JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
$217
$194
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$109
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$565
$545
$40
$38
  • Pool
Orla Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$87
$73
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Barra(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$113
$106
  • Breakfast included
Copacabana Rio Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Breakfast included
Atlantis Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$93
$47
  • Breakfast included
Brisa Barra Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$92
$89
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
$213
$124
2,399 results
All reviewsthe executive loungecopacabana beachgriffin clubrooftop poolocean viewconcierge desklobby barplatinum memberbeach serviceavenida atlanticafitness centerrooms are smalllate checkhotel is in a great locationsugarloaf mountainbeach frontchrist the redeemer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 12, 2008

This is an excellent hotel with rooms that match their website photos. The room size was not huge but certainly adequate. We had an ocean view, which was nice. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, although the concierge staff do like to push their expensive tours and private cars, but we saw everything on our own. Other than that, we were impressed with all of the staff. We had mentioned something in a casual manner to one of the staff on check-in and much to our surprise, the hotel did something for us that was unexpected and beyond the norm. The one complaint that I have, which I have with many of the hotels is their charging for internet and computer use. Today this is such an essential that it should be provided free of charge just like satelite tv. There are several internet places nearby and the one we used was just around the corner. The hotel is spotless as was the room. The location on Copacabana is perfect with the beach right across the street and the hotel providing free chairs, umbrellas and towels. I personally would not stay on Ipanema because there is much less activity there especially in the evening. It is more residential and therefore far fewer people walking along the beach sidewalk unlike in Copa where this is always something going on and you actually feel safe. If you want to go there, it is very close, about a 20 minute walk, short taxi ride or public bus stops outside the hotel and costs about a dollar.
We would most definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ab0000
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights at the JW Marriott on Copacabana Beach. This was a good location while still maintaining the Marriott brand's level of service. I would say the service at this hotel was outstanding. I booked using Rewards points and was given a room with a view of the indoor courtyard (and view of everyone else's room if you don't keep both sets of blinds shut!) and since I am a platinum member, I may have received some benefits described below not offered to everyone

The executive lounge was being renovated while we were there, but I believe the expected completion is mid-December where it will return to the 9th floor. From what I could see from the street, it looked like the view from the lounge would have been pretty nice. The executive lounge was great due to the free drinks and the servers going out of their way to make sure you're happy. The servers there made some great cairprihinas (yum).

The concierge recommended the Brazilian steakhouse Marius (see my restaurant review and read the others as well) which we were not completely happy with. The next night we went to Porcao Rio which was AMAZING. I would go back there in a minute.

The hotel staff were truly attentive and cared about any concerns we had (including the not so great experience at Marius) The sushi restaurant in the hotel was ok. It was trying to be trendy with its 7 X 7 sashimi platter (7 types of sashimi with 7 types of dipping sauces). I didn't try the all you can eat, but other reviewers said it was good. I have a name of a great tour guide at very reasonable rates that we used for a Favela tour (highly recommeded) and also used Just Fly (Paulo Cellani) for hang-gliding and was happy with his services as well.

I would definitely stay here again if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank cliffwy
Reviewed November 25, 2008

This hotel did not live up to expectations at all. The hotel messed up the booking for our stay and did not seem all that concerned to sort it out. While the service was the prime reason for a low rating, the place itself was alright (but definetely not a 5 star property). The rooms were nicely decorated, but were quite small (some areas did not have enough room for two people to pass). The prices for extras such as bottled water were extremely high (equivalent of US$8 for 250ml!). The breakfast was nice and included a very good selection of fruit, cheeses and other ready to order items. The location was very good and the pool was great. For the price, there are better hotels in as good of location with staff that likely care about your business.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Me_She_Be
Reviewed November 10, 2008

If I am staying at a chain hotel, then I am a Marriott man. In fact, three generations of my family have been loyal to Marriott. However, we chose to travel to Rio and stay at the JW because we had accumulated enough Marriott Rewards points to pay for the stay. At least that is what I thought. Yet, four days later when we checked out I had to pay a bill that was close to 100 American dollars...more than half of which was the result of sodas, internet, and calling card calls from the room phone.

Overall, this hotel is excellent! I would definately stay there again. The service is top notch. The concierges (though clearly used to dealing with staid foreigners who do not venture far from the lobby, beach, or bus) will give you the real scoop if pressed (If your a little more adventuresome, I can tell you the best concierge). Oh, the maps that they use are horrible. Ask for something better and use it over and over.

We did not experience any of the issues that others have had regarding tours being booked just because of compensation; however, the staff now has a menu of tours and companies that it appears they try not to deviate from. Fortunately, I was able to figure out that several of these companies were the same companies that had been recommended and we intended to use (such as Rio Hiking...which took us on a guided hike / climb up Sugarloaf that was incredible).

In fact, I wanted to compensate the wonderful staff far more than I did. If for some reason I didn't it was because on more than a few occasions I felt as though the Hotel was fleecing us for every American dollar they could squeeze out of me. The staff knows it! On more than a few occassions employees tried to waive a rediculous fee or assist with a phone call (to be helpful) but also so that they could get the compensation that they had actually earned.

I don't mind paying for food by the pool or the mini bar. However, when there are no soda machines in the hotel, and I am forced to purchase a $3.50 can of coke out of my mini-bar it irritates me. My only other complaint involves internet service. This is not an uncommon complaint with Marriott, but the Rio JW takes the cake when it comes to charging rediculous amounts of money to use standard internet, or even print pages in the bussiness center.

My wife and I use our I Phone for everything. We had asked numerous times whether WiFi was available (as it was free at the Marriott in Buenos Airies). Between us, we were told at least seven times (including at check-in) that we must either pay to hook up in the room or use the bussiness center in the basement. Turns out Rio recently installed free WiFi along Cocacabana Beach and all we had to do was sit outside the door, or anywhere along the Avenue. Unfortunately, this was not communicated to us until our last evening; and after we had asked the night person on the desk to open up the bussiness center for us.

The location is great (beachfront with subway 3 blocks away). The rooftop view, with pool and fitness center is awesome! And the Hotel (and most areas near the Hotel) appeared to be very safe during the day, and generally safe at night. We used the subway throughout the day and cabs at night. Finally, the staff at the door (in charge of taxis, drivers, etc) were terrific!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BrianSoFlo
Reviewed October 24, 2008

There are numerous negative reviews here, but I didn't really find them to be on-target. I dressed very casually (not wanting to be a robbery target and all) while I was staying at the Marriott and I was treated with the utmost respect. I never felt pushed by the doormen to take a higher-rate taxi or any such thing.

At any rate, first, the room: it faced the inner courtyard and while it lacked natural light, it was relatively spacious. The bathroom in particular was very nice and not at all cramped. I think my major complaint about the room - and this is so minor - is that the TV was old enough that it didn't have the SAP feature (which gives you english-language audio on many channels) so almost everything was in Portuguese. Like I said, very minor.

The rest of the hotel's amenities (at least those that I used) were great, particularly the rooftop pool and exercise room, which were both free. The hotel also has a strip of beach with free beach chairs and umbrellas and a lifeguard. I also ate at the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant in the hotel, which cost $50 Reals (~$25) and included a free drink. All-you-can-drink beer is another $R10. Hard to complain. They even have a car to the airport for a non-exorbitant price of $R70 - not much more than taxis.

I wouldn't recommend using the hotel's internet though - I think it's $R10 for 10 minutes, which is 15x the price at nearby internet kiosks...

Stayed: October 2008