“Great location and service; SMALL rooms!”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #19 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado
“Great location and service; SMALL rooms!”
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We spent four nights here and the locaton is great, the staff was very helpful and proud to help. The rooms are the smallest we have ever experienced from Marriott but given the density and cost or RE, you'll see why. NO tourist shopping in the area and restaurant choice are slim at best. For a beverage, go to the beach area and get soda/beer, etc for 75% less than what they charge.
Sad to say, Rio is long past its prime as a tourist destination. Our trip goal was to get to the Iguazu Falls area otherwise we cannot recommend RIO. You can "do" the area in two days.
For decent tourist stuff, hit the Sunday market in Ipanema. We bought some well carved stone birds for about 25% of what the shops and airport gets for them.
The people of RIO were all very polite and willing to help.
Go the the street to book a cab...for some reason, Marriott gets a premium if one pulls up to the door...mystery to me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColoradoChilidog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 19, 2009

First, I had a very nice stay and the locations on Copacabana simply cannot be beat. There are some issues with this hotel that seem inconsistent with a luxury hotel or even top end, but I suppose that is part of travelling. The flip side of that argument is that the reason one stays in big chain hotels while traveling is to proved a consistent product.

The hotel is right in the center of Copacabana. If you are staying on this particular beach in Rio, the hotel location is hard to beat. All hotels are across the street from the beach and from the Marriott you have to go left or right about 50 meters upon exiting the hotel if you want to use the crosswalk, but you are as close as you are going to get. The hotel is distinctive with its glass decoration on the front and easy to find.

Check is was a little unusual but the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. You really cannot check in early at this location. We were the week before Carnival, so perhaps when fewer people are there you can simply walk in, but we could not. In fact our rooms were not even ready by the time promised. This was not a big deal for us as they stored our luggage and gave us temporary keys to the rooftop pool/bar/restaurant where we managed to kill a few hours drinking our first Bohemian's.

Yes rooms are small. However, they are adequate. During our stay, our televisions (old CRT models) were mysteriously replaced with large LCD's. Nice! Several channels in lots of languages and several English channels. The TV's were defaulted to CNN vice some sort of hotel channel which I though was good. Bathrooms are very small, but clean and nice. Great showers with very hot water and lots of pressure. If you have read the comments on this site then you know about the weird atrium facing balconies. I don't get it either, however, you can tell while walking down the beach why they do not want the ocean facing windows opened. The Marriott is one of the only hotels with a clean unbroken appearance from the beach without curtains fluttering out of every other window. It really looks good.

The hotel amenities are expensive. Bottled water in your bathroom is about $7 US a bottle (maybe 750 ml). Just buy water around the corner at a drug store or grocery store for less than a buck a liter. The hotel restaurant is VERY expensive. In fact the most expensive meal I had in Brazil. Breakfast comes with the room and was very nice but the lunch I had in the hotel was average at best and about $44 US. It was a buffet which was plentiful, but for the money I thought it could have been nicer. Beer at the hotel bar was about twice what you could find it anywhere else and of course caipirinhas are excellent but at least three times the price of caipirinhas anywhere else.

Odds and ends.:
-Maid service seemed late the one day I returned to my room early. It was always excellent and never effected my use of the room but I did enter the room once at 1400 and it was in the same condition I had left it.
-Internet service is about $5 US a day. They had a few packages and everybody in my party seemed to be charged differently, but when you get the HSIA you also get a roaming password which allows you to connect throughout the hotel via wireless. As a Marriott rewards member I'd like free access, but this hotel seemed to charge for everything.
-Key were coded to the floor and you had to use them to get the elevator to move. Great for security but this made it very hard to meet your friends on different floors.
-I thought that the front desk staff was very accommodating. They tried to get us in our rooms and allowed us access to the hotels amenities when they could not. They would not allow a let checkout, but once again stored our luggage and gave us keys to the pool etc.
-Hotel ATM was broken for our entire 5 day stay.
-Hotel Taxi's appear to be a rip off. Use the hotel stand in front of the hotel, but do not ask the concierge to arrange a taxi for you.
-Hotel appeared very safe with an alert lobby crew.
-Some have commented that the hotel appeared dark? I think that was more the décor they were looking for. It appeared illuminated enough to me.
-Great bar service available simply by sitting in the hotel lobby. There was an excellent lobby bartender who made regular rounds and was exceedingly polite.
-I did not order room service, but it is available 24/7 which is unusual as many of you probably know. One member of our party ordered it and said that it was timely and of exceptional quality.
-Room safes will fit your laptop(s) and are located in your closet.
-Conference rooms of different sizes are available and can be catered at different levels.
-Pool is very small, however, very nice. You can get a beer or drinks poolside and there is a limited menu available as well. We spent many hours on the rooftop. Pool is open until about 2200 if I remember correctly.
-Gym is open 24/7 and is small but has items for a quick sweat. Primarily machines. I never understand gyms without pullup bars and a roman chair and alas this gym did not have one but they had some dumb bells, a stationary bike and several tread mills. There were a few other machines that took up a lot of space. TV is available in the treadmills and such.
-Hotel will put up an umbrella and towel for you on the beach if you wish. They recommend that you leave nothing unattended on the beach and went as far as to have us leave our items in the lobby and have us cross the lobby in our swimsuits rather than leave items on the beach.
-Based on the funny atrium geometry, when your blinds are open, everybody on your floor across from your room can see into your room.
-ATM's seem to stop giving out money after 2200. Plan accordingly. As mentioned the hotel ATM never worked during our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Paolo01
toronto, ontario
Reviewed December 12, 2008

This is an excellent hotel with rooms that match their website photos. The room size was not huge but certainly adequate. We had an ocean view, which was nice. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, although the concierge staff do like to push their expensive tours and private cars, but we saw everything on our own. Other than that, we were impressed with all of the staff. We had mentioned something in a casual manner to one of the staff on check-in and much to our surprise, the hotel did something for us that was unexpected and beyond the norm. The one complaint that I have, which I have with many of the hotels is their charging for internet and computer use. Today this is such an essential that it should be provided free of charge just like satelite tv. There are several internet places nearby and the one we used was just around the corner. The hotel is spotless as was the room. The location on Copacabana is perfect with the beach right across the street and the hotel providing free chairs, umbrellas and towels. I personally would not stay on Ipanema because there is much less activity there especially in the evening. It is more residential and therefore far fewer people walking along the beach sidewalk unlike in Copa where this is always something going on and you actually feel safe. If you want to go there, it is very close, about a 20 minute walk, short taxi ride or public bus stops outside the hotel and costs about a dollar.
We would most definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ab0000
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights at the JW Marriott on Copacabana Beach. This was a good location while still maintaining the Marriott brand's level of service. I would say the service at this hotel was outstanding. I booked using Rewards points and was given a room with a view of the indoor courtyard (and view of everyone else's room if you don't keep both sets of blinds shut!) and since I am a platinum member, I may have received some benefits described below not offered to everyone

The executive lounge was being renovated while we were there, but I believe the expected completion is mid-December where it will return to the 9th floor. From what I could see from the street, it looked like the view from the lounge would have been pretty nice. The executive lounge was great due to the free drinks and the servers going out of their way to make sure you're happy. The servers there made some great cairprihinas (yum).

The concierge recommended the Brazilian steakhouse Marius (see my restaurant review and read the others as well) which we were not completely happy with. The next night we went to Porcao Rio which was AMAZING. I would go back there in a minute.

The hotel staff were truly attentive and cared about any concerns we had (including the not so great experience at Marius) The sushi restaurant in the hotel was ok. It was trying to be trendy with its 7 X 7 sashimi platter (7 types of sashimi with 7 types of dipping sauces). I didn't try the all you can eat, but other reviewers said it was good. I have a name of a great tour guide at very reasonable rates that we used for a Favela tour (highly recommeded) and also used Just Fly (Paulo Cellani) for hang-gliding and was happy with his services as well.

I would definitely stay here again if I had the opportunity.

• Liked — Staff were very friendly and helpful
  • Disliked — Paying for Internet, but if staying for an extended period, they have discounts!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank cliffwy
ONfornow
Reviewed November 25, 2008

This hotel did not live up to expectations at all. The hotel messed up the booking for our stay and did not seem all that concerned to sort it out. While the service was the prime reason for a low rating, the place itself was alright (but definetely not a 5 star property). The rooms were nicely decorated, but were quite small (some areas did not have enough room for two people to pass). The prices for extras such as bottled water were extremely high (equivalent of US$8 for 250ml!). The breakfast was nice and included a very good selection of fruit, cheeses and other ready to order items. The location was very good and the pool was great. For the price, there are better hotels in as good of location with staff that likely care about your business.

