“Good Location, Basic, Tired, OK by Rio standards”

Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza
Ranked #117 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is good being close to Ipanema beach with various bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Having visited Rio many times I have not yet found what I would call a good hotel. Standards are generally low compared to other locations around the world and central Rio hotels seem to trade on their location and don't try very hard to justify their cost and this is another one. Room small, tired, fairly clean but quite basic. Feels like a run down apartment building. Breakfast limited and uninspired. Did not try dinner here but plenty of good places nearby. Service was un-enthusiastic. I will continue to try to find a good hotel in Rio and am unlikely to return to this one.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views others do not. Recommend trying to get one with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WellTravelledAbdn
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinions with other guests of this website.

The hotel is located in a very valued city area and our rates are consistent with the other hotels in Ipanema. We have various categories of rooms, many of them much larger and better view.

We will go through structural reforms and services to better serve our guests. We hope to do better in next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed July 18, 2013

A great view from the rooftop pool. Nice enough staff, but they seem very overwhelmed. But frankly, I felt it was a little dirty. When I got in (which was a saturday night in Rio) there was a mystery stain on the mirror in the elevator. The next day it was gone, but... When the elevator doors opened to my floor the door to the right was broken, dirty and hanging ajar. Very creepy. And I got no wifi service (which is not password protected) in my room. I switched the next day.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank elizabethoflaherty
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your opinion about the Hotel. Ipanema Plaza is really in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, near Ipanema’s beach and the bests bars in the City.

However, we noticed that you had some inconveniences and we apologize for that bad impression you may had.

Management

Reviewed June 27, 2013

As you can read from other reviews, the general hotel standards and star ratings from most of the world do not apply to Rio De Janeiro. In most places this hotel would be 2 to 3 star rating. There are some positive aspects, but I would probably not stay here again.

PROS:
-Location. This is a fantastic location in Ipanema Beach. The water is visible from some of the rooms and it's a 2 minute walk from the lobby. The area felt very safe even at night. There are plenty of restaurants and juice bars within walking distance.
-View. The view from the rooftop pool was very nice with the beach on one side and Corcovado and the mountains on the other side.
-Breakfast was decent.

CONS:
-Price. Very expensive for what you get.
-Rooms. The quality of the rooms was not up to my expectations. They need some major remodeling. The bathroom door had some dry rot and some mildew. There are no carpets on the floor, so walking barefoot in the room is not ideal. The floors were not very clean.
-Bed. Very hard. No cushion.
-Wifi. Very poor reception in the room. Had to put the laptop close to the door to get signal. I'm sure this varies by room location.

General Observations: I would definitely stay in Ipanema Beach again. Rio was a great city. I think the reputation of being unsafe is not merited. We felt very safe walking around Ipanema and Copacabana, even the inside streets. As with travel anywhere in the world, same precautions apply.

The food was fantastic. Definitely try some of the local flavor. Also try the juice shops on most street corners.

I would not rent a car, as cabs are plentiful, safe and inexpensive. It cost between $5-10 for most trips.

I would visit Shopping Leblon if you can. It is a high end shopping mall that is great for interacting with people away from the tourist areas. I would highly recommend Rascal Restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank advoc8
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear guest,

The Ipanema Plaza Hotel is in a great location in the city, close to the beaches and several restaurants. The daily rates are compatible with the location and other hotels in Ipanema.

Our wi-fi service is free all guests and goes through a process of reformulation.

In order to improve our services, your opinion was very important to us.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the hotel around Carnival time.. The room had a great view over the vity, the pool was nice.. all in all I liked this hotel.

One thing I didn't really like was the bfast buffet.. just seemed a little old. Other than that.. loved it

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting you opinion about the Ipanema Plaza Hotel.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to receive you here again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Location is great and very convinient. It's near many restaurants and stores, and 1 block from the beach. The rooms are standard, but clean. The internet connection is poor. It's difficult to get continuous connection. I hated the costumer service provided by this hoter. Like the previous posts from other guests, the front desk and bell boys are indifferent. They don't bother to greet you or even smile. I stood in line for over half an hour checking in and even longer when checking out. The front desk were very slow and doesn't know how to multi-task. There was only one person in front of me and the front desk didn't even bother to look at me or at least acknowlege me,, so irritating. They really need some training on customer service. You are not allowed to have a guest to your room even for a few minutes. I asked the front desk if my friend can wait in the room and I was rejected. I was told have to pay US $50 extra dollars. I was like for waiting with me in the room for few minutes? It ridicolous. I will never stay in this hotel again. Very Poor Service, Over Price, but Good Location.... Still not worth it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear guest,

This is definitely not our conduct with our guests, we are always looking for the good service and we are constantly focused on this issue. In any case, your comments will be considered.

For us, the safety of our customers is very important and that's why we require the identification of visitors and a charge for the visit.

Certain of your understanding,

Sincerely.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The only reason I rated this place Average is because of the great location. We arrived early on Saturday, May 25th way before the check-in time of 3PM. We have been traveling for about 24 hours and we’re hoping we can get our room early but realized our chances were slim. There was a voluptuous lady and a dark-skinned male behind the counter. A smile goes a long way and these two did not greet us with a smile. As expected we were told to come back around 2PM to check if our room was available. I checked at 2PM and I was told no by the lady. She didn't even made me feel like she checked or gave me a possible time. I checked again at 2:30PM and was told no and again did provide me with a possible time. Finally, 3:15PM came along and of course our room is now available. All the prior hotels I have been to (and I've been to a lot all over the world) have all accommodated me with an early check-in. I felt like the people working reception did not even try to get the room ready early since we have been there since the morning and have come a long way to visit their country. The reception staff needs some major customer service training. The only thing I liked about this hotel was the location. A block from the beach, lots of cafes/restaurants nearby, grocery store a couple of blocks away, a block from the Hippie Market held on Sundays and two Citibanks nearby. Also, there's a bike rental place by the Hippie Market. They have ones you can rent off the street but you need to register online and have a cell phone handy. This bike rental place was nice and affordable. They close off one side of the street on Sundays by the beach so a perfect time to rent a bike and ride through Ipanema Beach to Copacabana. If someone from the hotel is reading this review, please train your reception people. Be nice, be friendly, be accommodating and smile! They are in the service industry. They should know this already! Oh and one more thing, service was so slow. They need to learn how to work faster and more efficiently!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jack3dYok3d
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear guest, good afternoon.

First of all, thank you for sharing your opinion about us.

We have a policy of check in time (3 p.m.) and check out (12 a.m) in our hotel that must surely have been advised by your agency or reservation confirmations. However, it is possible to have an early check in, subject to availability.

It is not our work conduct to leave the guests waiting for long hours for the apartment. In case of an early arrival, and if, at the moment there is no possibility of an early check in, we use to offer the hotel's common areas such as the swimming pool and pool bar while we provide accommodations. We did not find in our registers this complaint and we are very interested in that case.

We apologize for the inconvenients you had and ask you to get in touch with us to know more details of what really happened.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The location of the hotel is very good.

The staff knows good english and its easy to communicate.

The internet in our rooms got disconnected continusley do it was difficult to work.

There are planty of places to eat clise by and 24 hours room service

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We are glad to see that you had a good stay in our hotel. About the location, in fact, the Ipanema Plaza Hotel is really in an unbeatable place, only a few steps from the beach and restaurants.

We want to make things much better for the next stay with us. Thank you for your kind words.