“In the middle of Carnival”

Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza
Ranked #114 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel literally is on the street where the party never ends for Carnival. It was a little over-priced but I expect all properties raise their rates during this celebration. The room was clean, bed very comfortable. The bathroom was also clean but in need of some minor cosmetic repairs. The staff were friendly and very helpful in planning what to do while there. You are literally one block from Ipanema Beach and the hotel provides a nice umbrella, chair, towel service for guests. At first I thought I would look for another property next year but after spending a week here, I will certainly return next year.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered "10" are the largest rooms in the hotel. ex: 210, 310, 410
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Good location, very close to the beach. We stayed during Carnaval and it was definitely in the middle of all the action - street party each night right in front of the hotel. The room itself was okay except for a leak under the bathroom sink that kept the floor wet for 3 days. We asked twice for it to be repaired but it wasn't. Breakfast buffet is included and was very good with a variety of hot and cold choices.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was in Rio for Carnival and the city is bustling with gay guys hanging around, especially on Farme de Amoedo street. Being single, nothing more natural that, finding a guy attractive, you take him to your room for some private moments. NOT AT THIS HOTEL. My friend - who was at the hotel - and I arrived after a party and the security guard told us to register me at the front desk. I am very used to this procedure as hotels in Brazil usually take caution and asks visitors to identify theirselves. But, the front desk staff simply refused me to get into. They told it was a double room and it was already registered to two people (he and his other friend who wasn't there at the moment). We argued that I was going up only for drinks and the security guard interrupted the argument in a very rude way. My friend and I were very embarrassed with the situation: it was like we were doing something illegal or immoral. Then I asked if there was somewhere else we could go to be by ourselves around this hotel. They couldn't recommend me any other hotel or motel. Well, for me that's enough for not staying there: they can't make you feel at home, they embarass you with awkward management policies and they can't give any other solutions for the problems they make. I didn't stay here and won't ever stay. PS: it costs around USD 500 per night in carnaval period.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Paulista1977
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Bring your own cleaning supplies as well as a mop and broom. Restaurant was okay. Fresh fruit each morning, be early though. Our room had a bug problem as every day the floor was slick with pesticide by the window. This is a budget holiday hotel. But hotels are expensive in this neighbourhood. Would not go back if booking myself. Unfortunately I will be back in February for another 2 weeks as the company is doing the booking.
Staff were unfriendly. After ten days of saying good morning in my best Portuguese, finally got a reluctant reply from a few of the staff.

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor possible to stay above the street noise. Garbage truck came around 2 to 3 a...
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The welcome my colleague and I received upon arrival really didn't endear me to this hotel. The man at the front desk was REALLY rude, to the point where I actually said to him (as politely as I could,) "There's no need to be rude to us." It helped a bit, but I ran into the same man several times during my stay and found him shockingly rude.
The rooms are average. They're a good size and the beds are nice with good, clean sheets. The room itself was kept clean (housekeeping staff was very good.) The air conditioning was a bit of a problem. It's necessary to have it on otherwise the room gets really stuffy, but although there is a control panel, it doesn't seem to actually control the air conditioning. You basically have the on/off option and that's about it. If you have an option for which room to get, go for the 05 room, on any floor. That's the only one with a view.
The bathroom was decent. The shower had good water pressure, although the shower head obviously isn't cleaned that often. It sprayed water everywhere, even with the shower curtain pulled across.
The breakfast buffet is ok. It's nice that they offer it and there's an ok selection, although if you're staying at the hotel for more than a few days, you'll quickly get bored with the food. It's the same every day. Room service was good.
Safety-wise, this hotel was pretty good. I didn't feel unsafe at any point, and each room comes with an in-room safe for your valuables. I forgot to close mine one day and housekeeping came through... no problems.
The pool area is ok, although with the beach so nearby, I don't know why you'd bother with the small pool. There's a generator on the top of the hotel which makes sitting poolside a very noisy experience!
In general, I would say this hotel is "alright." I haven't stayed anywhere else in the area, so I can't compare. The reception staff (or at least one or two of them in particular) really need to step up their game as the attitude we received on arrival was almost enough to make me recommend not going there. But the hotel itself is decent.

Room Tip: Whichever floor you're on, choose the 05 room. Best view!
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had been there about 3/4 years ago. I was told it had been remodeled. Not really. Halls still have strong mold smell. So did the restaurant. Air conditioning was way too cold and although there is a control in the room it will not change the temperature; all you can do is turn it off. Bed id nice and room size OK. Went to an event on the roof top bar. Food was really bad. Breakfast has many choices bu none look really good. Corporate rate at 500 reais (about 250 dollars) is way more than it is worth. Staff is nice but does not make up for the flaws. It has 18 floors and 2 elevators. Think about it... PS Location is great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Iplaza, Gerente de relações públicas at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Client,

We would like to apologize for the bad impression and thank you for giving your sincerely opinion.
We are sorry for the inconvenients and we hope making better next time. Will be a plesure to have you here again betimes!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Rooms were clean but for $300-400/night, very expensive. Granted, you're a block from the beach and there is a pool on the roof. Breakfast was just fair, not a huge selection and every day it was the same thing. I was really annoyed that they charge R$20 a day for internet, despite the fact that we were already paying hundreds a night for the room. They have a decent rooftop with gym, pool, and lounge area but they close it at 8pm! I never got back to the hotel until around then so I couldn't enjoy the gym or the rooftop at night. Additionally, the safe didn't work and the room didn't have an iron/ironing board, which I needed. Can't beat the location, though!

Dear Client,

We are very sorry for the inconvenients and we hope making better next time. Will be a plesure to have you here again betimes! Thank you to give us your feedback!

Warm Regards,