PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$108
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$609
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$105
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Transamerica Prime Barra(Rio de Janeiro)
$55
$76
  • Beachfront
Hotel Mar Palace Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$62
$58
  • Pool
Hotel Regina(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$56
$47
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$115
$98
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Atlantico Rio(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$47
$45
$522
$473
  • Beachfront
2,532 results
All reviewsporto bay hotelrooftop poolcopacabana beachchrist the redeemersparkling winetop flooroverlooking the beachexcellent hotelpanoramic viewcorner roomsugarloaf mountainwelcome drinksugar loafour honeymoonbreakfast roomstayed here for nightsbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2011

It's not a swanky place like Copa Palace, but it has a non-pretentious, homey feel. Excellent service from the Reception desk, very helpful in providing info and changing our reais to smaller denominations. They let us check out 2 hours later than normal because of our flight schedule.

The room itself (#1003) is great. Fabulous view of Copa from the floor to ceiling windows. Bed is big and comfy. Had an in-room safe, little fridge and kettle. There's also an iPod dock which is quite a nice touch. Hotel itself is in a great location. Right across the beach, and a few blocks from the Cardeal Arcoverde subway station that we used extensively to get around Rio.

Breakfast starts the day the right way, enough choices to please everyone. Love the fresh fruits and juices. Prompt & friendly service from the wait staff.

I've read a review/forum comment somewhere on TA that they were charged a 10% service charge fee upon check out. We booked via expedia.ca and all we paid for extra at check out were the local calls we made in our hotel room.

We are very happy with our choice of hotel, and we're thankful to TA reviewers for pointing us to the right direction. What could be done to improve the Porto Bay Rio experience? Free wi-fi =)

1  Thank julia1211
AVieiraRiodeJaneiro, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions regarding our service, breakfast and comfort rooms.It is a big pleasure to hear that you are very happy with your choice, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again very soon.

Sincerely Grateful,

Aline Vieira.
Front Offfice Manager.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had certain worries about staying on Copacobana beach but reviews were so positive for this hotel that we went for it. Everything, from the moment we entered the hotel until leaving three days later was superb. It is relatively small, for the location, so staff welcome everyone as a friend. We were in a standard room but if anything this was better than the ocean front suites that, although they boasted full beach views, would not have given us the magnificent view of both the Corcovado and the coast - it was the 17th floor though, so possibly lower floors may not have such spectacular views.
We ate at the beautiful, roof top, pool bar for lunch snacks and also in the panoramic 5th floor restaurant for enormous breakfasts - both were great quality food and attentive service.
When we needed a late check out for our 7.30pm departure, we were offered the room until 4.00pm, a service that often carries a 50% surcharge. This was provided with grace and a smile although the hotel was fully booked.
We were interested in visiting other ares of the city and although the reception staff offered the 'Tailor Made' tours they also suggested all the local bus and metro routes to take in the same sights at a fraction of the cost. Likewise, they suggested the best restaurants of every ethnicity and for every pocket. Does it get any better than this for a city center hotel in one of the world's most famous destinations AND at an affordable rate?

1  Thank David C
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We only had 3 nights in Rio but enjoyed everything about Porto Bay, especially the staff at breakfast. The rooftop 'pool' is tiny but great views and a handy place to relax for a few hours

1  Thank susie-q
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Room had view of beach and Christ the Redemer. Roof top pool with view of beach and Sugar Loaf and Corcovado. Sun chairs and beach service available for hotel guests. Only thing that let it down was the dreadful service in the restaurent

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NessySomerset
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This review is long over do.
Let me start by saying this hotel was literally a life saver for me.
A little history; I travel to Rio de Janeiro about 5 times a year, and have been for the last 6 years.
My first choice of Hotel is always the Porto Bay, Rio International Hotel on Copacabana Beach.
The hotel itself is modern and with all the amenities, but what truly makes this Hotel top of its class, is the staff.
From the moment I walk into the lobby to check in, all throughout my stay, and even upon my usual “late” check out, I have the distinct pleasure to be among friends. I always receive a warm welcome, greeted by name, and handed a cool glass of champagne while I check in.

My last stay was just this past January (2011), and what they provided was invaluable.
Typically, after work, I either use the workout room upstairs overlooking the pool, or I go for a jog alongside the beach. On this particular day, I returned to my room after my beach side run and cool down walk. I showered and dressed for a light dinner. Just about the time I was ready to leave, I started to feel a pain in my chest. It wasn’t long before I realized I was in trouble. As I sat on the edge of the bed, I called down to the front desk and I spoke with Luciana and stated my condition and pain. She immediately sent Luciano to my room to assist me as she called a doctor.
In less than a minute I was able to describe my pain to the physician on the phone and he stated that I needed to get to the hospital in Copacabana immediately. By the time I reached the lobby with Luciano, Luciana already had a car waiting for me. She instructed Luciano to accompany me to the hospital and assist with anything I required. Note; my Portuguese speaking ability, at best, is marginal so having someone with me during this was a blessing for me that she provided. I owe her much more than my Thanks and warm wishes could ever provide.
To shorten this a little, Yes, I had a Heart Attack, and the care I received from Copa Dor Hospital was outstanding.
While I was in recovery, Francesca (Guest Relations) from the Hotel came by to see me and wished me well, and to let me know that everyone was glad to hear I was recovering.
Which takes me back to where I started this review, This Hotel is outstanding in all functions, but what makes this place a truly wonderful experience, every time I travel there, Is the Staff….

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business