“Outstanding customer service & lovely facilities”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #19 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 28, 2009

One of the outstanding features of this hotel is its staff. They provide a very welcoming and friendly environment. The rooms are not spacious but they are lovely in decor and are spotless. The wireless connection was excellent. The location is perfect.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro

Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed here for four nights and found the hotel and staff to be wonderful. Our room was small but extremely well-appointed. The hotel required use of your key in the elevator which was a good security measure. No problem at all with the room key working. We spent two days on the beach and Marriott staff were very attentive. Basically, they will bring you anything you want and check on you constantly. One night we ordered room service for an appetizer and it was speedy and tasty. Internet in the business center was expensive; next time I will bring my laptop and pay the daily room rate. The ATM in the lobby was out of order so we had to locate a bank with an English ATM (Citibank was a few blocks away). Breakfast was included in our room rate and since we tipped the first day, got excellent service after that. Fresh fruit and just about anything else you would want.. The buffet is available until 11 AM. The only issue we had was with our bill on the final day. Apparently, there is a hold put on your credit card when you check in and when they ran my AMEX when we were checking out, it was declined because the original amount was not released. They wanted me to use a different credit card but I called AMEX instead and got the issue resolved. There is also a currency exchange in the lobby which was convenient. We had dinner one night at the Copacabana Palace which was fantastic. We ate at the poolside restaurant and took a cab as the hotel was about 8 blocks from the Marriott. We would definitely stay at the Marriott again!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Summary - I expected higher standards from a Marriott.
Good points:
Location - opposite the beach. Opening the curtains in the morning puts you in a good mood for the day.
Facilities - Are quite costly, but good.
Rooms - small but well appointed. The beds are amongst the most comfortable I've found.

Mediocre -
Service in general. Quite good service by european standards, but arguably not so good for a full service hotel in Latin America.
The bar - extremely annoying cheesy music selection played too loud.
Food - quite reasonable, but very pricey for what it is, especially given the wide selection of quality restaurants locally. It's only worth eating here if you are staying in the hotel and can't be bothered exploring.
Room cards are also used to operate the lifts as a security measure. A good idea if the mechanism works - which it only does some of the time.
Bad -
Sorry, your room is not available (arrived quite late, straight from the airport). The room has been booked in advance. This is annoying beyond belief. After a substantial "Get me the manager" tantrum, a room is miraculously available. Tiny room. (Room as ordered becomes available the next day).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Upon arrival in GIG airport, you go thru customs and immigration. Before you exit into the arrivals hall, you observe taxi booths, all staffed and all waving at you like banshees to get your business. Take my advice and use them if your new to Rio as I was, as they guarantee getting a pre-paid cab to the Hotel and not having to deal with Portugese. However, don't do as I did and believe them when they say they have a good exchange rate for money. I did and was royally taken for a ride. Learning experience accepted.

The Mariott is about 30 minutes with no traffic, 1 hour with traffic to the Copa Cabana. The location is awesome. From the lobby, the beach is across the street, less than 1 minutes walk.

The property is very well maintained, clean and the service very good.

There are two room types; Atrium Views and Exterior. The former allows you to look into each others rooms as I did. All rooms are extremely quiet, with one exception; I stayed in room 1821. Beware room 1821, as it is below the pool on the roof. The gurgling pipes can be heard all day and night. I found it comforting to lisetn to. Others would not. It does disturn the otherwise complete silence of the room. The rooms are very nicely laid out, even the standard ones. The colors are bright white, the carpets green and muted yellow, much like a Tommy Bahama shirt I have. It was a relaxing room. The beds are comfy.

Watch out for the showers! They start out at the correct temperature and fluxuate from frigid to scalding when you don't want it to. Otherwise, the bathroom is just fine.

The breakfast was served on the 1st floor (Lobby is the ground floor). The restaurant has a view of the CopaCabana beach. When I arrived after my red eye on Sunday, I saw they had closed off half the street for exercise. So many people jogging, walking, running, biking, I broke out my running clothes and went out. It was awesome motivation and the location on the beach was superb.

The workout room of the hotel is on the roof along with the gurgling pool. It's windows ar eglass, so you can jog or use the machines while watching the Oceano Atlantico..very cool.

One thng to note; While I was there, they were undertaking carpet replacement, which was good to see. Unfortunately, the quirky AC ducts delivered a nice dose of the glue smell to my room each day. There was nothing to be done. I tolerated it as much as possible and it dissipated as they ceased working each evening. The fornt desk offerred to move my room, which I dd not take up because of the time factor.

Recommendation; Stay at this property as it is luxurious, great location, great staff, and worthy of the price paid. I am about to write another review of the Guanabara Palace I stayed at next which explains where you don't want to stay in Rio :-(

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank VisitedNewPlaces
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Had to stay on a group tour. This hotel provided a very good, if not excellent breakfast. The rooms were however a bit on the small side. The location of the hotel was good and luckily my room was on the front side, so that I could pick up free internet from the hotspot on the beach. Otherwise the hotel would have charged for the WiFi.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank PopeyeCalifornia
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed here several nights and I was really pleased. For money I paid, it's excellent value. Right on the beach, very attentive staff (breakfast, lounge, overall everyone seemed to go way out of ordinary to help you enjoy Brasil - it was our first time there). Only complaint I would have is about rooms facing inside - the feeling there is really strange, we stayed there 1st night since we wanted to check-in very early after our flight arrival at 7am (our room was ready at 9am) so we settled with that for the first day. Comparing to my last experience with Marriott at Waikiki Beach (about the same room rate), it seems as out of this universe - I just felt very wellcomed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Honzeek
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The beachfront location is very nice, with lots of beach huts that invite you to have a caipirinha (prices starting a low as 3 reais) or a little snack. We had an inside room towards the atrium, which was the same feeling as an inside cabin on a cruise ship. You are tempted to sleep in in the morning, as no daylight is visible. On the last day, we wanted to go out for breakfast, equipped with sunglasses as always. At the door we turned around to exchange the sungalles against an umbrella, as it was raining, which we did not notice from our room.

Services at the hotel are badly overpriced. A little bottle of water is 16 reais. Breakfast buffet 52 reais. We went out for breakfast instead, and were served a nice breakfast right on the Copacabana for 15 reais.

If you can afford the ocean view rooms, then the hotel is a very nice choice. For the inside rooms, well, you have a very comfortable bed, but you don't realize you are in Rio....

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple