“Wonderful Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
CT
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife an I had the opportunity to spend a week here. Rio de Janeiro has been on my wife's bucket list for many years. Early in 2013, the stars aligned and we were able to arrange air to fly First/Business on FF miles and this hotel on Marriott Reward points. Prior to arriving, we received an email welcoming us to the city and the JW and letting us know that if there was anything they could do for us, to ask. I responded letting them know we were celebrating my wife's birthday and that if they could arrange an upgrade to an ocean view room, it would be appreciated (all MR bookings are in rooms with inside courtyard views). The next day, my reservation reflected the upgrade. Upon arrival at the front desk to check in, we were told that because of my MR status, they would bring us to the 9th floor to check in. This was also the location of their executive lounge. We were given a room on the third floor. Everyone we encountered wished my wife a Happy Birthday.

While resting from our long flights, room service came knocking with a bottle of Brazilian Sparkling Wine and a chocolate fudge heart covered in chocolate sauce as well as a card wishing the Mrs. a Happy Birthday. Our room was very clean and very comfortable and we didn't think it was too small as others have indicated. It was a standard room and not a suite after all.

If you walk to the corner and the stoplight to cross the main road, you can head to the beach where a JW Marriott employee is waiting with chairs, umbrellas and towels. As we sat there one day, he would head to the water and fill up a garden watering can and sprinkle everyone's feet as they lay in the sun. It was a nice touch.

The location, in the middle of Copacabana Beach was wonderful. We felt very comfortable walking Avenida Atlantica at all hours. We also walked the streets behind the hotel to find many small shops and cafes. We spent one morning on a walk to and through Ipanema. It was an easy sight filled walk from the hotel (Yes, we did see the girl). We has no problems taking taxis, city buses and the subway.

As we had access to the lounge, we had no need to go out for breakfast or even use the hotel restaurant. We did have a lunch in the lobby one day when we were in the need for some "American" food. We had Marriott Burgers which were delicious. The lounge provided us with enough breakfast. They had a chef cooking made to order eggs as well as providing bacon, sausage and potatoes. There were many different pastries, toasts and muffins as well as cut up fresh fruit. In the evening from 6 to 9, the lounge offered small bites (hot) as well as sandwiches, cheeses, spreads, breads, etc. If so desired, one could have a light dinner right there. They also offered complimentary beer, wine and caipirinhas, which were killer.

On Sunday night, we were sitting at the lobby bar, trying some other fruit caipirinhas when we saw Bill and Chelsea Clinton come in. They were staying there for a conference further down the road. We felt very safe the first few days with all the police presence out front and the Secret Service in the hotel.

We had a wonderful trip with all the excursions we did and would go back in a heartbeat. The only negative comment I can make is the pillows on the bed. They were way too soft and when laying down, it was like having no pillow at all. That alone would not keep us from going back to this property.

Room Tip: Spend the extra on an ocean view room or a room with access to the Executive Lounge.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hedo_traveler
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
It is very pleasing to know that we made your wife’s birthday a memorable one, as we try our best to make our guests feel special. Thank you for taking the time to write just a wonderful review, it reflects the appreciation you have towards our team and we are all very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and all the wonderful services our hotel offers. We will take into consideration your input regarding the pillows since we want to provide the best to our guests. We look forward to a future visit so that we can again invite you to join us at the Griffin Club, beach service, The Carioca and all the other services we offer. Again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your input and we would once again like to wish the Mrs. many more birthdays to come.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Springs, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Marriott in Copacabana for our nuptials. We stayed in an ocean view room with a lovely, comfortable bed and a clean, small, but classy bathroom.
The overall service was top notch, we even received a little dish of bombons and a chilled bottle of champagne. HOWEVER, since we didn't open the bubbly on our first night, THEY TOOK IT BACK! It disappeared from our room after room service the next day. Wasn't it a gift? Who does that? We still had one night left.
PLUS:
there is no "free" (included) in-room wi-fi, it only works in the lobby;
there is no included breakfast either;
the hotel's parking space costs R$50.00 PER DAY.
Quite disappointing for such an EXPENSIVE and renowned hotel. There are much better options in Rio which offer more for what you're paying.

Room Tip: Make sure to let them know if you're choosing them for your wedding night, anniversary, birthday...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
First and foremost please allow me to thank you for choosing to share such a special moment in your life with us. As you mentioned we did send a gift to your room to congratulate you and your husband and that gift should have never been removed from your room. I apologize for the disappointment you experienced and I hope that in the future when you return to Rio you allow us to host your visit once again.
Richmond
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Pros: Great location. Overall condition of the property and rooms. Beautiful ocean views. Service. Staff speak excellent English and are very responsive to customer questions, preferences, and requests. There's a Nespresso (I think) machine in the Executive Lounge area. Robes, cushiony flip flops, high end toiletries.

Cons: Woman in the lobby trying to get people to tour a jewelry factory/store in nearby Ipanema. Could not find the hotel's beach attendant so got a towel from the front desk but no chair. I was told i could use the pool locker room after I checked out and before my limo to the airport arrived, but it does not work if you need to wheel a roller bag in and open it up to change clothes, shower, etc.

Overall, a very good experience. It met (but did not exceed) my expectations considering what i paid for an ocean view, junior suite room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Doreesey_pooh
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed our property and I apologize that you were not able to enjoy our complementary beach service. Depending on the weather conditions sometimes we are forced to close this service to our guests for safety reasons. I invite you to visit us again so that we provide you with the service that sets apart.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while in Rio. I chose this for the location and rooftop pool. Im a Marriot Rewards member and got a nice room on the 14th floor with a beach view. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job keeping my room tidy and organizing my mess. The lobby bar was good and we always got yummy drinks and good service. We met Libia one of the supervisors and she was great. Always greeted us with a smile and share good recommendations on things to do, restaurants, and shopping. The pool was rather small but it had a great view. We did not get to enjoy it much due to the weather. Wifi was only free in the lobby. For the rates they charge it should be complimentary in the room. I had stayed at an Ibis in Rio and it was included with the stay. too bad upscale hotels do not included it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and for choosing to stay with us. As a rewards member we try our best to offer complementary upgrades when available, so it makes me happy that we were able to provide you with an ocean view room for your stay. I appreciate the compliments for our team members and it will always be a pleasure to receive you again in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights recently and had so many problems! The GM did offer a discount and promised betterment on our last day, but it was a truly disappointing experience,. Bad experience at check in, failure to ever deliver a welcome gift of champagne sent by our US travel agent for the full 4 days despite repeated assurances that it would be delivered "this evening", poor housekeeping and daily issues with breakfast chasing payment-even having to leave my wife in the restaurant for security for more than 15 minutes while I went up to get the laptop as they would not accept that breakfast was included in our room rate, despite the front desk having assured me after a 3 hour wait and two calls to the USA travel agent- that it was all taken care of (no internet offered in the room free, though Orient Express and the Alvear chain in Buenos Aires do offer free internet) and no daily NY Times fax to my room despite 2 times promises that "I have updated your profile and you will receive it daily to your room" and more. For about USD $500 per night, you expect more. Some staff seemed really trying and the GM's email helped, but not a good experience at all.

Room Tip: Book the Copacabana Palace instead
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillBoyd46
Once again thank you for comments and for giving me some of your time on the last day of your visit to personally share your experience. Comments from our valued guest are always welcome and assist us in continuously improving our services. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience and we hope to have another opportunity to change your impression in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Excellent Location, right across the Copacabana beach. The beds are amazing and the whole room I got was pretty great in general terms. The rooftop had a beautiful view, sadly the weather wasn't at its best. The gym is pretty complete and staff there are super friendly. I find the concierges to vary a lot one from another; I had two super awesome concierges giving some great recommendations for lunch and dinner (Brasileirinho and Le Blonde by Ipanema)!! But the third one, simply awful, not to the JW standards or any other great hotel. A bit of arrogance was shown on his side, even mentioned that he had traveled around while working for the Marriott and seemed "to think to know way too much of everything". (Not helpful)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PabloJHeredia
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodations and our views. I apologize for the service experience you had and as you mention that is not the service we offer at our property. I thank you for your comment as it helps us improve. Please visit us again if your plans bring you back to Rio in the near future

seattle
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Perfect location in the center of Capocabana. It has complimentary beach service just across the street. Nice view on the roof top. Convenient Executive Lounge for breakfast and appetizers in the evening. Good wifi connection. It is unfortunate that it does not have any room with balcony.

Room Tip: Executive Lounge level
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank laurapoint
We are located in the center of Copacabana and it is indeed a perfect location with the best view as you mentioned. Thank you for your comment and we hope that you have a future opportunity to visit us once again.