Ancoraue - Day Tours - CLOSED

Book in advance
from
$93.35
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2017

My experience with climbinrio (aka Ancoraue) far exceeded my expectations.
I climbed 2 days with Mingo, climbing 2 different routes up Sugarloaf (5.10a-ish), 1 route up Corcavado (5.9), and two pitches in Tijuca forest (up to 5.10d or 5.11- i think), 18 pitches in all.
Mingo's English was excellent and communication was not an issue at all (very important). He is an extremely competent guide and fun climbing partner with lots of stories! He expertly assessed my abilities, allowed me to climb near my limit, and the climbs felt more like partner climbing rather than guide-client relationship (I've been climbing ~5 years).
Highly recommend!

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Rob O
Reviewed June 20, 2017

I had the pleasure of having Mingo as my guide for this tour. I am not an experienced climber, but fairly athletic athletic and he managed to customise the route to the top for me so that it was doable but definitely challenging and fun! The route is beautiful, the views were breathtaking and Mingo was very professional, having an extensive knowledge of the the sport and beyond, being able to both coach me and keep me safe, while entertaining me and having a good time.

Thank you for a wonderful day!

3  Thank victoriawahl
Reviewed May 26, 2017

The trip exceeded my expectations, and I definitely will be going back the next time I find myself in Rio. I did a 3 day climbing tour: one day on Sugarloaf, and the other days at Tres Picos. The experience felt unique, and my guide, Mingo, was very knowledgable and made me feel comfortable with getting to know the different types of climbs in the Rio area. It was also my first time climbing multi-pitch routes, and Mingo guided me through everything I needed to know. I felt reassured right from the beginning, and Mingo was quick to respond to my emails and tailored the trip to my interests and level of climbing. I highly recommend going with these guys if you're looking for a fun and unique trip.

2  Thank Sandra W
Reviewed May 14, 2017

I am regularly going on Alpine mountaineering tripes at low technical climbing scale (e.g., Schreckhorn, Matterhorn Hörnli ridge, Eiger Mittellegi ridge, Obergabelhorn north face) but like to have fun climbing technical stuff as well. Thus, I just had to try Sugarloaf Mountain when I saw it. I was very impressed! Here a few pointers:

1) Ancorauê (via their website Climbing in Rio) directly managed to arrange for a guide for the next day within less than 10min from my email. Nevertheless, that's not advice -- they are very popular and easily overbook.

2) The *oustanding* guide MINGO LEAHY perfectly assessed my abilities and suggested a more challenging experience than I had originally envisioned. During the climb, he focussed on making the experience perfect for me -- doing a substantial extra effort at route selection and adaptation to my taste, ability and amount of exhaustion. In the end, we climbed more pitches than I had anticipated and I arrived at the top perfectly happy.

3) As a guide, I rate MINGO LEAHY as excellent and strongly recommend that you request specifically him.

3  Thank Jan P
Reviewed March 27, 2017

Mingo and Tomas are fantastic. In three days we climbed both sides of sugarloaf and up the the christ statue. These guys are fun, smart, experienced, and super laid back. Would recommend them to anyone - from beginners to experienced climbers.

Date of experience: March 2017