“Wonderful hotel... euro style on the beach”
Review of Sol Ipanema Hotel

Sol Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #64 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wonderful hotel... euro style on the beach”
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I was in brazil on business and went to rio for a weekend, staying at the Sol Ipanema. It was wonderful, the photos do not do justice. It reminded me of a 4-star hotel in europe... simple and small but clean and well appointed. Bathrooms have marble, the lobby is well lit and has a bar. The rooftop view is great. The exercise room is small but you can see the corcovaco while you work out... the window even opens.

I stayed in a room facing inland, and frankly I liked it better than an ocean view because it was very quiet, zero road noise. You see some apartments and the mountains, it's fine.

The neighborhood of Ipanema is very nice. You could spend days here without leaving, no taxi required unless you want to visit copacabana or other sight seeing.

Breakfast is ok, the best part is the view of the beach while you eat.

The staff is very polite and accomodating, I had a very good experience compared to other reviewers here. I lost my room key in the ocean and they politely replaced it. I needed a late check out and that was no problem. Getting a taxi was easy. And here is the most amazing thing... I dropped my credit card outside and someone actually turned it in to the hotel, where they called me and returned it. This was in RIO where people say it's dangerous. I thought it was more family - friendly than a beach in miami or los angeles.

On Saturday night I had planned to go to copacabana or some other night club action... but I wandered across the street from the hotel and there was a small music group playing at a beach side hut ... beer and snacks sold on the side walk, directly in front of the sol ipanema. After about two hours this turned into a full party for about 50 people who started dancing to salsa guitar. I never went anywhere else, just stayed at this little party across from the hotel. Very memorable and fun. People were kind and upbeat. Everything is clean, beach is clean, etc.

I'd definately go back to Rio and very likely stay at Sol Ipanema again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We stayed here for a week and had a great experience. The location is fantastic, beautiful ocean views, the rooms are clean and modern with free internet, and the breakfast is complimentary and very good - all for a reasonable price. AND, the staff is wonderful and very honest. I left a valuable watch in the hotel safe on checkout, and they found it and mailed it to me in the US! I was very impressed and am grateful to the manager, Andre, for being so helpful!! We also stayed in Caeser park for a night, and let me tell you, the pools are the same size, the cost is double, and Caesar park nickles and dimes you for EVERYTHING (including internet!)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Campinas, SP
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Stayed there for 4 nights with a group of friends. Rooms really ok, clean and spacious. Beware, the air conditioning is noisy.
Very good location, many restaurants and bars 2 blocks away from the hotel. The area there is the gay friendly one.
We all had rooms with sea view, ok it's more expensive but really worth it. Once again it's a bit noisy as the windows are not sound proof. Service ok, not more. Ask for rooms in upper levels, but beware:usualy the singles ones are on the lower floors. Breakfast room is super small but the choice is large.
Don't expect much from the swimming pool on the last floor... it is closer to a jacuzy, but, hey, the sea is right there! And don't hesitate to use the beach service included in the price (towels, chairs etc...).
Internet connection is supposely for free but never worked in my room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed at Sol Ipanema for 4 nights, 2 in the beginning and 2 at the end.
We arrived earlier than the check-in time (normally after 12 PM) and the hotel was full. They checked us in without assigning a room yet and kept our luggages while we went out to have a brunch at a place recommended by a receptionist Andre. The place was awesome and we became a regular to the place (Called "Caffeina") for lunch/brunch.

The oceanfront room (high level) we had for the first 2 nights was awesome. It was beyond what we expected. The first day, it was raining in RIO and through the windows we could see the rainy ipanema beach with big waves - it was pretty spectacular just by itself. Everything in the room was superclean, and the frame over the bed was nice paint of ipanema beach. One thing bothered me in this room was that the water never got warm enough for me to enjoy hot bath. The water was just warm enough to have a quick shower.

256k wireless was free, but only one wireless connection was allowed in a room at a time. AC worked great, and maid service was also very good.

Most of the staffs at the reception desk speaks in English and they are the great source to get information on local restaurants.

The breakfast was one of the best among hotel breakfasts we've ever had. Considering my friend travels a lot and stays at business level hotels all the time, the breakfast at Sol Ipanema, can be said one of the best. One morning, we got to the dining room at 5 minutes to 10, and most of the mian entre was gone. We were just picking up fruits and little bits and pieces and the staffs set up our table and brought the main dishes over to the table by plates, and let us take time to have the proper breakfast.

When we came back at the end of the trip, we had a room on a different floor (mid level) and the room was even better than the first one. Bigger room, and the shower had a tub - the first one had a shower booth but not the tub, no problem with hot water either.

The downside of this hotel was that it does not have full gym. It has a few machines but if you're weight training, you should find a gym on the street that costs about R$75 for a daypass. There's a swimming pool on the roof top but way to small to enjoy anything.

Overally, it was very satisfying and we will definately stay at Sol Ipanema when we visit Rio again. Not to mention the location, you are just steps - bare steps - away from the sand of the beach.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Hotel is decent - fairly nice decor in rooms, great views, reasonable breakfast. The location is superb - right on Ipanema beach, good restaurants and bars around the corner, safe neighbourhood. They have free beach chairs and umbrellas which is great - good for a hassle free visit to the beach across the street.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I had a pleasant experience at this hotel, particularly with the staff and the multi-lingual folks at the front desk. The room was clean and comfortable, the bathroom modern, and the hotel location was ideal, given that it is in one of the safest and most charming parts of Rio. The breakfast buffet is superb, with a variety of options (its included in the price). I didn't have the money to splurge for a room with a view of Ipanema Beach, but I was still quite happy with my week-long stay. Some of the other guests informed me that the best rates are those that you book directly with the hotel (via phone, rather than internet). I booked it on Best Western's website and paid 150 dollars per night. (That may seem expensive, but everything in Rio is expensive).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in April and it was perfect for us. The location is awesome, right across the street from fabulous Ipanema beach, right down the block from the Garota de Ipanema bar and lots of other great bars/restaurants.

The view from the rooftop pool area is amazing. The pool itself is tiny, but the bartender is excellent! We tried caiprinhas many other places and his were the absolute best.
We asked for a room on one of the upper floors and we weren't bothered by any street noise.

The staff at the front desk were helpful, some more so than others. This is a great hotel for the money. I highly recommend staying here over one of the hotels in Copacabana, Ipanema is much nicer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple