“Luxury”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #73 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My stay at the Sofitel Rio was on a whole well above average. For my first time in Rio, being across the road from the infamous Copacabana was a must, and the location didn't disappoint. The restaurant and breakfast area provided what i believe is one of the best views of the beach (see image provided), and it certainly makes it feel like paradise. The location is also a nice 10 minute stroll from Ipanema beach and the shopping provided.

TIP- if you are in town on Sunday go to the Ipanema markets.

There are other beachside restaurants all nearby the Sofitel (altho I was highly disappointed with the recommendation provided by the concierge). However the concierge does everything for you as expected in a 5 star hotel, organise cars, tours, transfers, and provide local knowledge of must dos. I was a little disappointed with the lack of brochures to provide inspiration of activities outside the beach. The poolside restaurant I went to twice and provided a lovely ambience, relaxed environment and good service. The menu was delicious. The bar provided fun entertainment on weekend nights, and easy to go to if you were travelling solo for a bit of fun (although this proved noisy if your room was close by).

The room was small but comfortable. Nothing overly exciting but service was worthy. Laundry prices were well and beyond ridiculous. But free wifi was provided (if you only wanted to check your emails) or faster pace for a fee. I found the free wifi enabled me to skype home without any hassels so felt that was fine. The water for the bath was less than impressive. I'm not sure if this was the hotel or Rio, but in other parts of Sth America in 3 star hotels I know I had no problems with clear water for a bath.

The public areas were always impressive. I feel for the price this hotel could provide more, larger rooms and less noise, less added on fees.

The pools were stunning. 1 pool for the morning sun and 1 pool for the afternoon sun with bar service. People around the pool are also friendly and you feel more than safe to leave belongings around.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank luci321
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Indeed we are perfectly located in famous Copacabana and a few minutes from the most trendy neighborhood in Rio, Ipanema.

I am very glad to read about your magnifique stay with us. I thank you for pointing out the overall superb service provided to you all over the hotel. We love to indulge our guests.

We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was only here for two days but found the staff to be helpful pleasant. The location is outstanding. The food was good and the accommodations very comfortable. My room was a good size with a very comfortable bed and a really great shower. It's not inexpensive but given the location and service it's understandable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank J H
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Indeed we are perfectly located between Copacabana and Ipanema. This is extremely convenient for both professional and leisure purposes.

I thank you for pointing out the overall superb service provided to you all over the hotel. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer.

A bientôt,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Sofitel is located at the beginning of the Copacabana, right across the Fortress. Spectacular view if you have a front side room. Having breakfast in the morning, outside on the restaurant terrace is absolutely a highlight. Hotel infrastructure is outdated, prices are high, Rio-like ...

Room Tip: front side!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Bonjour and thank you for your comment.

Indeed we have a perfect view of Copacabana beach from the Atlantis restaurant.
We hope to welcome you back very soon in order to create more magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located at the junction of Copacobana and Ipanema Beaches as well as the Copacobana Historical Museum across the street. Our room faced the pool, but we could hear the ocean with the sliding door open. Note-with the slider open, the AC is disabled.
Great location. Excellent staff and wonderful food.

Room Tip: A pool view room had less street noise, but still allowed us to hear the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

I am really glad to hear that the whole team has pampered you as we do it with all of our guests. We cannot help it.

Thank you for mentioning the "wonderful" food served in our restaurant.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My stay at the Sofitel, Copacabana was not bad at all on the whole, but certainly not worth the 500 dollars, or more, per night which I paid for a very average size room.
There were lots of plus points: the small balcony with a seaview, the service provided by the concierge, the quality of food at breakfast etc.
However, the most important thing in a hotel is the quality and size of the room, and this disappointed me, especially in relation to the price I paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank RDuffin
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear guest,

First and foremost, I am deeply saddened by the fact that your stay in our hotel apparently did not happen in the best conditions. I assure you our complete compassion and wish your perception would have been otherwise.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us; and I take it very seriously.

