I was in brazil on business and went to rio for a weekend, staying at the Sol Ipanema. It was wonderful, the photos do not do justice. It reminded me of a 4-star hotel in europe... simple and small but clean and well appointed. Bathrooms have marble, the lobby is well lit and has a bar. The rooftop view is great. The exercise room is small but you can see the corcovaco while you work out... the window even opens.
I stayed in a room facing inland, and frankly I liked it better than an ocean view because it was very quiet, zero road noise. You see some apartments and the mountains, it's fine.
The neighborhood of Ipanema is very nice. You could spend days here without leaving, no taxi required unless you want to visit copacabana or other sight seeing.
Breakfast is ok, the best part is the view of the beach while you eat.
The staff is very polite and accomodating, I had a very good experience compared to other reviewers here. I lost my room key in the ocean and they politely replaced it. I needed a late check out and that was no problem. Getting a taxi was easy. And here is the most amazing thing... I dropped my credit card outside and someone actually turned it in to the hotel, where they called me and returned it. This was in RIO where people say it's dangerous. I thought it was more family - friendly than a beach in miami or los angeles.
On Saturday night I had planned to go to copacabana or some other night club action... but I wandered across the street from the hotel and there was a small music group playing at a beach side hut ... beer and snacks sold on the side walk, directly in front of the sol ipanema. After about two hours this turned into a full party for about 50 people who started dancing to salsa guitar. I never went anywhere else, just stayed at this little party across from the hotel. Very memorable and fun. People were kind and upbeat. Everything is clean, beach is clean, etc.
I'd definately go back to Rio and very likely stay at Sol Ipanema again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located facing the ocean, at the most trendy point of Ipanema Beach, the "Station 9", and only one block from the bar Girl from Ipanema, birthplace of Bossa Nova. Perfect for leisure or business trip for its proximity to downtown and the best tourist sights of Rio de Janeiro. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TravelClick, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sol Ipanema Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Best Western
- Sol Ipanema Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil