JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$108
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$609
  • Breakfast included
Transamerica Prime Barra(Rio de Janeiro)
$55
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$104
$76
  • Beachfront
Hotel Mar Palace Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$98
$58
  • Pool
Hotel Regina(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$56
$47
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$115
$98
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Atlantico Rio(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$47
$45
$522
$473
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
2,400 results
All reviewsthe executive loungecopacabana beachgriffin clubrooftop poolocean viewconcierge desklobby barplatinum memberbeach serviceavenida atlanticafitness centerrooms are smalllate checkhotel is in a great locationsugarloaf mountainbeach frontchrist the redeemer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2006

I've been to Rio a bunch of times and the last two my company booked me at this hotel. The worse thing about the hotel is it's location. It is in the middle of the Copacabana district. If you are going to Rio, you are better off staying in the Ipanema region which is safer and cleaner (though anywhere in Rio a foreigner has to be on guard as you can be a target). Whatever you do, do not walk at night in this neighborhood.

As for the hotel, it was just OK and I have come to expect much more from JW Marriotts I have stayed in elsewhere. Carpets where dirty and even though it is a relatively new hotel, the furnishings where worn. I had a 'atrium' view which let's no sun light into the room (think dreary). The gym was terrible with few machines and not clean at all. Breakfast was good if pricey and the lobby is nice (if you stay in a hotel for a lobby). Maid service was good, but the concierge seemed like she was doing me a favor everytime I asked for local information.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank yadayadayada
Reviewed July 25, 2006

THE JW MARRIOTT is a lovely hotel. My husband and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary with another couple at this hotel. The hotel was very clean, except the carpet was filty. The staff was very friendly and helpful. When booking tours book directly with a tour company. I believe the hotel makes a hefty profit when they book for you.. We paid almost double for our tours they booked for us. Also, I foud the front desk to be very dishonest. We booked the spa package in which we got a 30 minute massage, 2 drinks, a healthy start breakfast and we were suppose to get a free upgrade to an oceanview room. The agent at the front desk refused to honor it. She said they don't give the upgrade on five night stays. Last but not least, the breakfast was kinda expensive and very nasty. Evergreen Park IL.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank MrsRob
Reviewed June 9, 2006

I'm amazed at the bad reviews here. I recently took a customer team down to Rio and the local team highly recommended this hotel. After reading the bad reviews here, I was nervous about the hotel, but the local team insisted this was one of the best so I went with their recommendation. I am very glad that I did so!

While the Copacabana Palace (one-half mile down the beach) may be larger and slighly more elegant, the CP is very old and costs three times as much. The JW is only a few years old and is very elegant. Both hotels appear to be highly secure. The locals I interacted with thought the JW was the nicest hotel in Rio.

The rooms in the JW were slightly smaller than what you would expect at a JW in the US, but were not so small as to be "European" and offered plenty of space to be fully functional without feeling like you were about to bump into things. The JW offers high speed internet for an extra charge. My room rate included an outstanding breakfast (yours might not, check!!) in an elegant dining room with servers, large buffet spread, etc.

When staying here, go to the large night market that is a half-mile down the beach to the right for deals on soccer jerseys and other tourist items. Go deeper into the city, away from the beach, for grocery stores that offer very affordable Cachaca so you can take two bottles back to the US for making Caiparinhas. Be careful about wandering around at night by yourself (don't do it).

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank brian796
Reviewed April 30, 2006

I had reservations to stay at this hotel in April 2006 for 5 nights. I was actually using my points. During my check-in (Which took like 45 minutes), they informed me that there would be a $130 USD fee per person, per night. The hotel staff is terrible. They give you no respect and they like to lie. This ranges from the front desk to the general manager.

I took a look at the rooms and they are VERY small and had NO ventilation. After canceling my reservation, I booked at the Meridian right down the street (much better). The bellman at the Marriott ripped us off with the “Hotel taxi” service and gave us attitude when we wanted to pay the driver directly.

This hotel is the WORST Marriott property that I have ever stayed at. (I stay at Marriott all the time). I always book with Marriott because it tends to be a good product. I do NOT recommend this property to anyone. The staff is terrible, rude, and should all be fired or get the Marriott name off the property.

You will make a BIG mistake if you book here!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
17  Thank maclester
Reviewed April 23, 2006

I booked a room at this hotel because the guidebooks say that this is the newest hotel in Copacabana. That may be true, but in fact the hotel feels as if it were rather old, and not very well maintained. The room I stayed in felt very smelly and was not ventilated very well. This is exacerbated by the fact that the ocean-view rooms have sealed windows. (A lot of other hotels in Rio have windows that can be opened and some have balconies.) The room I stayed in had a connecting door to the next room, and the insulation was not good at all, so the noise from the adjacent room can easily be a nuisance. The rooms are very small. The blankets, linen, etc. are old. The paint on the walls is peeling at some places. The room door had some stains on it. The ironing board was broken.

To check in, I had to wait in line for more than 30 minutes. The staff at the front desk act more like bureaucrats, and are not friendly or helpful at all. They give everyone who arrives some form to fill out and then everyone in line waits until the customer in front is done with her form. In the meantime, the girl at the front desk is happily chatting with her colleagues, not paying any attention to the line that is waiting. The same applies to checkout.

However, the staff at the breakfast were excellent, indeed, exemplary.

By the way, in the bathroom they display two small bottles of water at
12 reais ($2 or so) each. In a store, a bottle of water can be purchased for 0.89 reais.

If you need to go to Rio de Janeiro, you may want to consider other hotels.

Stayed: April 2006