“DISAPPOINTED TRAVELER”

Ranked #133 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“DISAPPOINTED TRAVELER”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Traffic is horrific in this area. 1 hour to get here form Santos Dumont Airport. Hotel is dated. Best thing about it was great bed, which is most important. Unfortunately, I am a business traveler and the internet was not functioning which made the entire stay dismal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cleiton H, Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Botafogo Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2016

Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts, impressions and suggestions.
All opinions and questions are important to us and our staff to improve our services and offer quality to our guests. And that´s why I guarantee they can help us to make it better.

Manager Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have Mercure Botafogo as a base in Rio for my co-workers from the Netherlands to stay while working in a project in Rio, and I Also lived there with my family for 1 month, I may say that price is unbeatable for the excellent service and appartment rooms with that you get.

Room Tip: Try to get appartments at Tower 1 to get a view of the Christ.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

honolulu
Reviewed September 11, 2012

First of all Rio is expensive, especially hotels and food. And even though I stayed only in this whole for 9 nights I get the impression that the overall quality of hotels and in general service sector is lower than what you would expect.
Secondly, it is the most fun city you will find anywhere.
Pros: you can get a room with a view of Christo. Nice big balconies. Good air-conditioning. Free internet ( it is slow). Front desk was nice.
Cons: My room was tiny but most other rooms also have a living area ( not sure what the price difference is), the blanket had large stains and strangely enough it was not covered with sheets which is probably why it looked so dirty, the carpet in the hallways is simply disgusting looking. The area is pretty central but if I did it again I would pay the difference and stay on the beach. The charm of Rio is really the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank aturkinnola

New Jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Although I admittedly was not staying in luxury hotels (such as the Hilton) while in S America, I stayed at moderately prices hotels and that had been reviewed at TripAdvisor. Of all the hotels I stayed it, this was by far the best!

My room consisted of a suite, with a little kitchenette, and TVs in both the bedroom and living room. Unlike many hotels which provide no desks/tables and only 1 chair (often a wooden chair) to sit on, the living room had a lovely sofa plus a desk and a ergonomically designed desk-chair. Although I did not sample the pool or exercise room, they looked clean and inviting.

The hotel is not located terribly close to the beaches but cabs are very cheap in Rio. I had originally been staying in a rather depressing hotel near Copacabana which was much, much smaller and considerably more expensive. What a delightful change when I moved to the Mercure. I highly recommend this hotel.

[I'm not sure why this is called an apartment - other perhaps than for the fact that the rooms included a kitchenette. I thought maybe you didn't get housekeeping service but this was not the case. Every day, my room was cleaned, the bed made, etc.]

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo