“Ocean View Suite Executive Level”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #20 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“Ocean View Suite Executive Level”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Glad we upgraded to the ocean view suite on the executive level for our four night stay. It was large and comfortable plus the huge bathroom with seperate tub & shower & 2 sinks made it even better. Our room was right next to the the entrance to the executive club which made it very convenient. Can you believe all the drinks here are FREE!! Grab a beer, soda,bottled water anytime (they are only closed 12mid to 6am). The waiter will make any drink for you including the local Caipirinha. The food served during the day will save you money instead of eatting out - all free. There are also 2 computers here to use anytime - once again free.
My husband was concerned about safety in Rio, but like any big city, just use common sense. I recommend 3 nights to see it all.
We will definitely return to the JW in Rio - great staff & wonderful location.

2 Thank PhyllisToledo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cerritos, CA
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stayed there for 4 days on a Marriott award stay in March. As I was not paying for it, I only got an ordinary room which was small but elegant and looked out at the covered but sunny atrium. They offered me an upgrade for money, but I declined. Great location right on Copacabana. Staff very service-oriented. Great pool area on roof. Nice, but expensive restaurants (nice outdoor/indoor restaurant next to hotel on corner property--good food at very reasonable prices). Hotel built in 2002, so everything is still modern and clean.

1 Thank srk123
Colorado
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We spent four nights here and the locaton is great, the staff was very helpful and proud to help. The rooms are the smallest we have ever experienced from Marriott but given the density and cost or RE, you'll see why. NO tourist shopping in the area and restaurant choice are slim at best. For a beverage, go to the beach area and get soda/beer, etc for 75% less than what they charge.
Sad to say, Rio is long past its prime as a tourist destination. Our trip goal was to get to the Iguazu Falls area otherwise we cannot recommend RIO. You can "do" the area in two days.
For decent tourist stuff, hit the Sunday market in Ipanema. We bought some well carved stone birds for about 25% of what the shops and airport gets for them.
The people of RIO were all very polite and willing to help.
Go the the street to book a cab...for some reason, Marriott gets a premium if one pulls up to the door...mystery to me.

2 Thank ColoradoChilidog
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 19, 2009

First, I had a very nice stay and the locations on Copacabana simply cannot be beat. There are some issues with this hotel that seem inconsistent with a luxury hotel or even top end, but I suppose that is part of travelling. The flip side of that argument is that the reason one stays in big chain hotels while traveling is to proved a consistent product.

The hotel is right in the center of Copacabana. If you are staying on this particular beach in Rio, the hotel location is hard to beat. All hotels are across the street from the beach and from the Marriott you have to go left or right about 50 meters upon exiting the hotel if you want to use the crosswalk, but you are as close as you are going to get. The hotel is distinctive with its glass decoration on the front and easy to find.

Check is was a little unusual but the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. You really cannot check in early at this location. We were the week before Carnival, so perhaps when fewer people are there you can simply walk in, but we could not. In fact our rooms were not even ready by the time promised. This was not a big deal for us as they stored our luggage and gave us temporary keys to the rooftop pool/bar/restaurant where we managed to kill a few hours drinking our first Bohemian's.

Yes rooms are small. However, they are adequate. During our stay, our televisions (old CRT models) were mysteriously replaced with large LCD's. Nice! Several channels in lots of languages and several English channels. The TV's were defaulted to CNN vice some sort of hotel channel which I though was good. Bathrooms are very small, but clean and nice. Great showers with very hot water and lots of pressure. If you have read the comments on this site then you know about the weird atrium facing balconies. I don't get it either, however, you can tell while walking down the beach why they do not want the ocean facing windows opened. The Marriott is one of the only hotels with a clean unbroken appearance from the beach without curtains fluttering out of every other window. It really looks good.

The hotel amenities are expensive. Bottled water in your bathroom is about $7 US a bottle (maybe 750 ml). Just buy water around the corner at a drug store or grocery store for less than a buck a liter. The hotel restaurant is VERY expensive. In fact the most expensive meal I had in Brazil. Breakfast comes with the room and was very nice but the lunch I had in the hotel was average at best and about $44 US. It was a buffet which was plentiful, but for the money I thought it could have been nicer. Beer at the hotel bar was about twice what you could find it anywhere else and of course caipirinhas are excellent but at least three times the price of caipirinhas anywhere else.

Odds and ends.:
-Maid service seemed late the one day I returned to my room early. It was always excellent and never effected my use of the room but I did enter the room once at 1400 and it was in the same condition I had left it.
-Internet service is about $5 US a day. They had a few packages and everybody in my party seemed to be charged differently, but when you get the HSIA you also get a roaming password which allows you to connect throughout the hotel via wireless. As a Marriott rewards member I'd like free access, but this hotel seemed to charge for everything.
-Key were coded to the floor and you had to use them to get the elevator to move. Great for security but this made it very hard to meet your friends on different floors.
-I thought that the front desk staff was very accommodating. They tried to get us in our rooms and allowed us access to the hotels amenities when they could not. They would not allow a let checkout, but once again stored our luggage and gave us keys to the pool etc.
-Hotel ATM was broken for our entire 5 day stay.
-Hotel Taxi's appear to be a rip off. Use the hotel stand in front of the hotel, but do not ask the concierge to arrange a taxi for you.
-Hotel appeared very safe with an alert lobby crew.
-Some have commented that the hotel appeared dark? I think that was more the décor they were looking for. It appeared illuminated enough to me.
-Great bar service available simply by sitting in the hotel lobby. There was an excellent lobby bartender who made regular rounds and was exceedingly polite.
-I did not order room service, but it is available 24/7 which is unusual as many of you probably know. One member of our party ordered it and said that it was timely and of exceptional quality.
-Room safes will fit your laptop(s) and are located in your closet.
-Conference rooms of different sizes are available and can be catered at different levels.
-Pool is very small, however, very nice. You can get a beer or drinks poolside and there is a limited menu available as well. We spent many hours on the rooftop. Pool is open until about 2200 if I remember correctly.
-Gym is open 24/7 and is small but has items for a quick sweat. Primarily machines. I never understand gyms without pullup bars and a roman chair and alas this gym did not have one but they had some dumb bells, a stationary bike and several tread mills. There were a few other machines that took up a lot of space. TV is available in the treadmills and such.
-Hotel will put up an umbrella and towel for you on the beach if you wish. They recommend that you leave nothing unattended on the beach and went as far as to have us leave our items in the lobby and have us cross the lobby in our swimsuits rather than leave items on the beach.
-Based on the funny atrium geometry, when your blinds are open, everybody on your floor across from your room can see into your room.
-ATM's seem to stop giving out money after 2200. Plan accordingly. As mentioned the hotel ATM never worked during our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Paolo01
toronto, ontario
Reviewed December 12, 2008

This is an excellent hotel with rooms that match their website photos. The room size was not huge but certainly adequate. We had an ocean view, which was nice. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, although the concierge staff do like to push their expensive tours and private cars, but we saw everything on our own. Other than that, we were impressed with all of the staff. We had mentioned something in a casual manner to one of the staff on check-in and much to our surprise, the hotel did something for us that was unexpected and beyond the norm. The one complaint that I have, which I have with many of the hotels is their charging for internet and computer use. Today this is such an essential that it should be provided free of charge just like satelite tv. There are several internet places nearby and the one we used was just around the corner. The hotel is spotless as was the room. The location on Copacabana is perfect with the beach right across the street and the hotel providing free chairs, umbrellas and towels. I personally would not stay on Ipanema because there is much less activity there especially in the evening. It is more residential and therefore far fewer people walking along the beach sidewalk unlike in Copa where this is always something going on and you actually feel safe. If you want to go there, it is very close, about a 20 minute walk, short taxi ride or public bus stops outside the hotel and costs about a dollar.
We would most definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ab0000
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights at the JW Marriott on Copacabana Beach. This was a good location while still maintaining the Marriott brand's level of service. I would say the service at this hotel was outstanding. I booked using Rewards points and was given a room with a view of the indoor courtyard (and view of everyone else's room if you don't keep both sets of blinds shut!) and since I am a platinum member, I may have received some benefits described below not offered to everyone

The executive lounge was being renovated while we were there, but I believe the expected completion is mid-December where it will return to the 9th floor. From what I could see from the street, it looked like the view from the lounge would have been pretty nice. The executive lounge was great due to the free drinks and the servers going out of their way to make sure you're happy. The servers there made some great cairprihinas (yum).

The concierge recommended the Brazilian steakhouse Marius (see my restaurant review and read the others as well) which we were not completely happy with. The next night we went to Porcao Rio which was AMAZING. I would go back there in a minute.

The hotel staff were truly attentive and cared about any concerns we had (including the not so great experience at Marius) The sushi restaurant in the hotel was ok. It was trying to be trendy with its 7 X 7 sashimi platter (7 types of sashimi with 7 types of dipping sauces). I didn't try the all you can eat, but other reviewers said it was good. I have a name of a great tour guide at very reasonable rates that we used for a Favela tour (highly recommeded) and also used Just Fly (Paulo Cellani) for hang-gliding and was happy with his services as well.

I would definitely stay here again if I had the opportunity.

• Liked — Staff were very friendly and helpful
  • Disliked — Paying for Internet, but if staying for an extended period, they have discounts!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank cliffwy
ONfornow
Reviewed November 25, 2008

This hotel did not live up to expectations at all. The hotel messed up the booking for our stay and did not seem all that concerned to sort it out. While the service was the prime reason for a low rating, the place itself was alright (but definetely not a 5 star property). The rooms were nicely decorated, but were quite small (some areas did not have enough room for two people to pass). The prices for extras such as bottled water were extremely high (equivalent of US$8 for 250ml!). The breakfast was nice and included a very good selection of fruit, cheeses and other ready to order items. The location was very good and the pool was great. For the price, there are better hotels in as good of location with staff that likely care about your business.

• Liked — breakfast, location and pool
  • Disliked — staff, service, cost of extras such as water, internet, business center
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business