• Liked — breakfast, location and pool
  • Disliked — staff, service, cost of extras such as water, internet, business center
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Me_She_Be
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed November 10, 2008

If I am staying at a chain hotel, then I am a Marriott man. In fact, three generations of my family have been loyal to Marriott. However, we chose to travel to Rio and stay at the JW because we had accumulated enough Marriott Rewards points to pay for the stay. At least that is what I thought. Yet, four days later when we checked out I had to pay a bill that was close to 100 American dollars...more than half of which was the result of sodas, internet, and calling card calls from the room phone.

Overall, this hotel is excellent! I would definately stay there again. The service is top notch. The concierges (though clearly used to dealing with staid foreigners who do not venture far from the lobby, beach, or bus) will give you the real scoop if pressed (If your a little more adventuresome, I can tell you the best concierge). Oh, the maps that they use are horrible. Ask for something better and use it over and over.

We did not experience any of the issues that others have had regarding tours being booked just because of compensation; however, the staff now has a menu of tours and companies that it appears they try not to deviate from. Fortunately, I was able to figure out that several of these companies were the same companies that had been recommended and we intended to use (such as Rio Hiking...which took us on a guided hike / climb up Sugarloaf that was incredible).

In fact, I wanted to compensate the wonderful staff far more than I did. If for some reason I didn't it was because on more than a few occasions I felt as though the Hotel was fleecing us for every American dollar they could squeeze out of me. The staff knows it! On more than a few occassions employees tried to waive a rediculous fee or assist with a phone call (to be helpful) but also so that they could get the compensation that they had actually earned.

I don't mind paying for food by the pool or the mini bar. However, when there are no soda machines in the hotel, and I am forced to purchase a $3.50 can of coke out of my mini-bar it irritates me. My only other complaint involves internet service. This is not an uncommon complaint with Marriott, but the Rio JW takes the cake when it comes to charging rediculous amounts of money to use standard internet, or even print pages in the bussiness center.

My wife and I use our I Phone for everything. We had asked numerous times whether WiFi was available (as it was free at the Marriott in Buenos Airies). Between us, we were told at least seven times (including at check-in) that we must either pay to hook up in the room or use the bussiness center in the basement. Turns out Rio recently installed free WiFi along Cocacabana Beach and all we had to do was sit outside the door, or anywhere along the Avenue. Unfortunately, this was not communicated to us until our last evening; and after we had asked the night person on the desk to open up the bussiness center for us.

The location is great (beachfront with subway 3 blocks away). The rooftop view, with pool and fitness center is awesome! And the Hotel (and most areas near the Hotel) appeared to be very safe during the day, and generally safe at night. We used the subway throughout the day and cabs at night. Finally, the staff at the door (in charge of taxis, drivers, etc) were terrific!

• Liked — location, views and the rooftop pool and healthclub
  • Disliked — Hotel charges for everything they can including items that are typically free; gift shop
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BrianSoFlo
san francisco
Reviewed October 24, 2008

There are numerous negative reviews here, but I didn't really find them to be on-target. I dressed very casually (not wanting to be a robbery target and all) while I was staying at the Marriott and I was treated with the utmost respect. I never felt pushed by the doormen to take a higher-rate taxi or any such thing.

At any rate, first, the room: it faced the inner courtyard and while it lacked natural light, it was relatively spacious. The bathroom in particular was very nice and not at all cramped. I think my major complaint about the room - and this is so minor - is that the TV was old enough that it didn't have the SAP feature (which gives you english-language audio on many channels) so almost everything was in Portuguese. Like I said, very minor.

The rest of the hotel's amenities (at least those that I used) were great, particularly the rooftop pool and exercise room, which were both free. The hotel also has a strip of beach with free beach chairs and umbrellas and a lifeguard. I also ate at the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant in the hotel, which cost $50 Reals (~$25) and included a free drink. All-you-can-drink beer is another $R10. Hard to complain. They even have a car to the airport for a non-exorbitant price of $R70 - not much more than taxis.

I wouldn't recommend using the hotel's internet though - I think it's $R10 for 10 minutes, which is 15x the price at nearby internet kiosks...

Stayed October 2008