“one of the best hotels I have stayed at”
Review of Sol Ipanema Hotel

Sol Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #76 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed here for 6 nights from 5th Dec 2010. The room was big, modern and very clean. Breakfast was included and there was a great selection to suit all tastes. I found the staff here very friendly although sometimes the staff at the main reception were not so. The bar man at the small roof-top terrace/pool was the best, always smiling and up beat. Location of this hotel is excellent, right opposite Ipanema beach in the heart of Ipanema. Free towels, deck chairs and parasols are provided by the hotel. Ipanema is a good location to stay in Rio, I felt perfectly safe,being a single female traveller that is important. Great Bistro called Zaza's around the corner from the hotel, def recommend a meal there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sol Ipanema Hotel

Reviewed December 7, 2010

This hotel is located in a great location right on Ipanema Beach. Simply walk out the front door cross the road and sit down to an ice cold beer on the beach! There are loads of small restaurants one or two blocks inland from the main avenue. The hotel offers a very nice breakfast that is included with all rooms I believe that offers all types of eggs meats and fruits that should keep you filled for the whole day. The hotel is independently operated, so don't expect the same Best Western as you would see in the US, but the hotel is very clean and organized and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are bit small and of the beds are bit small, but overall it is a wonderful hotel right on the beach. There are cheaper options off of the beach, but if you really want to experience beachfront life on Ipanema Beach this hotel is really a great option.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I was expecting a lot more from this hotel! Our room had very recently been renovated; so recent that they had just finished applying stone sealer to the tiles in the bathroom and they were airing it out when we checked in. Not being able to stand the heat and humidity, we had to close the window and turn on the AC. We left for the day and noticed the odor still present when we returned that night. After trying to sleep for several hours, I realized my headache and nausea were due to the fumes from the stone sealer and so I was up at 1 in the morning washing it off the shower, which seemed to be where the chemical odor was emanating from. When I complained to the front desk the next day, as well as bringing to their attention that we had paid for a king bed but we only had a queen, I was met with a cheerful smile and a shake of the head, like they couldn't understand what I was talking about. As time progressed, the odor diminished, but the room was not really ready to be used at the time we were put in it.

We also had paid more for what we thought was an ocean view or at least a higher floor, but we were stuck on the fifth floor, overlooking an alley. They are still working on parts of the hotel below us, and with the windows open on those levels, it makes for a lot of noise echoing off the alley behind the hotel as they are jackhammering and pounding below.

The shower has a nice big showerhead, but unfortunately the water temperature fluctuates constantly between icy cold and scalding hot, with no happy mediium.

The breakfast buffet is excellent and they have a nice selection of tropical fruit and juice, as well as delicious pastries.

The location is right on the beach and is good, although there was a serious outbreak of gang violence even in Ipanema just as we were leaving town. I would have felt safer up in Leblon.

The computers in the business center are charged at 45 cents per minutes and are slow. The front desk does not stock the printer with paper until requested to do so, and even then, we could never get the printer to work, and the staff would do nothing to help us, just the usual smile and nod.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at the end of September. The rooms are big (for Rio) and clean and tidy. Good bathroom and good TV service and mini-bar etc. Only slight downside is that the rooms on the front are a bit noisy, due to the road. Although it did not bother us as we went out every night, so slept well!
Breakfast is in a nice room overlooking Ipanema beach and is a decent multi -national buffet.

The location is perfect. On Ipanema beach to the front and all the bars, restaurants and shops of Ipanema at the rear.

Special mention to the guys on the front desk, especially Mervyn. All of them really helpful. Full of local knowledge, restaurants, bus routes etc. Plus, their exchange rate on foreign exchange is the best we got in Brazil - change your money there.

All in all, a great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The hotel could not have a better location. Our room was facing the beach and you could seriously stay here all day watching people come and go. You could but really,... just cross the street and enjoy it by yourself! the Hotel gives you a sun chair complementary with your room.
We only had one breakfast at the hotel, it was average, I recommend to go around and try one of the many restaurant Ipanema has to offer.
The only thing that was a bit painful is the noise coming from outside, but if you are here to enjoy the Rio nightlife, this will not cause any problem

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The hotel is in a great location right on Ipanema. The roof terrace and bar at the tops has amaing view all along the seafrom and if you look out the back to see Christ the Redeemer.

I was disappointed ith the rooms, I didnt expect Luxury but I thought they would be nicer. Mine felt like a cheap spanish hotel. and the whining air conditioning unit didnt make for a good nights sleep

The internet connection is dialbolical. i paid for my connection and then it was so slow that it took 2-3 minutes to load a webpage depending on the time of day.

I only ate in the restaurant at breakfast time and it was nice.

I would be inclined to look for something else if I visited Rio again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Amazing views. Small but clean rooms. Amazing staff. Sometimes you get ants in the rooms but that happens in the tropics pretty much anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business