I remain at your entire disposition to further discuss the matter through the email sofitelrio@sofitel.com.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Not everything about this hotel is poor but after staying 4 nights my overall feeling was one of huge disappointment. I hoped to be dazzled by Rio (which I was) and I hoped to be dazzled by this Sofitel (and I most definitely wasn't). This is an expensive hotel living off the fact that it has a fantastic location with views along the whole length of Copacabana beach. My main concern is that the rooms are tiny and the bathrooms even smaller and we were on the "executive" 8th floor. The room sizes are not "5 star" and never will be. In addition, the bathroom had no bath only a shower and strange shutter doors as a proper door wouldn't fit. How many "5 star" hotels only have a shower? This should be a Novotel not a Sofitel. There were no tea & coffee making facilities in the room but there was a minibar where the soft drinks and local beer were included in the room rate. The room description stated that we had a terrace - this must have got lost in translation as it was a small balcony.
Significant parts of the public areas are in need of major refurbishment and with a year to go until the World Cup and then the Olympics after that this hotel should really be closed for a major refurbishment. The "temporary" wood and plastic structure over the 1st floor breakfast area was an embarrassment and significant parts of the executive lounge were in need of refurbishment - more than just a touch of paint. Strangely the executive lounge is at the back of the hotel and therefore misses out on any view along Copacabana beach. The lounge is also primarily set up for dining with only one small sofa area - much more a dining room than a lounge. Some good bits - the breakfast in the lounge was excellent - very well presented and free alcoholic drinks were available all evening which is unusual. The lounge was mostly deserted at any of the times we visited so space was never a problem.

The airport transfer arranged by the hotel was approx £90 and not even in a hotel car but a local taxi (although a nice one). A metered taxi would cost you a quarter of that price so I feel the hotel price is extortionate. I wouldn't use the hotel transfer in future as it is not necessary to pay that premium. They also charge large additional fees should you arrive late so beware.

One final irritation was the hotel laundry arrangements. Our bellboy told us our room rate included 1 item of laundry per stay and my wife and I both gained the impression that was 1 item per person. Why this is one item per stay and not per night I'll never know as the room rate doesn't reduce for subsequent nights. When we got the final bill we were incorrectly charged for both items of laundry. The hotel would only reduce the bill for one of the two items, even after a call to the general manager, and insisted on charging for the 2nd item. They were quite happy to argue over £6 laundry bill which we submitted in good faith when over total bill was well over £1000. A great way to antagonise your customers - well done Sofitel. It is this that makes me believe the hotel is thinking and acting in a very short term manner - not investing in their property and not recognising the value of their customers.

The staff greet you in French - strange in Brazil.

Room Tip: Only worth staying here for the view of Copacabana beach so if your room doesn't have one then I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris J

Dear Mr. Chris J,

First and foremost, I am deeply saddened by the fact that your stay in our hotel was not up to your standards and it did not meet your expectations. Customer service and satisfaction is of paramount importance to us and I appreciate you taking the time to share your observations with us.

Mr. Chris J, I am truly saddened by the unfortunate experience you had with us in particularly you not being impressed with the interior of the hotel, which we are working on.
Here at the Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana we strive to exceed all our guest expectations and to provide them with the highest possible level of service and for failing to do so in your case, I sincerely apologize.

I remain at your disposal to further discuss the matter through the email sofitelrio@sofitel.com.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed 4 nights for a conference in mid-May. Hotel is nice but would not consider it a 5-star. Location is good, just across the street from the beach. Staff was polite.
The room was ok, decent size, and nice small balcony with partial view of the ocean. Bathroom was spacious; I particularly liked the shower’s water pressure. Safebox was a bit small (could not fit my laptop). Mini bar was nicely stocked. They provided two small bottles of water daily, which was nice.
I ordered room service a few times. Breakfast was ok, just ordered granola with yogurt and juice. It was nice to have breakfast on the balcony overlooking the ocean. I ordered dinner once, fish with veggies, which was just ok, salad was fresh and abundant.
I did not get a chance to visit the restaurants but they looked nice. I had drinks at the pool bar one day, and both setting and service were good.
The beach area was dissappointing – the lounge chairs provided were really old with dirty, old cushions. They told me at the concierge desk that they provide free water and fruit, yet I was not offered anything when I went nor told where to get them. The attendant at the beach who handed the towels (pretty old as well) seemed bored and not much interested in providing service.
Overall, ok hotel but not impressed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Vero_PK

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

Indeed we are perfectly located and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt that the staff was very attentive.

I am sorry to hear that our beach service did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that I will forward your comments to my team.