“Wow - what a great staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #13 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
ncy
“Wow - what a great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

We were very happy with our stay here! New hotel and very nice accommodations. Great location across the street from the beach (they have staff on the beach to provide towels, umbrellas, etc. – nice touch). Very nice breakfast included with our stay. The best thing about this hotel is the staff – THEY ARE THE MOST HELPFUL AND PLEASANT ANYWHERE!

• Liked — THE STAFF
  • Disliked — the roof pool is "just OK".
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank janncraver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

We stayed at the JW Marriott which is the newest hotel on Copacabana. The hotel lobby is lovely and the rooms are the best we've seen in Rio when it comes to the beds (fluffy white bedding), etc. They are very, very small though. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view room and were surprised at how small the windows were. Our check-in was very difficult. Our room was not available even well after check-in time and the staff kept trying to give my husband and I twin beds when we booked a king bed. The concierge service is good but beware of being pushed into a tour of the local jewelry store chain. In-room access to the internet is available but expensive. Surpisingly, access to the internet in the business center is even more expensive which we found odd. The hotel restaurant staff could use some training and the food was average to bad. Another warning is that this hotel is cruiseship central so if you would like to avoid large crowds of American cruise ship go'ers, avoid this hotel. There are also many surprising costs including the fact that the in-room waters (which at most hotels would be free) were $6 each. This hotel does gauge you at every turn so beware of hidden costs.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The hidden costs
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank nddagwood
Miami, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2006

I just returned from a business trip to Rio and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the JW Marriott. The hotel is relatively new, the rooms are smallish by US standards, but adequate for South America. The hotel service was very good and the room service meals were way above average. I booked the executive level rooms and the breakfast was very adequate in size and selection. All in all this is a very good place to stay. No complaints.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Non smoking rooms smelled of cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank comogi
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2006

I've been to Rio a bunch of times and the last two my company booked me at this hotel. The worse thing about the hotel is it's location. It is in the middle of the Copacabana district. If you are going to Rio, you are better off staying in the Ipanema region which is safer and cleaner (though anywhere in Rio a foreigner has to be on guard as you can be a target). Whatever you do, do not walk at night in this neighborhood.

As for the hotel, it was just OK and I have come to expect much more from JW Marriotts I have stayed in elsewhere. Carpets where dirty and even though it is a relatively new hotel, the furnishings where worn. I had a 'atrium' view which let's no sun light into the room (think dreary). The gym was terrible with few machines and not clean at all. Breakfast was good if pricey and the lobby is nice (if you stay in a hotel for a lobby). Maid service was good, but the concierge seemed like she was doing me a favor everytime I asked for local information.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Ipanema
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank yadayadayada
Evergreen Park, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

THE JW MARRIOTT is a lovely hotel. My husband and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary with another couple at this hotel. The hotel was very clean, except the carpet was filty. The staff was very friendly and helpful. When booking tours book directly with a tour company. I believe the hotel makes a hefty profit when they book for you.. We paid almost double for our tours they booked for us. Also, I foud the front desk to be very dishonest. We booked the spa package in which we got a 30 minute massage, 2 drinks, a healthy start breakfast and we were suppose to get a free upgrade to an oceanview room. The agent at the front desk refused to honor it. She said they don't give the upgrade on five night stays. Last but not least, the breakfast was kinda expensive and very nasty. Evergreen Park IL.

• Liked — across the street from beach
  • Disliked — carpet was filthy
  • Tips/Secrets — No
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MrsRob
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

I'm amazed at the bad reviews here. I recently took a customer team down to Rio and the local team highly recommended this hotel. After reading the bad reviews here, I was nervous about the hotel, but the local team insisted this was one of the best so I went with their recommendation. I am very glad that I did so!

While the Copacabana Palace (one-half mile down the beach) may be larger and slighly more elegant, the CP is very old and costs three times as much. The JW is only a few years old and is very elegant. Both hotels appear to be highly secure. The locals I interacted with thought the JW was the nicest hotel in Rio.

The rooms in the JW were slightly smaller than what you would expect at a JW in the US, but were not so small as to be "European" and offered plenty of space to be fully functional without feeling like you were about to bump into things. The JW offers high speed internet for an extra charge. My room rate included an outstanding breakfast (yours might not, check!!) in an elegant dining room with servers, large buffet spread, etc.

When staying here, go to the large night market that is a half-mile down the beach to the right for deals on soccer jerseys and other tourist items. Go deeper into the city, away from the beach, for grocery stores that offer very affordable Cachaca so you can take two bottles back to the US for making Caiparinhas. Be careful about wandering around at night by yourself (don't do it).

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank brian796
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

I had reservations to stay at this hotel in April 2006 for 5 nights. I was actually using my points. During my check-in (Which took like 45 minutes), they informed me that there would be a $130 USD fee per person, per night. The hotel staff is terrible. They give you no respect and they like to lie. This ranges from the front desk to the general manager.

I took a look at the rooms and they are VERY small and had NO ventilation. After canceling my reservation, I booked at the Meridian right down the street (much better). The bellman at the Marriott ripped us off with the “Hotel taxi” service and gave us attitude when we wanted to pay the driver directly.

This hotel is the WORST Marriott property that I have ever stayed at. (I stay at Marriott all the time). I always book with Marriott because it tends to be a good product. I do NOT recommend this property to anyone. The staff is terrible, rude, and should all be fired or get the Marriott name off the property.

You will make a BIG mistake if you book here!!!

• Stayed April 2006