“Great hotel right on the beach”

Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel
Ranked #14 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel right on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We upgraded to this hotel through our travel agent and was not disappointed. The hotel is brilliant at catering for all of your needs. The rooms are extremly spacious and the balconys lloking over the beach are brilliant. We was lucky enough to be staying here during valentines day so enjoyed a fantastic meal in the hotel restaurant which was fantastic. The beach kiosk is a great idea being able to order food and drink and charge it to your room from the beach therefore eliminating the need to take cash out.......it can get dangerous ordering beer to the room all day though :-)
The review would not be complete without mentioning the roof top pool......the pictures do not do it justice.

2 Thank Dazzla89
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel as your accomodation in Rio.
We are so delighted to read all your comments about our room, restaurant, the kiosk at the beach and roof top pool. Thank you for your choice to use our services, and in order to achieve this aim, it is always important to know your opinion on it. We will really happy to welcome you again.

Warm Regards from Porto Bay!

Yours faithfully,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've just left the hotel, been there for the weekend of FIFA's Confederations Cup: Some comments:
-Reservation C- : Very intimidated about the 600 dollars fare/night, I have called the reservations to ask if there was a better price. I have got a very rude treatment, have only decided to keep the choice because of the very good reviews and also because of the lack of options for the date.
-Breakfast: A+ . Good variety of fruits, bakery and very good coffee. The view to Copacabana beach is awesome. I only missed the Brazilian traditional "pão de queijo" , a delicious bread made of cheese. Nothing that would ruin the very diverse breakfast.
-Room: A- New, big enough, good forniture, great bed and pillows. Tv set, however, was poorly spotted, not very good for your neck. I have got the cheapest room.
-Room service: First night at the hotel, ordered meat with my girlfriend. Beautiful presentation, but it wasn't very tasty. We haven't repeated the other days. Ordered a pizza delivery from another place and asked the service for silverware. It took almost 25 minutes and when I called again haven't heard it nice. The other bad thing was the cab the hotel claims to work with them. The morning I left, he refused to drive me to an atm and to the airport later, and suggested i took another one. That really pissed me off. I don't want to be unfair, the receptionists were always nice and professional all over our stay, so did the waiters.
Beach: The hotel has a kiosk so you don't need to take money to the beach across the street, which is really good, and has also a free service of beach chairs and towels. The hotel is in a good spot of the beach, as well.
Pool: coolest thing about the place, 20th floor, small but one of the prettiest views of all times, with a good pool bar and a small gym aside.
Overall experience, very good, with a few issues, but still the best place i've been in rio so far, I would come back with a better price.

2 Thank Dante M
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in Rio and for taking the time to complete your review.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our room, the beautiful view to Copacabana beach from the pool area. Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions,and we really apologize for any inconvenience you had.

We hope to welcome you again very soon,
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a great hotel right on Copacabana Beach. The rooms are typical of hotel rooms for this part of the world. They do have air conditioning which only stays on when you leave the room key in the slot, so bring an extra card to leave in when you are out. I read reviews complaining about the noise, I didn't find that to be a problem, I travel with ear plugs and usually use them in hotels and did not find the need to do so in this one. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that the beds are hard. I like hard beds, but these are very hard. I think it is typical for the European type mattresses that most places use though. My room was not at the front of the hotel, so I had a view of a side-street and the beach. I felt it was adequate for the location. The building is 20 stories, so the views will be varied, I was on the 6th floor, so closer to the traffic that people complain about, and I could hear the ocean waves out on the balcony, which is the place to see the ocean from.

The pool at the top of the building is typical for this part of the world, not heated, small, and it was only about 3 feet deep, which makes sense for a roof-top. The views from here were great though. The breakfast buffet was top-notch, the only thing it was missing that a more upscale hotel might have would be a chef to make you personal omelets. The fruit selection is marvelous and good. I was very satisfied with the selection of food and the waiters provided excellent coffee and tea service. They are very friendly and work to please even the most picky people and I traveled with one of those. He had no complaints, which is unusual.

The other amazing thing about the location of this hotel, it is one block down from the famous Copacabana Palace by the way, is that on the street on the southside of this hotel there is a wonderful little cafe with scrumptious foods. One of the surprising treats was a roast beef and pineapple panini which might sound like an odd combination, but it is a delightful combination. There is a full-scale restaurant that this cafe is associated with across the street, we didn't try it because we liked the intimate cafe and found the staff there to be wonderful, but if the cafe is just a preview, I would try the other if I were to go back to Rio.

The service at this hotel was excellent in every way. They called taxi's or had car drivers standing by. It is cheaper to take a taxi, but not by much. Their car drivers are good and some speak some english. This was the service that picked us up at the airport. They are prompt and do a great job getting you to where-ever you need to go. The front desk was prompt in taking care of any needs we had and they spoke great english. The hotel security pays attention to details and what you are up to, even if you don't tell them what you are doing. We discovered this our last evening there when we went to have one last sand-castle building time on the beach around near sunset. We were playing with the kids and having fun, but this "guy" kept watching us and made my sister nervous. He turned out to be our hotel security guy who was specifically assigned to come lookout for us at the beach. We were grateful that they had such a sharp and on the spot security service. We were there at a time that demonstrations were expected and security let us know about that 12 hours before they were expected and they had a plan as to how to handle the dangers that may arise. Fortunately we didn't need to see them execute their plan, but it was very reassuring to know that they look out for guests in every way and it such a way you may not be aware that they are doing their job.

Rio is a place you need to be alert and watch your surroundings. We didn't have any problems, but we were away from the soccer venues which is where they were seeing more problems. We did use the city bus system, it is very user friendly and there are information kiosks near the popular tourist spots where you can get helpful brochures that tell you exactly what bus you need to go where.

If I ever go back to Rio I would stay at Porto Bay again. $250 seems a high price, but when you look around, it is a great deal for the location and for the Rio area.

Room Tip: My room on the south was very quiet for a hotel room. I did not experience any A/C unit noise, it w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TeacherDoris
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful detailed review. We are so delighted to read all your comments about our service, confortable rooms, beach service and courteous staff.
I already shared your appraisal with everyone and they were really happy to know that they exceeded your expectations.
Thank you for choosing Porto Bay Rio Internacional and we hope to host you again in the near future!

Best Regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a good hotel right by Copacabana beach.

The good:
- Location. Probably one of the best location on the Copacabana strip. It's right by the beach with lots of restaurants close by.
- Great buffet breakfast. The selection was huge, there is no way you are going hungry whatever your food preferences are.
- Service was good and very professional.
- They have a section on the beach with chairs for the hotel guests.
- Rooms. This is specifically for the corner suite. The view from the suite is simply amazing, the beach on one side and mountains on the other side. That view made up for other shortcomings of this hotel. Rooms were well kept and spacious.

The bad:
- Rooms/hotel. Wait, didn't I just put this in the good category? Well, the high floor corner suite view made up for some things but still fell short in some places. Bathrooms are tiny (getting in through the small shower door can be challenging). The other types of rooms didn't look very spacious. The corridors smelled damp, getting an elevator during check out/breakfast wasn't easy, part of the hotel felt dated e.t.c. There is definitely room for improvement before it can be rated a top hotel.
- Price. Most hotels in Copacabana are expensive and this one is no exception. You are paying for the name and location. Is it worth that much? May be, may be not. It's not one of those pricey hotels that will wow you, good but not great. Splurge on a corner suite if you can. The nearby Windsor Copa hotel was a great value instead (see my separate review).

Other:
- Watch for the door stop, that metal piece could easily hurt your toes especially when wearing sandals! They seriously need to change this design.

Overall this is not quite a top/4 star hotel but still pretty good with one of the best locations.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheTravellingG
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your motivating and helpful feedback. There is no greater pleasure for the direction and whole team to receive such comments as yours, and we are really happy you enjoyed your view from the room, breakfast and service. We read carefully all the issues you pointed out and we assure you that we will take the necessary corrections and improvements. We hope to see you back soon!

Warm Regards from Porto Bay,

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed in the Porto Bay hotel in Rio in April this year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the suites at the front of the hotel and enjoyed the magnificant sweeping views of Copacabana beach from the balcony. The suite was nicely furnished and spacious, perfect for when you are sharing with children. It was so relaxing to wander out onto the balcony and just watch what was going on at the beach. Breakfast was amazing; an enormous feast of food awaited us every morning and was thoroughly delicious. But you can burn those calories off in the rooftop swimming pool and gym - with views of Christ the Redeemer in one direction and Sugar Loaf Mountain in the other. The thing that made this hotel stand out for me was its customer service, all the staff were so polite and friendly and dedicated to making your stay as comfortable as possible. From supplying you with complimentay towels, sun shades and loungers at the beach to the service you receive at the restaurant or the poolside, its all carried out to a high standard. A thank you to Janaina for efficiently organising our booking, and an extra special thanks to Francesca Lins and Amanda Vieira who really looked after us when we stayed there. With such obvious dedication to customer service, I would not be surprised to return to trip adviser at some point and find that the Porto Bay Hotel had moved up a slot to be the number one hotel in Rio de Janeiro.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are really proud that your overall impression was excellent, and we are very happy about the comments regarding our staff especially those that are mentioned. We will be informing all the staff about your positive observations to motivate them even further.

Sincerely Grateful,
sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Good all round hotel. Nicely appointed room but very noisy from road and from air conditioning units situated outside. Good bathroom with quality gels and soaps. Excellent buffet breakfast, lots of fresh fruit. Buffet lunch also very good. Pool terrace small but with lovely views. Disappointed that it was closed twice for private functions while we were there. We had been looking forward to relaxing there after a hard days' sightseeing. Free bikes for 2 hours enabled us to cycle to Ipanema beach and around the lake. Check they are safe as the saddle collapsed causing one of us to fall off injuring arm, hands and leg. Pharmacy next door did a grand job of patching him up. Staff all very efficient and helpful with fluent English. Very good base for visiting the sights. Excellent bus service to all of them.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room, further away from road noise and air conditioning units
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in staying at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, and for sharing your experience here at Trip Advisor.
We are so glad to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast, and your lovely comments about our staff will be certainly shared with everyone.
In reply to your descriptions about the pool that was closed, I would like to apologize again and I would like to inform you that we a renovating the pool are, so that won´t happen again. We hope to welcome you again!

Sincerely Grateful,
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

It was my first trip to Rio and we landed up in this perfectly located hotel. To one side the beach of Copacabana and to the other the hills and the Corcovado with HIM - like a guard. A nice hotel in Brasil seems to be expensive and so is this one. It has a wonderful roof top garden, a bit small but the view is breathtaking. The staff is friendly and helpful. Especially Carlos, a waiter in the breakfast room and in the bar on top made us feel at home. Although his English was not very good, he made our stay in his best Brasenglish.

The breakfast itself was good, the usual selection of hot dishes and fruits etc. But the small cake selection was really great as well as the coffee - surprisingly coffee in Brazil is not always good.

What we did not like was the cleanliness in the bathroom and bed room, bathroom needs a revamp. Bit old style and run down. The cushions also need to be replaced; maybe not with feathers again.

Yes, we would recommend this hotel and would love to come back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your motivating and helpful feedback. We greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions regarding our breakfast, marvelous view of Copacabana Beach and very friendly staff. Thank you for your choice to use our services, and in order to achieve this aim, it is always important to know your opinion on it.

We look forward to hearing from you in the near future!

Best regards,