“great two day stay”
Review of Casa Mosquito

Casa Mosquito
Ranked #29 of 341 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2012

great bed, room and shower. great staff, very nice common area. would definitely go again.
only caution, steep stairs to get in and on a hill. otherwise. very pleasant. my local friends were impressed and are planning to return themselves. its a different Rio hotel stay, not on beach (10 min walk) and in a neighborhood ( formerly dangerous). was safe from my experience and no issue.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FSos

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I would recommend this place for a 3/4 night stay..I was there just for one night, way too short!!! Excellent service, Benjamin is a gem, helpful, discreet and efficient ... The room was really great, with open bathroom and great large shower.. Some blocks up the hill would haev helped for the view..But definitely a place to stay..and NO mosquito there...! Excellent caipirinha...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dircomLM
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I really enjoyed our 3-day stay at Casa Mosquito! The location is indeed a bit on a somewhat hilly road, but it is very close to the beach, Ipanema restaurants and metro station. Design of the common areas is immaculate and very stylish! We had a couple of afternoon caipi's on the terrace overlooking the (pacified) favela, so pretty.

Service was great, loved the bathroom and provided amenities (although they weren't re-stocked during our stay) and nice bed. Room size was OK, with cute little terrace. Breakfast prices are quite steep but there are many 'suco' places in the area to get your breakfast. Also heard the dogs barking, bit annoying, but what can you do about it.

I would definitely stay here again (especially in ten months time when the roof top swimming pool is ready ;-))!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a very nice stay in Casa Mosquito. The interiors are very stylish and cosy, with a touch of sophistication and cosmopolitan character. The service was just great, everybody from Casa Mosquito was so helpful. The location is also very convenient, a few minutes walk to Ipanema, also considered to be safe as guarded by Police arund. I also loved the room, balcony overlooking lush green of palms, very comfortable bed, toiletries of natural ingredients, space. It is a stylish and beautiful oasis in the center of Rio.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you are looking for a perfect little getaway in Rio, look no further.
We enjoyed our stay here very much. It is like a boutique hotel. Benjamin, the French owner, is a perfect host, and understands the delicate art of being charming and polite. He is fluent in English, French and Brazilian. The owners, a gay couple, do live at the hotel's premises but not inside the casa mosquito itself. There is a night porter. The location is truly spot-on, in between the beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana at walking distance of 10 minutes. It is really close to a -now pacified- favela. You can see the community has really invested in that, and crime figures troughout Rio have gone down remarkably. I genuinly did not feel bothered by staying close to a pacified favela at al, in fact, it has a charming view on the favela. A few dogs bark at night, but only for moments. The hotel rooms are small, but very clean, and well-equipped. All private bathrooms (loved the bathroom amenities of Granado!). Our room had a really comfortable bed, bathrobes and coffee in the room, also with a little porch with seating. There is a turndown service and a LCD TV with US channels. There is a daybed with flowing white curtains for guests, overlooking beautiful scenery which is great. The house itself is immaculate. It is stylish and very tastfully decorated, with fresh flowers, dark woods, tablebooks and a rather large library -most in French tough. The breakfast is so-so, not really continental and you may order side dishes, but do not expect much from that. But as it is not included, I'd say head out for 'Market' - a nice walk of 20 mins and a true breakfast experience (try the acai!). Casa Mosquito does not have a pool, but they are building one at the moment. I guess then it really could apply for being one of the small boutique hotels of the world!.

A bit pricey, yes, but if you are looking for a boutique luxury stay, and cannot afford staying at Fasano, and want smaller scale than Marina all-suites this is it. And better situated than hotel Santa Theresa! One tip: don't do the laundry -unless you really dont care about your budget. And another one: this is not a location for people with kids nor for people who like to walk in heals or have difficulties climbing. Casa Mosquito is perched a bit uphill, and a very, very bad brick road leads up to it. A better access to the casa would be of great value to hotel and neighbourhood as well!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the casa have the view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mschijv
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My experience at Casa Mosquito was wonderful and worth it! From when I first stepped into the hotel up until my departure. Word of caution, however, this place is not for those with bad knees as, you will have to do a bit of a climb to experience Casa Mosquito. (There are a bit of stairs and the location of the hotel is on a winding hill) I however liked the location because Brazilian food is not the healthiest therefore I definitely got a much needed workout after dinners since I didn't take a cab everywhere. The place appeals to your senses and I was able to experience all but the food. The sight from the entrance, the courtyard, ground entrance, and my room were all amazing. From the entrance at the ground level you look up onto the cobble stone hill, where you are in a "real neighborhood" filled with beautiful locals. You walk up the stairs and midway there's a giant size mosquito you can't ignore facing the well placed chairs that I sat on just to enjoy the sun. You make it to the entrance there is a lovely King sized bed surrounded by a flowing curtain that I did not take advantage of but would been great for a Victoria Secret photo shoot. You walk in to classic Nina Simone, or another jazz classic and you feel like the Queen or King of Luxury with out all the fake pretense. You make it into the room and, you are blown away by the Skyline and the neighborhood even more. I did wish my room were a bit bigger; the room was slightly cramped but it didn't affect me much.
Lets go to feel-The shower was great, the pillows were so fluffy and I love that the bed had a bit of firmness to it. I think this hotel room, and the hotel itself is for couples, or someone like me who loves laid back luxury. The room was cleaned everyday, what I especially loved was there was never a knock at the door indicating it was clean up time. They simply were aware of your departure, whenever you left whether late or early, and you just came back to a cleaned room. I am not a chocolate fan, so I didn't appreciate the chocolate fudge left on the pillows everyday I would of rather liked a mint, caramel, or white chocolate but that's just me.
The staff was very professional but approachable. Every little need and question I had was met and answered promptly. The owner, Benjamin is so fly (meaning very well spoken, well dressed, very kind, so classy and friendly-I'm from NYC so that is what being "fly" means). I very much loved my stay at this boutique hotel. It is a diamond in the hay stack, a rare find in Brazil. You must allow yourself this experience as I will again return when I find my way back to RIo de Janeiro!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa Mosquito for the first two nights of our honeymoon. Casa Mosquito is perfectly located between Ipanema and Copacabana beaches. It's just a ~10 minute walk to the beach and only ~5 minutes to local restaurants, stores, etc. and the subway. It's located up a little hill in a safe neighborhood, so has outstanding views!

We stayed in the Tom Jobim room which overlooks both Ipanema, Copacabana, and Sugarloaf. We spent many hours on our balcony taking in the views. Our room as well as the communal living and dining spaces are exquisitely decorated.

Benjamin does an outstanding job managing Casa Mosquito. He's very friendly and always willing to help. Our first night we were jet lagged so we ordered dinner to our room and ate it on our balcony.

Casa Mosquito definitely has a very luxurious feel from the decorations to the service. We stayed two nights at Casa Mosquito and two nights in Santa Teresa and in retrospect I wish we would have spent all four nights at Casa Mosquito due to the accommodations and location. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple