“A drive thru Rio.”

Marcio Boechat: Private Guide in Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #48 of 465 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come to Rio and have The Very Best of it. I am a Tour Guide in Rio since 2005, doing the Best to have my Friends Completely satisfied...just waiting for you here in Rio. I lived for 2 Years in Bethesda, MD - USA. Also lived for 4 years in Europe. I have so many awsome things to offer you. Showing the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro to my passengers is something very pleasant to me.... like Christ The Redeemer Statue, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Tijuca National Park (Rain Forest), Maracana Stadium, Santa Teresa District, Metropolitan Cathedral, Old Rio, Petropolis (The Imperial City), The wonderful and famous Beaches of Rio, also the Hidden beaches of Rio, Hanglider flights, Lapa (The Bohemian Samba District), Samba School Rehearsals, Off the beaten sites, like Prainha. etc etc. . . Everything to make your visit to Rio de Janeiro. . . . ."SIMPLY UNFORGETTABLE"
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A drive thru Rio.”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Marcio was very nice and responded promptly to my emails however the tour failed to be more than a drive thru Rio. I had a list of things I wanted to see in Rio which Marcio agreed on prior to our tour. He failed to deliver on Taunay falls and Sugar Loaf Mountain, mainly because he didn't want to wait in line. Instead he drives you thru the city pointing out various landmarks. At one point he stopped the car downtown and told us to get out an take pictures while he waited near the car. He couldn't be bothered to park. He is not a "real" tour guide. One because he fails to display the proper licence plate of a guide, and coaches you thru an elaborate story if the police should pull you over. Second, because there is no commentary, he doesn't have any knowledge of history or the story of Rio, a few facts here and there but much of the time is spent with small talk or silence. If you value a rich commentary of what you're seeing and the history of Rio or Brazil, he's not your guy.The highlight of the tour was Christ the Redeemer which we toured first thing in the morning to avoid the lines. Marcio hates lines and will avoid anything that might require waiting, hence the reason we missed Sugar Loaf. Sadly he parked at the mall which is a 30min walk from sugar loaf mountain,we made the walk back and fourth, he strongly discouraged us from going, saying he would take us the next day. It was only when we were back in the car that he told us we would have to go on our own by taxi. The tour was over by 3, not worth the $250. Overall, he is a nice man trying to make a living but he doesn't have the knowledge of a tour guide and failed to prepare for the tour by buying tickets ahead of time or planning the tour out so that we weren't driving aimlessly thru the city. Save your money.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Sumit J
marcioboechat, Owner at Marcio Boechat Rio de Janeiro Tours, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Well, I've been a Tour Guide for 7 years. This is the first time that somebody says that I have no Knowledge about rio de Janeiro and it's History.......I am an Official Tour Guide in Rio de Janeiro and I always carry my License with me.I had to study to get it from the Braziliann Ministry of Tourism. When we arrived at Sugar Loaf ....it was packed....I just explained to Mr. Sumit that we would waist too much time doing that and he had another day in Rio to do it early in the morning......I think he thought I would take him to Sugar Loaf at the other day.....But I was already busy........otherwise I would take him.....no problem at all.....Well.....I don't know much what to say.....Please, read all the other Reviews about me........
Thanks for your Review Mr. Sumit.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The perfect way to experience Rio”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Marcio responded promptly to my request for a tour despite short notice, and accommodated every request I had. First on the agenda was a football game, which was an incredible experience and highly recommended - he bought tickets in advance, picked me up from the airport and drove to the stadium, and even ensured I got my jersey to support the local team (Flamengo)!

As others have noted, Marcio is great at building a plan to suit your needs. He suggested that I take the following day (Sunday) to visit the Copacabana and Ipanema beaches on my own as I was staying at a hotel close by, since the weather would have literally put a damper on seeing the key sights such as Sugar Loaf etc. He suggested places to eat nearby (e.g. fruit juices) and where to go (e.g. Hippie Market) - all of which was excellent advice.

The following day, as planned, we started early in order to cover our ambitious agenda for the day. Not only did we visit every major attraction I wanted to (Statue of Christ Redeemer, Tijuca, beaches beyond Barra, Maracana stadium, Sugar Loaf), he had a fantastic attitude and enthusiasm for the city and all it has to offer. Lunch at an authentic churrasqueira was perfect! Somehow we also fit in hang-gliding at Sao Conrado, which was an incredible experience - Marcio knew an experienced pilot and set it all up flawlessly.

There's no way I could have had such a great time in Rio without Marcio's honest guidance, reliable and enthusiastic tour of the key sights, and his ability to adapt every aspect to my needs. I would strongly recommend him, and expect to have a great time in Rio with him by your side.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank KHarji
marcioboechat, Owner at Marcio Boechat Rio de Janeiro Tours, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello Karim, How are you? I hope you're doing Great....Yes, We had a Great Time together. That Football Match.....hehe....I think You'll never forget it. And all the other things we saw together.
Thank you a 1000 Times for your Kind Review....That' what makes us breath better. Sicere Reviews like yours are like Oxygen for us......that proves that we are in the correct way........
Thanks again.....and again.....and again.....
The Best regards my friend,
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Marcio has made us fall in love with Rio”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband (who had never been to Brazil) and I (who grew up in Brazil) went to Rio in June and spent one day with Marcio - enough to have us wanting to go back to him! He was recommended by one of his colleagues, and let me tell you...I had been to Rio a few times already, but had never experienced it as I did with Marcio, he made me fall in love with the city! In ONE day, he took us to the most beautiful parts of Rio that people usually don't see, and made sure to accommodate to our needs and wants. Within the limited time, he made sure to take us to the spots that would interest us most, timing it with the best place to watch the sunset. Our camera died, and he made sure to take all the photos we wanted with his camera. He even gave us a ride to the airport out of courtesy! My husband loved Rio and the fact that Marcio spoke excellent English made it exponentially better to him. We highly recommend Marcio for any kind of tour you are looking for. He'll make you fall in love with the wonderful city of Rio and leave you wanting more.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank kimester
marcioboechat, Owner at Marcio Boechat Rio de Janeiro Tours, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you Very Much for your Review. It helps us keep working hard to have our customers Really satisfied......Thanks again.....If you ever come back to Rio....You know you have a Friend here.....
Kind Regards,
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful tour of Rio with Marcio”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I had only about 6 hours to spend in Rio and we wanted to make the most out of it. We were extremely lucky to choose Marcio for this, since we loved every minute of this short tour. Marcio picked us up from the airport and he didnt waste any time at all. He speaks excellent English and his car was very comfortable. He is very pleasant and relaxed from the first minute you meet him. He designed the tour according to our needs and he knew his way around to avoid traffic and long waiting queues very well, so we didnt waste any time waiting at any of the places we visited.
We are looking forward to go back and we certainly know who our tour guide will be again.
We strongly recommend Marcio!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Tatiana D
marcioboechat, Owner at Marcio Boechat Rio de Janeiro Tours, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful Review.....that's what makes us breath better....knowing the people were satisfied with our work......You know that if you come back to Rio you have a friend.Thanks again
Marcio Boechat
Atascocita, Texas
“A very full day!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were three older travelers, one using crutches with a broken foot. Marcio modified his itinerary to meet our needs, and we had a great day. He went well beyond the scope of the usual "must sees" and made sure we got the unique "feel" of Rio, a city of which he is obviously very proud. He seems to really enjoy showing you his city, rather than it being just another work day for him. We came back to our apartment exhausted but feeling like we had gotten a taste of the real Rio. I highly recommend Marcio.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank JoyDawnC
Hello Joy, How are you?.....Thanks a Lot for your Review.....I'm always doing my Best to have My Friends who come to Rio totally satisfied.......
Best Regards,