“Superb”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #73 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We travel 2 adult and our girl 14 year. Big nice and clean room! Everyone at the hotel were very nice and serviceminded. The breakfast was really nice and fronted beside the pool and the nice view over Copacabana. The gym was exellent. The free beachbed also very nice and again the people working at this hotel very polite and serviceminded. The hotel has a perfect place betwin the two big beaches. The concierge had many good recomends om restaurants and so on. Take the gondol to the SugarLeafe and a car up to Cristo.
Dont hesitate to book this hotel if you can afford it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank lunde22
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana

Reviewed June 14, 2011

The hotel is located well, right between Copacabana and Ipanema. Truth be told we were hardly in Copa and mostly at Ipanema. The rooms are nice and spacious, quiet. Breakfast is good on a beautiful deck. The place is not cheap but if you get a good price then definitely go for it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I must say, having read previous reviews, I was most concerned about staying here. In the end, I had nothing to worry about -- I was very pleasantly surprised.

As everyone says, the views are spectacular. I had a fantastic view along Copacabana beach from my little balcony. My room was nice, modern, with a great bathroom (loved the L'Occitane toileteries). Some of the older reviews talked about security problems; I had none whatsoever. There's a safe in each room.

The breakfast buffet was huge and impressive: everything from exotic fruits to a chef preparing fresh omelettes and waffles. The bar, also overlooking the beach, was the best place to sip on a caipirinha with colleagues.

I made good use of the gym, and most times I was the only one there. Huge and well-equipped with modern machines, with staff on hand to offer any assistance needed. There's a sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi -- again, I had them all to myself on the days I was there.

All over the hotel, the staff were very, very friendly and professional. I was truly made to feel welcome and would definitely go back (and hopefully will, on holiday next time).

More generally, being a woman travelling by herself, I was really concerned about my safety, having heard stories from so many people about themselves or friends having been mugged. At first I was very cautious, wearing no jewellery and carrying no handbag, but as I walked around the Copacabana and Ipanema areas, I felt quite safe. At night, if I needed to get around, the yellow taxis were dependable. I felt safer in Rio (at least in the tourist areas) than some other big cities around the world.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank BaselLisa
Reviewed May 19, 2011

The "luxurious" Sofitel Rio in Copacabana has only one good point : the location, out of that everything looks freeze at 20 years ago, when probably spending some time were worthwhile.
From the check in/out area where you can spend hours waiting for your turn if you are in a rush hour, to the rooms ( I got a 55 square meters room, large enough but absolutely old, without the normal amenities you are looking for in a "luxurious " hotel and inadequate for the price I did pay), passing through the breakfast (large selection but poor quality), the swimming-pool (are you kidding? that's a pool?), the restaurant Atlantis (if you like freezing that's the place you will love) and so on. The only thing I want to save is the personal which I found helpfull. By the way for almost 600 euros a night, I had to pay the Internet connection!! It looks that the only "luxurious" thing was the price!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Fab65Roma_Italy
AnaTrope, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Dear M. Fab65Roma_Italy, bonjour

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

I would like to inform you that situations such as these are not common at our hotel.

In our hotel, we have two swimming pools, one which favors the morning sun and the other which is ideal in the afternoon sun. We are performing renovation in many areas of the hotel, including one of the swimming pools, exactly to provide our guests a better service.

We offer L´Occitane amenities for all the apartments of the hotel. We are very surprised you have note received them in your room. That being said that, I would be very pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you again, and hopefully improve the impression that you had about us. Please, let me know when you plan to come to Rio, so I can personally take care of your reservation as well anything else you may need.

Yours Sincerely,

Alban Dutemple
Hotel Manager
Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana

Reviewed April 26, 2011

I struggled with where to stay during our Rio getaway. Copacabana vs Ipanema. The Sofitel offered the best of both worlds. An easy walk to both beaches, a unique corner that was less touristy than the strip on either side, and great service by US standards but still a taste of Brazillian culture. The Fasano was our second choice but it could have been a W Hotel in any city and cost twice as much as the Sofitel. Go there for a drink and call it a day! All the other hotels seemed similar along the strip, some nicer than others but essentially the same in decor and locale with minor differences. Very happy and I travel a lot and am picky.

Room Tip: Ocean front deluxe for sure!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Great location. Best bread in Rio, a little run down needs renovation

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed at the Sofitel for four nights. It is in an excellent location between Copacabana and Ipanema beaches and we had a spacious room with a balcony and a sea view. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms spotlessly clean. The bathrooms are very good with excellent showers. The hotel has some excellent facilities with a large gym with a huge range of equipment and two swimming pools with lots of sunbeds. Breakfasts are excellent especially after the early morning rush with a huge choice. Evening meals are very good too with particulary good waiting staff and an exceptional view across the Rio skyline. Other hotel staff are friendly and very competent. Wifi is an extra and is relatively expensive.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple