“Stay here only if you have no other options”

Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza
Ranked #111 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the 'famous'(?!) Ipanema Plaza for one night. Unfortunately, you don't get what you pay for here. We paid about US$300 for a room barely above street level - the front of the hotel might be on a quiet street but one side of it is on a busy road, of which we could hear everything! We booked a room the same day and when we asked to change rooms, we were told there were none available? Hard to swallow considering how late we were able to book the room. The old hotel smells like stale smoke and the bathrooms are from the 70s. The breakfast was like a school canteen (gross) and the roof top pool is okay but all you can hear are the air-conditioning fans and exhausts. Also worth a mention, after we checked-in we were told our luggage would be sent up. We waited half an hour and then I gave up and went downstairs and got them myself. They were left completely unattended and no one even noticed me taking them. Wifi didn't work also. I don't enjoy writing bad reviews but I really feel that if you're going to spend US$300 (which is pretty much the norm for Rio) consider staying in a B&B or pousada instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Iplaza, Gerente de relações públicas at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Client,

Thank you for giving your opinion. We would like to apologize for the inconvinientes that you may have had during your stay here.

We hope we are able to restore your faith in our hotel and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. We will make sure you won’t regret yourself next time.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ipanema is the best location to stay in Rio and Ipanema Plaza is on the best location.The breakfast buffet is very good.Lots of shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops (Nespresso- Ipanema is the best espresso maker) are in walking distance. If you stay on a sunday, do not miss the Hippie market.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrWorldTraveler
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Moved here from another hotel that was a dump (see Copa Sul) Much better place. Large room with a decent bed, good linens, and 4 pillows. A/C worked well. Only room complaint was the towels were worn out and needed to be replaced. Construction in the hotel could be heard through the walls, and it seemed like every hotel in Rio comes with a hammer crew..LOL. Ask the desk to have your room cleaned when you go out, the maids don't seem to pay attention to the door hanger signs. Put a points card or something in the key card slot to keep the A/C going while you are out. Hotel is a block off the beach. Lots of Restaurants and shopping near by. Citibank ATM 2 blocks away. Hotel authorized non metered cabs available out front. English speaking staff. Opium sushi restaurant in the hotel is average to good.Lobby bar had good coffee and can make whatever you want to drink. Drop off laundry a block away. Roof pool and gym was good. Nice place for a 2 week stay. Not a bad Hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor, away from the street noise.
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in a great position, one block away to Ipanema's beach and a couple of blocks away to the main street.
It's located in a safe position, even if it's a 'gay-friendly-zone', and you can feel comfortable also walkin' alone in the night.
The hotel is clean and my room too.
Good buffet for breakfast.
Beautiful terrace with a good view and a small but comfy pool and bar.
Wi-fi only under payment. C'mon... we're in 2013!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have already given this hotel 5 stars, now it only deserves 2. I have stayed several times there, but in the last ones, I saw rooms not well maintained, problems with pumbling (noises), hot water that does not work properly (one night it did not work at all), ants in the room, air conditioning that works poorly. It is very sad, because this hotel used to be a very good, now you can see that is going down the hill, very decadent. Too bad. The location is great, though.

Room Tip: That is the trick of this hotel, some rooms are good, some have problems with pumbling, air conditio...

Dear Guest,
After reading your review, we are extremely disappointed for not being able to fulfill your expectations about our hotel service.
We apologize for all the issues faced and for the discomfort caused.
Your feedback will be considered to improve our service reducing the errors in the daily operation.
We hope making better next time. Will be a plesure to have you here again betimes!
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in October and paid $315. per night for an "Executive King Bed" room. I thought that was cheap price because I was looking at other places that were in the 500-800 USD range. It had been recently renovated and the fixtures and decor were modern and tasteful in a minimalist way. It is about 1 block from the beach, with a welcoming and non-intimidating entrance. There aren't a lot of ocean-facing rooms and ours wasn't. However it is within walking distance of a few hip eateries, the restaurant where "Girl from Ipanema" was written, a Bossa Nova live music club, coffee shops, and shopping stuff, as well as a place to change money, etc.

It was clean and the staff was helpful and many spoke English (not common in Brazil!). They booked a private English-speaking guide for us and she was great. It cost 250. USD for 4-5 hours driving up to the Corcovado, Favelas de Santa Marta, and the Sugarloaf. My boyfriend was horrified at the expense but Brazil is expensive in general and I met other people who paid a lot more.

It is a gay friendly hotel and very friendly in general. Everyone warned us to stay in Ipanema because it is safer and the beaches are cleaner. However, I couldn't tell the difference between Ipanema and Copacabana beaches and both seemed equally clean in an urban way. I saw the Porto Bay Hotel and Copacabana Palace in Cobacabana and they looked exquisite and classy. I didn't see dangerous elements over there, so I wish I had stayed there to enjoy the amazing luxury style of old Rio. This Ipanema Plaza hotel seemed good for people on a budget but I wouldn't go there as newlyweds or for a very special romantic thing. But it was very nice considering the price was a lot cheaper than the ones directly on the beach.

I hate high rises but in Rio, everything is tall near the ocean. This place did have windows that opened, and it didn't feel too big and corporate so that was nice. Also there is a little pool on top with a minimal bar area. The breakfast is free with the room and was bounteous and good. The restaurant at later hours in the day though wasn't very good in our opinion. Walk a block or two for better food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nico848
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Oh what a pitty when I saw that the hotel which was booked in Rio, Ipanema beach, was not on the avenue in front of sea. How is it possible, Even for the business, even for a night, it's compulsory. And it seems that the organizers don't know this minimal aspect of well being, specially when you worked all the day.
Having said that, the Ipanema Plaza is a total anonymous hotel without any charm, the lobby is small, the pool on the roof is small and with the odors from the kitchen, the breakfast is good in a small cafeteria, and the wifi, oh scandal !, has to be paid 20 reales a day !!!
The room was big, too big, with a dormitorium and an added room for tv ???, why ?, good shower, good bed and mattrass, no view from the windows.
So just a sad place where you sleep because you are tired, and you are here to work. But where never I would like to come back, having paid ... more than 200 euros a night. My God! Fortunately it was just for a night.
Only one good point, 5 minutes walking, you are on the beach, and the view, early moring, is just marvelous, good for the soul.

1  Thank jcbolay