My wife an I had the opportunity to spend a week here. Rio de Janeiro has been on my wife's bucket list for many years. Early in 2013, the stars aligned and we were able to arrange air to fly First/Business on FF miles and this hotel on Marriott Reward points. Prior to arriving, we received an email welcoming us to the city and the JW and letting us know that if there was anything they could do for us, to ask. I responded letting them know we were celebrating my wife's birthday and that if they could arrange an upgrade to an ocean view room, it would be appreciated (all MR bookings are in rooms with inside courtyard views). The next day, my reservation reflected the upgrade. Upon arrival at the front desk to check in, we were told that because of my MR status, they would bring us to the 9th floor to check in. This was also the location of their executive lounge. We were given a room on the third floor. Everyone we encountered wished my wife a Happy Birthday.
While resting from our long flights, room service came knocking with a bottle of Brazilian Sparkling Wine and a chocolate fudge heart covered in chocolate sauce as well as a card wishing the Mrs. a Happy Birthday. Our room was very clean and very comfortable and we didn't think it was too small as others have indicated. It was a standard room and not a suite after all.
If you walk to the corner and the stoplight to cross the main road, you can head to the beach where a JW Marriott employee is waiting with chairs, umbrellas and towels. As we sat there one day, he would head to the water and fill up a garden watering can and sprinkle everyone's feet as they lay in the sun. It was a nice touch.
The location, in the middle of Copacabana Beach was wonderful. We felt very comfortable walking Avenida Atlantica at all hours. We also walked the streets behind the hotel to find many small shops and cafes. We spent one morning on a walk to and through Ipanema. It was an easy sight filled walk from the hotel (Yes, we did see the girl). We has no problems taking taxis, city buses and the subway.
As we had access to the lounge, we had no need to go out for breakfast or even use the hotel restaurant. We did have a lunch in the lobby one day when we were in the need for some "American" food. We had Marriott Burgers which were delicious. The lounge provided us with enough breakfast. They had a chef cooking made to order eggs as well as providing bacon, sausage and potatoes. There were many different pastries, toasts and muffins as well as cut up fresh fruit. In the evening from 6 to 9, the lounge offered small bites (hot) as well as sandwiches, cheeses, spreads, breads, etc. If so desired, one could have a light dinner right there. They also offered complimentary beer, wine and caipirinhas, which were killer.
On Sunday night, we were sitting at the lobby bar, trying some other fruit caipirinhas when we saw Bill and Chelsea Clinton come in. They were staying there for a conference further down the road. We felt very safe the first few days with all the police presence out front and the Secret Service in the hotel.
We had a wonderful trip with all the excursions we did and would go back in a heartbeat. The only negative comment I can make is the pillows on the bed. They were way too soft and when laying down, it was like having no pillow at all. That alone would not keep us from going back to this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The extraordinary JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro hotel offers seamless commuting to the city's best attractions, including Sugarloaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer and a variety of nightlife, restaurants and golf courses. The world-famous Copacabana beach is just steps away from our doors, and Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport is less than 10 miles away. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate our proximity to exciting activities like rock climbing, surfing and sailing. Guest rooms at our JW Marriott feature elegant decor, plush bedding, marble bathrooms and LCD TVs with international cable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Marriott
- JW Marriott Hotel Rio De Janeiro Brazil