".

Overall, a very poor experience. Try staying somewhere else.

3  Thank Intrepid_Traveler_8
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your comments concerning your recent stay at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel and we sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations.

Regarding your comments about the air conditioning we are taking note to improve at that aspect. All criticisms are taken constructively, as they are a valuable path to helps us get our services better. We have reviewed your feedback in detail with our maintenance manager.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Warm Regards from Porto Bay!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have just stayed at this Hotel and really enjoyed it.We felt our stay was perfect and could not have been improved in anyway.The staff were pleasant and helpful,and the food was excellent and we loved having the pool area as the weather was really hot when we were there.It has great views over the beach although we had a room that did not face the beach.
I would recommend this to anyone visiting Rio as a good position with a lot of places to eat near by right on the beach and easy for touring the City I also felt very safe in Rio and I had felt concerned before I arrived about safety,but felt quite happy getting taxis at night and walking to restaurants near by. Breakfast was really good with amazing choice of anything you might like.

Room Tip: Beach facing room would be nice
4  Thank nestcottage

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful detailed review. We are so delighted to read all your comments about the service from our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the food and pool area. Thank you for choosing Porto Bay Rio Internacional and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Warmest Regards!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed one night in January; we were leaving to go to a wedding and it was more convenient to stay here than at our apartment. I liked it; some friends of ours had stayed there some years ago when they were visiting Rio. Friendly staff, efficient service, we asked them to order a driver for us and he was excellent. Great breakfast, shame we really didn't get to sample the rest of the delights like the rooftop bar.

2  Thank pwarne

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in staying at Porto Bay Rio Internacional, and for sharing your experience here at Trip Advisor.
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your lovely comments about our staff will be certainly shared with everyone.
Will be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Warm regards from Rio,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Located across the road from Copacabana beach
Our room was on 14th floor,arrived about 11am
Fantastic, our room was available
The rooms were great, well appointed, a great nites sleep on a great big bed,
We had a corner balcony room , the view over the beach, amazing
Both day and nite too, always something to look at
Very very little traffic noise to
Bathroom is a bit small but so what, also very well appointed
Plenty of space in the living area
So glad we picked this hotel , not to many have a balcony
Had lunch at the hotel restaurant
A real home cooked meal, yummmm
Breakfast included with the room, spoilt for choice, everything u could want, hot and cold dishes
The staff there were great, helpful since English is not widely spoken,they helped so much , many thx to Lius and Angela
The rooftop has a pool and newly opened gym sauna etc
Great views and u even can see Christ the redeemer from there
Looks along both sides of a Copa,
Felt very safe in Rio, contrary to what we were told
Ipanema is a short taxi ride away
Good shopping , we walked it too, about an hour each way and u really feel the city
Barra, shopping centre is further-by taxi but well worth a visit
Our 1st time in South America and it did not disappoint
Stay here again, yes!
No other place we liked , it's the balcony that did the job

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Crooz
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our as your accommodation choice during your recent stay Rio and for taking the time to complete your review, there is no greater pleasure for the direction and whole team, than having met your expectations during your stay at Porto Bay Rio International. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, we are always trying our best to make our guests satisfied. Hope to welcome you again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Yes I know charmful isn't a word but I didn't want to say that it isn't charming.. because I have to say that one of the noteworthy features of this hotel is its very charming and helpful staff. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left they went above and beyond with a very cheerful attitude. Top marks to the staff.

I think this hotel lacks "kerb appeal" for sure, but really I don't think many of the hotels on the Cocacabana strip are particularly beautiful. The Porto Bay is a bit 70's highrise but inside it has been kept pristine and doesn't feel too dated. Nevertheless, on my itinerary of about 6 hotels in S America it was the one I was looking forward to least. But really I was delighted on arrival because actually it is quite smart inside.

Location - brilliant. You can visit everything from here. I had a room with a "side" view of the beach and I really had quite an excellent view over the sweep of the bay. Weather was poor though so not as spectacular as it could have been. I had not picked up from the agent that I would have a terrace, so that was a nice bonus. You are 5 mins from a metro station here and I did use it - on my own - no problem whatsoever - I felt perfectly safe and it was clean and cool.

Room - not the biggest ever but a decent double. Bed was super comfortable - high quality linens which I think always say something about a hotel. I don't think they mention on the website that rooms do have tea/coffee making facilities. A nice touch. Bathroom small but superb water pressure - always goes down well with me.

Restaurant - very good breakfast selection. The restaurant has a brilliant view of the beach and waterfront. Get down early for a window seat. I looked forward to breakfast every day - fruit that you won't find in a European supermarket, fresh oatmeal, lovely breads and some local specialities. The same restaurant is used for dinner. I only ate there once but the food was very decent (bit toppy on price) but service a tad erratic. I can forgive that because I am on holiday. Probably wouldn't be so happy if I had invited guests.

The pool and gym were being renovated when I visited. I didn't mind so much about the pool as I always planned to use the beach on my short visit anyway. In the end the weather meant that this was indeed no issue whatsoever. I considered changing hotel prior to my visit because of the gym being shut but I decided to try the Cocacabana and Ipanema beachside runs and really... brilliant! Anyone who enjoys running should try this. Its a great workout, thoroughly scenic and fabulous people watching! Also felt perfectly safe.

I was perfectly happy with the Porto Bay and would use it again. I have already recommended to friends visiting for the football next year.

Room Tip: a side room on a high floor might be a bit cheaper than the full ocean view but you are likely to ge...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank OverworkedUnderpaid

Dear guest,

Thank you for your preference in staying at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, and for sharing in detail your experience here at Trip Advisor. We are really proud that your overall impression was excellent, and for your great comments regarding our staff, restaurant, room and location. We are very happy to know that you will highly recommend us.

We look forward to welcome you again!

Best Regards,
Font Office Manager

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in January. We arrived very late and the check-on process was very quick and smooth. The room had a limited view of Copacabana beach, which was nice. Since this is a beach hotel it wasn't surprising that the room was fairly "sandy" on the floor. The breakfast was great - large and plenty of seating, good quality. The best thing about the hotel for us is the location. It is across the street from Copacabana beach, and in a good spot on the beach for just hanging around, walking the beach, proximity to restaurants. Overall, very good experience.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mlrstl

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in Rio and for taking the time to complete your review.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our room with a beautiful view to Copacabana beach breakfast and location.

We hope to welcome you again very soon,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the Porto Bay Rio in December. On arrival we were greeted with a drink in the roof top bar where there is a swimming pool and wonderful views of Copacabana beach and Christ the Redeemer. Our room was spacious and comfortable.There was a wide variety of choice for breakfast served in the dining room overlooking the beach. The hotel is in an excellent location with many restaurants nearby. We would definitely stay here again if we were to return to Rio. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as yours and to know we are caring for our guest properly. We hope to welcome you again!

Warm Regards from Porto Bay!