We just stayed for 5 nights at the Porto Bay and were very disappointed.
First, the pros: The hotel is well located, right on the beach in Copacabana. The staff in reception were helpful, and really did try to fix the problems described below (albeit unsuccessfully). The breakfast is good. And, if you stay in a suite, the view is fabulous. The shower pressure is great.
Now, the cons: Critical in Rio-- the air conditioning is sub-par, and won't keep the room cool, even when left on non-stop. We sweated all night every night, even though maintenance came up three times to try to fix it. (I personally think the hotel is "cheaping out", trying to save money on their electricity bill). Even from the 14th floor we were kept awake by street noise, meaning that the windows are not thick enough or are single-glazed. Similarly, we could hear the people above us walking around at night, which also kept us awake-- because the floors are wood, instead of carpet. The place has lots of deferred maintenance. Our sink leaked. Our safe had to be fixed. We had to go back downstairs several times because our room keys stopped working. There were lots of little things-- like the loose shower handles. There is inadequate lighting in the bedroom. The design of the bathroom sink is such that if you turn on the water even to medium pressure, the water soaks you. There are only two small elevators, which meant that we often had to wait a long time for one to come. The breakfast was the same every day, without any noticeable changes. The manager was never around (or was unwilling to deal with clients), and since the reception staff were powerless to fix anything, we had no recourse.
The reception staff obviously know there are problems-- one of them encouraged me to write a review on TripAdvisor, because, and I quote: "We can't get management to fix anything-- maybe if they hear it from [you] they'll listen".
Overall, a very poor experience. Try staying somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Right on Copacabana beach in the spectacular city of Rio de Janeiro, PortoBay Rio Internacional offers you the best of two worlds - the sensational city and a breathtaking view over the beach right on the doorstep... Step into Rio Internacional and feel at home - make the most of your stay! Look out over Copacabana beach and revitalise yourself with the sea breeze. The ideal location for an unforgettable holiday or to counter the stress of a day's work in Rio ... 117 apartments/rooms decorated in the best taste... a range of flavours at La Finestra and a roof-top pool with stunning views over Copacabana beach and Corcovado... The hotel PortoBay Rio Internacional offers free Wi-Fi throughout the whole hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Internacional Hotel
- Hotel Porto Bay Rio Internacional
- PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil