“Love this place too much!”
Review of Lisetonga Hostel

and 1 more site!
Lisetonga Hostel
Reviewed June 13, 2013

When I started my trip I stayed in Lisetonga for 5 days, after a couple of weeks I came back to Rio and stayed another 3 weeks! All of the staff are really friendly and helpfull! I would personally like to thank the owners Liz and Juraj for giving the hostel a family feel. Also Rick was really helpfull especially when we wanted to get tickets for the Brazil England football game! Overall an amazing hostel, and if I am to return to Brazil I will definately pop in again!

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 rooms both had their possatives, bathroom facilities really accessible from all rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DanielMulvey90

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Lisetonga Hostel is a great place near Leme Beach. It’s also just a walk of about 10 minutes to get to Nossa Senhora de Copacabana (shopping) and to Copacabana Beach. You have some busses to get to the centre of Rio and to Ipanema. Just ask at the reception, they were always very friendly and ready to help. Our room, Bratislava, was really great. The beds are comfortable and sheets were provided by the staff. The view from the balcony was also amazing. It’s really worth it to book this room as you can sit there with your laptop (Wi-Fi available) or just enjoy the view. The room and bathrooms (there are 2 in the second floor) were always clean and usable, no problems with hot and cold water. Breakfast is served from 8:30 and was very satisfying. It even included a different fruit everyday, which we liked a lot. As already mentioned, the staff was great. Very friendly guys and girls, helped us to find someplace to have dinner (Pizza for 17Reais, Burgers for 4Reais), let us print our boarding cards for our flight and even offered us to stay until our flight which was at 7am and we had planned to stay the last night at the airport. We just refused because the taxi was already arriving. Lisetonga is a great place to stay in Rio, we would definitively stay there again and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fabio_PM38
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed in Lisetonga for almost 2 weeks and was very happy with my choice. It's located in Leme, not even 5 mins walk from Copacabana beach, supermarkets, shops and banks. Steep hill is a bit of a bother but I took it as an exercise. The hostel has got a great character and atmosphere and I met some great people over there. It is very tidy and clean, great kitchen and bathrooms. Staff is very helpful and friendly. It can get a bit noisy outside-locals partying, but you can wear earplugs or go out and party with them! I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank durfinka
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I came to Rio in order to do a language course and thus stayed in this hostel for a month. I guess that if there was some sketchy under the surface it should have been revealed by that time, but it didn't and I'm very happy with my stay at Lisetonga. It's a five minute walk away from Copacabana Beach, it's clean, organized, situated in a charming building with cosy tower lounge, and last, but not least; the staff is a very friendly bunch. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Joakim S
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Not exceptional but good nonetheless. Pretty clean. Despite being up a steep hill in Leme it's still only about 5 minutes from the Copacabana beach, the walk back isn't too bad either. I wouldn't describe the area as a typical favela, it's just a lively residential area (gets very loud at night in the bar/restaurant over the road). The beds weren't particularly comfortable, short and narrow so anyone 6ft plus beware and they had a plastic anti bed bug cover which made it a bit sweaty. Lockers in rooms are big enough for a whole backpack and some of the rooms have large balconies. Staff were nice but didn't speak much English, value wise it's a good shout if you want to be close to Copacabana but don't want to pay the premium.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank vonman88
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I first came to Rio and stayed at Lisetonga my first week in Brazil. It was an amazing place to get situated, explore the city, and make new friends. The staff were extremely helpful and offered advice on anything that I could think to do. The hostel is located in Leme which is away from ultra touristy Copacabana or Ipanema but your still close enough to the beach and all the places you want to be. You've got a climb a steep hill but this didn't bother me as it helped burn off the caipirinha's from the night before. The neighborhood does get a bit noisy with activity but this didn't bother me too much. Just use some earplugs. The rooms were clean and the atmosphere relaxed and cordial. I hope I get to visit Juraj, Rick, Lise and Diego again sometime in the near future. Mark M

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed May 20, 2013

1. Having stood in lots of different hostels in Rio I can assure Lisetonga is BY FAR the best one. The staff is very helpful, polite and friendly.

2. The hostel is lovely and a piece of culture itself. It is a house from the 30's that has being remodeled just in the right measure to accomodate the guests but still keeping its neoclassic design.
TIP: the showers downstairs are amazing designed, makes your bathing experience wonderful!

3. The hostel is located in a very good neighborhood: Leme. Which is just by Copacabana beach, having all conveniences nearby, good restaurants, banks, shops, supermarkets (all located on Gustavo Sampaio street) and with the advantage of being a more exclusive neighborhood than Copa itself and more quiet and safe! I saw some people complaining about the location because you have to go up on the street, but for me that only privileges the hostel with a nice view of the city!!
TIP: there is a 360° terrace on the third floor which has a great view, and it is a good place to take a nap.

4. The rooms have very good space. Compared to other hostels where everybody is literaly "packed" in the rooms.
TIP: the 4-beds room has a private balcony with amazing sea view. Booking it!

5. The hostel is kept very tidy, Angelica (the lady responsible for the cleaning) makes a good work coordinating it. The bathrooms are also kept very clean. Considering the owners, Juraj and Lisette, also live in the hostel, you have assistance 24/7. And that contributes to make your experience even more personnal. Staying at this hostel is like staying home!
TIP: all bathrooms have a small library in it, you can read a book while you "relax"

I could go on listing compliments for this hostel but it would make the review too long. I will just give it a 5 stars to sum up all I have to say about it!

Room Tip: The room Bratislava (4 beds one) has a private balcony, good to have your breakbest there while appr...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends