“Very good choice in Rio but you have to pay for it.”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #15 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is really great, location is perfect, just in front the sea, clean, with a freindly staff, and offers many leisure services such a pool, a spa. The rooms are small for Marriott standards but, very well appointed. I am a marriott elite member and I have free breakfast located in the 9 floor, very good service. At 3 in the afternoon they offer cheeses, and from 6 to 9 is coktel time with many choices of food beverages and drinks. The staff who attend the concierge Lounge is really helpfull, specially Alejandro Rios Balaguer. He prepared for me a Caipiriha perfect.!!!
As I said I will choice it again, but I have to recognice that it is out of price. I got a promotional price for members so it was perfect for me. .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback. Needless to say your gracious comments will be shared with the team and in particular with Alejandro. Comments like yours motivates us to always strive to offer the best service to our guests.
We look forward welcoming you back in Rio

Regards
Fernanda Doria
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,344)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in May at the Marriot Copacabana, accompanying a group of around 80 people in a international conference on Action learning that have been happening every year in a different country for 18 years.

Although not that big, it is a group of people that know what they like and are demanding when it comes to quality, not to mention the whole needs for the 4 days of conference to run smoothly.

the hotel is located just in front Copacabana beach. It has good taste on decoration and a mix of certain glamour and charm at the same time informal and beach like. The restaurant is good without being special, if compared with the huge possibilities of the Brazilian cuisine in Rio. It has a cozy swimming pool, a spa, and a nice small shop which sells gifts from H Stern among others.

There was a renovation going on, which at the beginning made us organizers a bit concern if it would disturb the event. But even dough it was one floor above the conference rooms, it didn't.
the only real noise that was happening was the one that we produced when we had a percussion workshop with a wonderful group called Quizomba, which managed to make 80 people who never play together and most of them, never played a musical instrument at all, play a samba with break and everything after 1 1/2 hour.

But coming back to the hotel, he staff was very good in attending the needs of the participants in a manner that everybody left the country convinced of the flexibility and good will of Brazilians in dealing with any problem that may arise. The attention was excellent especially from the team that coordinate events and even when we have to deal with some difficulties regarding the place for our welcome cocktail, together we, the organizers and the restaurant managers find a good solution to our group.

Room Tip: Rooms that have view to the ocean of course are the best ones. But not only for that, rooms in the o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had only one day to spend in Rio de Janeiro on my way home after a trip to Argentina and Chile, so I booked the JW Marriott due to its location across from Copacabana beach and the fact that I could use Marriott points to pay for what would otherwise have been an expensive room.

I arrived around 11 am, hoping that they would have a room available. There were several people ahead of me in line, a small two person check-in counter, and no separate elite counter. After waiting for about 10 minutes I got to the front of the line and a staffer off to the side noticed my Platinum Marriott Rewards card and told me I should check in on the 9th floor where I could also use their Executive lounge as an elite member. I don't know why they would not have had a sign to that effect if they expect you to check in there. He escorted me up there.

On the 9th floor, they have a concierge by the elevator bank and the lounge is a walk down the hall to the other side of the building. They were nice enough to offer me my choice of a lower floor room right away, or a higher floor room in 30 minutes. As both had full ocean views, I opted for the higher floor and used the lounge to get a drink and check my email. When my room was ready, they came to find me and gave me the key. As I didn't want to leave my suitcases unattended, the staffer who brought me up to the 9th floor went back down to the tour desk on the ground floor to get me a complete description of tours that could be booked through their tour desk, knowing that I wanted to make the most of my one day in the city. I was pleasantly surprised by his service. The still available tours for that afternoon, however, seemed to be pretty expensive - 280 Real (about $140 USD) for a four hour tour that only went to the Christ the Redeemer statue and Sugar Loaf. The tour desk agent pushed this more expensive tour which used "executive vans" saying it would be much more personal and comfortable than the same but much less expensive (and still available) tour in a large bus. As it turned out, the van was pretty old and uncomfortable with torn vinyl seats - not the luxury van the agent implied. The guide did not provide much of a tour really, mostly transportation and group coordination. Almost half the tour time was used fighting traffic, stopping to buy entrance tickets, and waiting in line for the national park shuttles that must be used to take you to the top of Corcovado to see the Christ statue. I suspect the large buses would have been a better value.

The guest room itself seemed to have been renovated and was comfortable with a good view, large work desk, and the standard amenities. I was able to use the Executive lounge for their free breakfasts and evening snacks which was nice. Though I was too late for breakfast when I checked in, there is a small self-serve refrigerator in the lounge that has pastries and yogurt/fruit cups packed which you can bring back to your room.

There is a convenient currency exchange in the basement. Be sure to bring your passport (or a copy) with you, otherwise, they won't exchange money. For some reason, they have to enter all sorts of info into their computer, so be prepared to take 5-10 minutes. There seemed to be ATM machines scattered in little sunken booths along the beach, but I didn't use any of those.

The next morning, the lobby layout had completely changed, making me wonder if I had lost my mind. Apparently, they were renovating the lobby and had moved the check-in desk to another side of the lobby overnight and expanded it significantly. The tour desk was also on the opposite side of where it had been the day before.

It was nice to be centrally located. I was able to leisurely stroll around the area during the day, though it seemed there were mostly just hotels, restaurants, apartments (on the back streets) and a few souvenir shops. I had been told by friends and by the tour guide that the Copacabana area is not that safe at night - that tourists often get robbed. Indeed, the beach and sidewalks along Avenida Atlantica seemed to be deserted when I looked out my window at night.

I had an 8 pm flight back home, so I asked for a late checkout and they let me have the room till 5 pm! Even as a Platinum member, I've never gotten one that late. YMMV. When I went down to get a yellow taxi to go to the airport, the doorman annoyingly kept trying to pressure me to take the hotel car for 125 Real (with the driver standing there). When I asked him why I should, all he could say was that it was better because it was a flat rate, not on the meter. Fortunately, I had previously asked two other hotel staffers about the safety and cost of taking a yellow taxi to the airport and they said that the taxi drivers that wait at the stand next to the hotel are all well known to them and are trustworthy (as opposed to flagging one down from the street). One staffer told me that the price with even the worst traffic imaginable to GIG would be no more than 70 Real. When I told the doorman that I didn't see why I should pay more just because it didn't have a meter, he dropped the hotel car price to 100 Real - "special deal just for me" - but I couldn't see the logic in that option. As it turned out, the metered taxi cost was less than 45 Real (and the friendly driver spoke perfect English).

So, my experience was mixed. I thought the room was nice, the lounge access great, the late checkout simply wonderful, and the service from most of the staffers excellent. But I was turned off by the aggressive sales pitches I got from the tour desk operator (who I think was probably an independent travel agent, but clearly still sanctioned by the hotel) and the doorman. Had I paid the hotel's regular prices and not used points, I would have been even more disappointed in that behavior. Top hotels don't tolerate this kind of inconsistency.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view. Those who left their curtains open in the atrium view rooms seemed to have...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank castriker888
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Rio de Janeiro and taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I was concerned to hear about our staff approach on certain occasions and please accept my apologies for this experience. Your comments were shared with the team and all measures are being taken and it will not happen again.
On the other hand I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the other services provided.
Once again thank you for your comments

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel faces Copacabana beach and was a easy walk to various eateries and shops. The rooms were small but adequate, with a coffee percolator and amenities like iron & ironing board. Although there were some renovations in the lobby during my 11-day stay there, it was vaguely noticeable. The hotel also has a currency exchange in basement level 1 which was convenient. I loved their oatmeal and yogurt selection, but thought the rest of the breakfast items were average. All the service staff were very helpful and quick to respond to our requests. Most importantly, I felt safe in this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay extra for seaview room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tragedy65
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First of all, I must confess: The price is abusive. I couldn't recommend to anyone to stay there paying the regular rate. My company has a great discount, which makes it a viable option, otherwise it would be rather overpriced. Despite that, one must consider that most of the other Copacabana options are fairly outdated and equally overpriced. Generally speaking, I would advise anyone to stay away from Copacabana when it comes to hotels. If you are able to get a discount like I do (corporate fares), this hotel is a great option. As many people already spoke, the inner (atrium) rooms are awkward - people can see you from the outside if you leave the curtains open. On the good side I would mention the breakfast with extensive choices of both regional and general food, the gym and when they have a little tent outside at the beach area. My perception of the crew varies. Bellhops seemed to be eager for tips but the waiters at the breakfast were just amazing - very polite and at the second day of the stay the guy already knew were I wanted to seat and what I would like to drink. I stay there with a certain frequency and must say that despite the flaws I'm not willing to stay anywhere else in Rio.

Room Tip: If you can spare a bit of an extra cash, don't get a room on the atrium side.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed at the JW Rio for two nights whilst out for the England match at the Maracana stadium.
Booked a junior suite , Copacabana view which was a lovely room. Only issue was it was room 920 which is right next to the kitchen for the executive lounge so was woken on both days at 5.20/5.30 am by lots of banging as they prepared the breakfast. I was offered a move after the first night which I declined as I was only there two nights, but no offer of any discount or extra marriott points. At $430 a night you would hope for a good nights sleep, I am sure I am not the first person to be disturbed in this room!
Overall a decent hotel, nice exec lounge ,good location, excellent gym and roof top pool. Would recommend just not room 920!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sean09
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Rio has a huge problem regarding hotels (all expensive and old / filthy), so the JW becomes an excellent choice. No frills, not full of personality and charm but certainly does the job.
Comfy bed, nice bathroom, nice pool on the rooftop (sunny all day), very good gym for it's size, great service. Copacabana is not my favorite location, but it's not far from (much better) Ipanema and Leblon.
Sometimes they offer good weekend deals which makes it even more appealing. If you're not in Rio very often, go for the ocean view rooms. Otherwise the atrium ones are ok.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra, specially higher floors, as Copacabana's views are amongst...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple