“A Good Choice in Rio”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was there on business for one night and did not pay for the room. The room was small but well furnished and laid out--same for the bathroom. Quite quiet as it has double pane windows and then an air space for the balcony before another window. the room had good storage space--closet, drawers, in-room safe, and has a nice outlook. The service was excellent. The last time I was in Rio I stayed at the Interconinental which was simply disgusting. This is a much, much better choice, and is certainly a good location with a comfortable room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Well we had one of the best views of Copacabana Beach from our room at the Sofitel. We looked straight down the beach. What a fabulous way to wake up looking out at Copacabana!!!
Fabulous spot - close to Ipanema/Leblon.
Had one of the best meals at their restaurant - the Amazonian degustation was amazing!!! Well worth the expense.
The hotel is well worth staying at although on the pricey side. Location Location Location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PeterS6
Reviewed October 12, 2011

What is the point to be treated very well in a 5 stars hotel which serves you food out of date !
I have spent last weekend at the sofitel in Rio de Janeiro in the club millesime, which is the top category of this hotel. On the sunday i have taken salmon during my breakfast. The taste was awful. I have almost vomited on the table ! I have called the manager who told me that I was not used to smoked salmon and the salmon was ok !! Nevertheless I have noticed that he has removed all the salmon from the serving table. At my surprise I have found 2 days later an article in the rio de janeiro's newspaper which related that the police went to 5 hotels in Rio inclued the sofitel to check the quality of the food due to large amount of complaints of customers about the freshness of the food ! They have taken food out of date from the sofitel and the chef and other people were taken to police station for investigation. This confirmed my suspicion about the quality of the food in this hotel. When I called 2 days later for explanation, sofitel did not bother to reply to me.
How can sofitel serve food out of date, putting the life of their customers in danger intentionaly. Someone has decided to put this salmon on the table knowing that it was out of date.
We did not deserve this kind of treatment from of 5 stars hotel !!

here the link of the article of the newpaper which relate the incident :

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank XavierJA
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Loved this hotel and our view over Copacabana Beach!!!!! Views up to Sugarloaf.

Hotel is situated in good location on Copacabana Beach. Breakfast was outside on the terrace each morning a excellent variety of food. Waiters weren't very good had to ask them a few times for cultery and coffee also not very good at clearing plates away.

No free Wifi but if you stand outside hotel you get free WiFi. I don't know why larger hotels want to charge you for WiFi.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank AussieKathy
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This review is very LONG overdue, but I still think about this hotel as one of my favorite anywhere. We stayed here in Dec 2007. Wow!! We were given a poolside room upon check in, which was in the un-refurbished part of the hotel. I called the front desk telling them that we'd love to have an ocean view, as we were fulfilling a very long dream of visiting Rio and voila - perhaps one of the loveliest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Modern, beautiful, clean, with a perfect little balcony overlooking the beach. The hotel is right at the end of the beach - a quick walk across the street to the lovely beach. The staff was some of the friendliest I've ever encountered. And the Restaurante Le Pre Catelan -- I thought I would pass out the food was so incredible! I wish I could remember all the details, but I can't imagine how it couldn't be just as amazing today.

Room Tip: Ask for the refurbished part (although it all may be by now) and an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jessicajds
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We were very pleased with the service we received from the staff at this well situated hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were very friendly and polite. There are stunning views of Copacabana beach from some of the rooms in the hotel and we upgraded to ensure we got one of these. The room we had was quite spacious with a lovely shower (I would prefer a bath option!), fluffy bath towels, bath robes and slippers. The breakfast bar had very good choices. The staff were very prompt with the coffee and juices and always happy to bring out more should you require it. I would certainly consider staying at this hotel again if I was to return to Rio De Janeiro.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank stanleyDurham
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at Sofitel Rio on Copacabana while visiting Brazil for Rock in Rio.  While somewhat far to travel to the festival, we were very happy with the beachfront property and the accommodations.  As mentioned in other reviews, the Sofitel is located at the end of the Copacabana beach, right next to Ipanema. It is a great location.  We stayed on the executive level floor and had a great beachfront ocean view from the terrace.  This was our first Sofitel experience, and when booking, we were unaware of the benefits of staying on the executive level floor.  Breakfast, mid-day wine tasting, and an open bar from 6-midnight was provided daily.  The breakfast was delicious on a level with amazing views.  The room was very nice - updated, clean, and very comfortable - with a complimentary mini beverage and snack bar.  The hotel staff and concierge were helpful in arranging taxis and private cars to the festival, as well as Corcovado.  One of our drivers, who we had on two separate occasions, was particularly helpful, interesting, and informative.  Also, one of my favorite things about this hotel was the fragrance in the lobby and common areas.  Very pleasant and welcoming - makes you want to stay even longer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple