“location good, as well as restaurant but rooms need restauration”

Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza
Ranked #114 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel has a small hall, rooms look old fashioned and in the details the rooms look over-aged sometimes. Food is asiatic in lunch and dinner times but this is a welcome change! The bar is too small inside but no need: you can go to the Davassa bar opposite with nice waiters.
The hotel offers a space and chairs/towels on the beach. The rood terrace has a small pool and fitness space and and a very small bar.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you to give us your feedback!

Your comments will help us to evaluate our efforts and improve the services extended to our guests. Your observations were considered and for sure your opinions will contribute with our quality standard.

We are sorry for the inconvenients and we hope making better next time. Will be a plesure to have you here again betimes!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel and great location a block from the beach.....terrific views on upper floors to the sea.
Also, great for eating out locally and ease of going out in the evenings.
The hotel also has a good Asian restaurant and breakfast possibilities are almost endless.
Rooms are a bit tired but clean and well maintained.
In Rio this hotel is great value!

Room Tip: Go as high as possible for the views
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your opinion about the Hotel. Ipanema Plaza is really in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, near Ipanema’s beach and the bests places in the City.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to receive you here again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at Ipanema Plaza in July 2010. I was traveling by myself and what I liked the most about the hotel was the location, 2 blocks from the beach and literally in the middle of many restaurants and cafes, and also at walking distance from Copacabana, Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, and shopping malls. The area is one of the safest in Rio and I always felt totally at ease walking around at every hour of the day, even at night, considering in July it gets dark around 5 pm. The hotel is well kept, and the staff is very polite and helpful. I have never seen a bigger bed than the one my room had, I'm serious, it went beyond any California King size I've ever seen! The bathroom was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of luxury or contemporary look, but definitely clean and more than acceptable. When I go back to Rio (and I know I will!) I would have no problem staying here again. When I went in 2010 the price had been in my opinion more than fair for the kind of quality and treatment I received.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your opinion about us. Ipanema Plaza is really in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, near Ipanema’s beach and the bests places in the city.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and looking forward to receive you here again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This must have been our ninth year at this hotel, the main reason being the location half a block from the beach and walking distance to several restaurants and shops. But location isn't the only reason. True, Brasil has become more expensive in recent years and that has applied to hotel prices in particular and with the Olympics and World Cup coming up this trend is bound to continue, but all things considered the IP is still good value for money compared with other hotels. Some comments:
Front Desk and concierge: Courteous, friendly and efficient.
Rooms: Good size, comfortable beds.
Bathroom in need of refurbishment but great shower.
Internet: Wifi available in room and worked well (unlike last year!)
Restaurant:Good lunch/dinner menu. . Good breakfast but very busy at weekends.
Beach service: Umbrellas tend to be taken by 10 am at weekends. Need more.
Breakfast and umbrella comments may be due to busy Easter weekend.
To summarise: A very enjoyable stay. Shall return

1  Thank geoffhodd
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for give and share you opinion with the others guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Rio with us.

Your comments will help us to evaluate our efforts and improve the services extended to our guests. Your observations about the bathroom and the beach service were considered and for sure your opinions will contribute with our quality standard.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed during a business trip. Lack of WiFi was a big disadvantage. No cofee/Tea facility in the room and with breakfast starting at 06:30 AM, a big inconvenience for early risers like me. Even the breakfast is nothing special except for the selection of fresh fruits.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank arvid59
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for giving your opinion. We would like to apologize for the inconvinientes that you may have had during your stay here

We hope making better next time. Will be a plesure to have you here again betimes!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

There's much to be said for the location of the Ipanema Plaza. Sadly, there's little else I can say about this property that's positive (with the possible exceptions of the breakfast and the nice view from the very small, otherwise unattractive rooftop pool deck).

As other reviewers have noted, the Ipanema Plaza charges a tremendous premium for its location (I paid about $400/night during my 1 week stay), and, in turn, delivers indifferent and/or incompetent service. By way of illustration, the WiFi in my room (which was on the supposedly "boutique" Ipanema Floor) did not work at any point during my stay (requiring me to spend hours sitting in the lobby returning work e-mails). I raised this problem with the front desk staff on at least a daily basis, explaining that there was simply no signal in my room. On each occasion, they offered an excuse. On some days, they insisted that I was using the wrong sign-in credentials (I was not). On other days, they insisted that the weather was to blame (it was not -- the internet did not work when it was rainy; it did not work when it was sunny). They even suggested, at one point, that Brazil simply has poor internet service (I had no problems when I attempted to use WiFi in other venues in Rio).

At any other hotel purporting to be a high-end property, management would have apologized when I raised this problem in the first instance, and then resolved it promptly (and, if unable to resolve it, made some symbolic gesture in recognition of the fact that a guest was not receiving the level of service for which he had paid). That's Hospitality 101. No one in management at the Ipanema Plaza offered me any sort of apology. Nor did the hotel take any tangible steps to fix the WiFi in my room (although one service manager represented to me that the hotel was looking into the problem).

The deficiencies in service at the Ipanema Plaza are by no means limited to its inability to provide paying guests with a working internet connection. Another example: the hotel has an attendant on the beach to provide guests with beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, and the like. When I and my boyfriend arrived on the beach, the attendant had no towels and told us to return to the hotel to get some. The staff in the lobby refused to provide us towels, insisting that they were available on the beach (and, apparently, only on the beach). It took my boyfriend (an experienced litigator) 10 minutes to persuade the front desk staff to relinquish two beach towels.

One final example: when we checked out, the staff at the front desk could not be bothered to ask us how our stay was, or to thank us for staying at the Ipanema Plaza (or otherwise articulate any of the other parting sentiments that front desk staff the world over invariably offer to departing guests). I would be hard-pressed to come up with a more vivid expression of indifference.

Spend your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: I have no reason to believe that the Ipanema Floor is worth the extra money. You'll still be st...
3  Thank JCR10024
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Client,

Thank you to give us your feedback. We are sorry about the inconvinients and the bad impression we may have left.

Ipanema Plaza apologizes for the bad experience that did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

If one is a traveler that needs WIFI/internet access, choose another hotel. During my 7 day stay, it was virtually impossible to access (or, sustain acces to) the internet. Management's response was, at best, indifference...in keeping with its overall approach to guest services. Also, the property is tired and in need of refreshing in both the public spaces and the rooms. I paid a substantial premium for a room on the Ipanema floor and there were no apparent benefits. In fact, it was inconsistently stocked with towels, toilet paper, etc. and lacked any information about the hotel, its services and amenities, etc. Finally, at check-out, the staff insisted that WIFI was not free (until shown my reservation) and refused to substantiate numerous charges. On balance, at one time, this may have been a good hotel but no longer.

Room Tip: Do not pay the premium for a room on the Ipanema floor(s)...there is no value in additional services...
1  Thank James W M
Iplaza, Manager at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Best regards,