“Rio tour with Luis”

Luis Darin Tour Guide In Rio
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
6-Hour Rio Highlights Private Tour With Pickup...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Flexibility is the key word on the tailor made tours I provide. I’ll help you to create your own tour itinerary, so you can see the places you want, the way you want to see them.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We arranged our tour with Luis from London - Luis having been recommenced to us.
We spend a excellent day with Luis in Rio de Janeiro. He took us to all the well known sites and many amazing, but less know places. He certainly showed us all aspects of the city. We would happily use Luis again and recommend him. Very friendly and knowledgeable tour guide.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"sugar loaf"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Four of us hired Luis for a day and a half tour. We specified an interest in culture, history, art, and scenery. We could not have been more pleased. Luis took us places we never would have found on our own. He added to this with convenient transportation and parking. Rio is difficult to navigate on your own - Luis allowed us to see a lot in our allotted time. And he managed to include a lot without lots of standing in line and other such time-killers. We included an art exhibit in Central Rio, and Luis shocked us with his knowledge of Brazilian art. We also saw the Portuguese library in Central Rio, a wonderful memory.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were fortunate enough to have both Luis and Julio for our 2 days in Rio. With my husband's limited mobility and using a wheelchair, we couldn't have done all that we did without Luis and Julio. Luis met us at the airport and it was non stop from then on. What a great way to see the entire city and locations that many tourists don't see. They are very knowledgeable about Rio's history and full of curent info, Couldn't have maneuvered around Sugarloaf and Christo Redentor without them. Well worth it!

1  Thank paulas373
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had a great day with Luis. The tour was like visting a close friend (who knows history, culture, and all the local secrets) in his home city and having him drive you around, show you the best views, take you to the best little gem eateries, and give you a real flavor for the diversity of people, culture, terrain, architecture, art, and lifestyles in the city. On a practical basis, Luis' English is excellent (he lived in the US for few years in the past), he drives safely, he is the president of the Rio tour guides association, and he grew up and lives in Rio. The cost was very reasonable. I strongly recommend doing a tour with Luis (in fact, I immediately did, to multiple colleagues who were visiting Rio for the same conference I was attending).

I'd never been to Rio before, and had only one day to tour. Luis responded promptly to my last minute email request, and fortunately he had had a cancellation and was available. I'd also not done a private tour guide before, but I will from now on where ever I go!

Some detail: Our full day tour began with Luis picking me up right on time at my hotel in Barra de Tujica in his comfortable and clean car. He asked a few questions and quickly developed an itinerary. It's good to start early to avoid traffic crush and lines at some of the popular sites. Briefly, we drove into a forrest park, which incredibly is right in the middle of the city, to see the waterfalls, flora, etc. (I highly recommend); went to the Christ the Redeemer statue (timed perfectly - no line to wait for shuttle bus that takes you up there), while stopping before and after at multiple secret turn offs for unbelievable views of the city; talked about and saw city history, favelas, plants, economy, raising kids, re-forestation, etc. etc.; had a tasty snack and toured in Santa Theresa; went to a farmer's market absent of other tourists right in the bustle of the city (the fruit was amazing); drove into and parked in Copacobana, where we had a quick bite to eat; went to a military base at the very beginning of Copacobana, where we walked up in forest to an amazing view of the entire beach to the west and of the bay entrance and Sugarloaf to the east and north, and on the way we interacted with multiple families of monkeys (!) literally inches from us (this alone was a priceless experience); drove down along the entire beaches of Copacobana, Ipanema, stopping to see some of the activity, including hang gliders and beach volleyball where you can't use your hands; and finally returning to my hotel. Of note, I decided along the way to not take the cable cars to Sugarloaf, as we had plenty of wonderful views of the city already.

I can't say enough about how great the tour was. Luis is professional, thoughtful, strategic in the tour planning, directly responsive to your interests with no resistance, and crafted a perfect one day tour for me. Don't think twice!

1  Thank PhilllyZen