“Beautiful place and fabulous service”
Review of Casa Mosquito

Casa Mosquito
Ranked #25 of 327 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Beautiful place and fabulous service”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were a bit unsure of making the reservation due to the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor... but we decided to reserve anyway. It was THE BEST decision we made on the trip. The hotel is beautiful, and such an oasis in the heart of the Ipanema/ Copacabana hot spot.

And the service was AMAZING... no ask was too small or too big. We arrived at the hotel at 7:30am, and we figured we would have to wait til the afternoon to get into our room. We were delighted to find out that our room was ready!! Throughout the trip we had questions and requests (converter, try another room for a different experience) and they made it happen.

Couple of tips... we stayed in the PIXIGUINHA room and loved it. We preferred it to the HEITOR VILLA-LOBOS room because of more space and a shower. Definitely take the tour of the Rocina favela. The hotel will arrange it... it was a highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the PIXIGUINHA room and loved it. We preferred it to the HEITOR VILLA-LOBOS room becaus...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
benjamin C, Propriétaire at Casa Mosquito, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Client,

We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed the "mosquito experience".

I will share it with all the team.

We hope seeing you soon in a near future.

Best,
Benjamin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Casa Mosquito is a charming refuge from the bustle of Rio. Unique in design, detail and quality oriented with professional staff and management, our stay @ Casa Mosquito was sheer pleasure from the minute we walked in to the minute we walked out. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013
David A, Gerente at Casa Mosquito, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Costumer,

We would like to thank you for the given commentary.
It is very important to know that our work is recognized and even more important that you left Casa Mosquito satisfied.
Everyday we try to improve our service to make your stay Unforgettable.

We hope to see you in a near future,

Best Regards,
new zealand
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Pro's: Quiet,clean, beautifully decorated, central, small.
Con's: My husband and I discussed writing this review for some length of time but decided to do so to help those who may be expecting what we expected. We have travelled for 36 years and mainly staying in five and four star hotels everywhere in the world. So we know what to expect when a place says they are boutique accommadation. This place didn't fit the bill.I walk ten kilometres a day so I am pretty fit. The hill up to the hotel is STEEP. Then when you get to the gate you have more STEEP steps, and I mean steep. They are killers. If you want that kind of entrance to a hotel fine, we didn't. Our room was small. So small we had no where to put our two bags and they are only 11kilo sized bags. If we put them on the floor we would trip over them. We had to put them in the wardrobe and everytime we wanted something we had to take them out and put them on the floor.It was sooooooo annoying and inconvienent. There was no room for a bedside table on my side so I had no place to put my night time things I wanted. There were two flimsy deck chairs on the small veranda and the first time my husband sat in one, he ended up on th floor. The material came away from the arm rest and it collapsed. Having just had a hip replacement, it gave us a fright. Didn't dare use them again.
Breakfast: Over priced for what was given. Rediculously so. It was just average fare. The table wasn't clean on the second morning we sat down. The waiter/handy man served us both mornings in the same dirty T shirt he had on for the three days we were there.It was filthy.
The real eye opener for us was,we were only allowed one hot drink with our breakfast.It's stated in the menue. Want another one? pay for it. Never in all our travels have we come across this. If you stay in a high end hotel, they make sure your coffee cup is never empty. The ill will this one drink policy does to the hotel is emormous, I hope they realise that.We were given our drink first, so by the time we got to our toast, we had either drunk it or it was stone cold. I tried to tell the waiter/hanyman, but he couldn't understand me. Couldn't be bothered getting up and trying to find someone else that could.
They have also put a notice in the bedrooms, that you are not allowed to bring any food and drink into the hotel and if you do you will be fined. That's a first for us as well. Unbelievable. We stayed in a five star hotel after we left this place and I bought a huge box of fresh figs one day and ate some in the reception lounge area and what I couldn't eat, I gave to the porters who were simply delighted. I certainly wasn't fined!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never heard of this stipulation before.Never had a notice put in the room.Is it worth it for the ill feeling it causes? I wouldn't have thought so.
Reception: Yes there is someone normally there but they are glued to a laptop and you have to wait until they can unglue themselves from it. David not good on english , infact we just had to give up and wait for Benjamin to come if we wanted to know anything. We were never introduced to the other guests. I mean, hello, there are only four rooms! It would have been nice to be introduced. No one spoke to each other. I didn't feel welcomed at all. We were just there for our money.The extras weren't there.
If you want a better breakfast for half the price, walk down the hill( sorry but that means you have to walk up again) walk down the hill to the end of the road at the crossing and you will find an Italian place across the road with name starting with a Z, can't remember the name. The meals are really good there and cheaper. You get what you pay for, which I can't say we did with Casa Mosquito. Just good decor doesn't make a great hotel. Would I stay there again? Definately not, there are better places around.

Room Tip: Get another hotel
10 Thank FrancescaNewZealand
benjamin C, Propriétaire at Casa Mosquito, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Client,

Firstable as the owner of casa MOSQUITO, i would like to apologie, I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Regarding your comments about the breakfast and the waiter, I want to express my apologies for this incident. This is unacceptable, and I can assure you that I have already taken proper precautions to ensure that this never happens again. By the way our tropical breakfast is the range price of what you get in Rio.

About the room, the "Tom Jobim" suite is actually the smallest of the hotel but also the most charming with dual view on both Ipanema and copacabana. If I can afford counsel, he would have been easier to tell us that the room was not so ggod for you, and we would have done anything for you to find one matching your expectations. It is always easier and fairer than leaving a misapprehension, without us speaking, I could not guess ...

The only thing on which I do not agree with you and I also found your comment on David very hard for it because it is perfectly trilingual Portuguese, English and German.

I understand that you won't come back this is a shame, but i'll be pleased to offer you a better experience.

I am at your disposal for further informations.

Best Regards,
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Amazing hotel in the heart of Ipanema, with a magnificant service. Great tips from the staff in terms of places to visit, restaurants, etc. Benjamin helped us in organizing our 5-day trip in Rio, including a visit to Favela Rochina (if you have the chance, please do it!). I will repeat for sure! Rooms and cleanliness also perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
benjamin C, Propriétaire at Casa Mosquito, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Pedro,

Thank you for your review. I will share your post with all the team.

We are looking forward to sseing you soon at casa MOSQUITO, don't forget that a new part will be ready in december 2013.

Kind Regards,
Benjamin?
San Francisco
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Casa Mosquito is an exquisite intimate botique hotel in a great location right betwen Ipanema and Copacabana. Very central, but secluded from the crowd. It is beautiful with an exceptional staff, always present but descreet. When you enter the modern hotel the white drapery blowing on the porch overlooking the streets of Ipanema feels like an oasis from the city streets. We ate breakfast each morning at the hotel in the private and intimate garden.

Minor con (in the interest of balance) - we heard a little too much from the dogs in the neighborhood, but this part of being in Rio and minor compared to an overall fantastic experience at Casa Mosquito.

Dear Andrew,

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at casa MOSQUITO.

Even if we can't do anything i would like to apologize for the dog next door, we are doing our best to explain to our neighbours... I know you understand.

It will be a great pleasure to see you in a near future.

Best,
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hidden away boutique hotel is warm and friendly and just a turn up the hill from the Ipanema and Copacabana beaches. While one might, from a distance, imagine she'd like to be on the beach, in fact -- once you come to Rio -- you will see it's better to be a couple footsteps away. Close to the best restaurant -- Brazilinho (get the full meal, with whatever meat and the collard greens) -- and the fruit market. David at the front desk is a gem, as is the director Benjamin. This is definitely the place for younger, hipper Ipanema travelers, however it is warm and friendly and welcoming for all. I just wished I had someone to invite over for drinks on the patio. They have a small table with green pillows I really wished I could show off. Eat dinner at the long table inside, it's the prettiest.

Room Tip: If you like to bathe, let them know when you book. Some rooms have a shower and some a bath.
Dear Amie,

Thank you for your nice review, i will share it with David and the team.

Looking forward to seeing you again at casa MOSQUITO.

Warmest Regards,
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Beautiful view, nice and very clean rooms, perfect bathroom with great products
A cosy and design place to stay in Rio '
Dont miss the breakfast it Is delicious!!
Perfect and safe location in Ipanema, 10min walk from the beach

• Stayed February 2013
benjamin C, Propriétaire at Casa Mosquito, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Leila,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing casa MOSQUITO for your recent visit in Rio and for taking the time to give us your impressions.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to casa MOSQUITO

Warmest Regards,