“palatable seafood appetizers and so-so sardines” 3 of 5 bubbles

O Caranguejo
Ranked #239 of 13,576 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian, Seafood, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Copacabana
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“palatable seafood appetizers and so-so sardines”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Agreeable little street bar-restaurant in Copacabana where we had some of the house special seafood appetizers - the stuffed caranguejo (crab meat paste stuffed into a crab shell) and sardines (a bit dry and not so fresh) and broccoli rice. Perfectly fine place for a typical, low key meal, though the ratio of what you pay for the quality you get is a bit out of proportion.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sao Paulo, SP
“Seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had seen nice comments about this place and wanted to try it out. The first time I went, I didn't like it very much. We ordered squid with vegetables as a main course. The squid was great, but not enough for the price, and the vegetables were overcooked. I went a second time and liked it more. We ordered squid again, but in a portion. It was good again, and much more affordable!

Visited July 2013
“Not that cheap, but nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I went here because the Rough Guide described it as inexpensive... But ended up paying nearly 100 reais for a main course and a couple of beers, which doesn't seem that cheap to me! So that slightly influence my view of the place. But the food was good (I has shrimp risotto), and a huge helping. Nice informal environment. So I was satisfied, just because I'd been expecting to spend less did I feel a but disappointed. It was my first meal eating out in Rio, so maybe that's a standard kind of price? I'm still getting to know the place, but my impression was that it was a bit expensive.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Excellent fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the fillet of the day with my family, the food was truly excellent, one of the best meals i have had. Waiting staff really good and attentive. Be aware that there are two addresses for this place on trip advisor, the correct one is closer to Ipanema.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My favorite Spot in Rio for Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! BEST RESTAURANT EVER!!!!!!!!!! The food is WELL worth the price!!! I had the fish, shrimp with mashed potatoes. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! The fish is marinated overnight and then char-grilled to perfection!!! On my last day there I had the 5lbs lobster. They split it down the middle and grilled it. I died and went to heaven. Also, they're bottled sparkling water is the BEST I've EVER had!!! Overall, EVERYTHING was GREAT & our waiter & his service was WONDERFUL!!! They really made us feel at home; a friendly and welcoming environment! I would DEFINITELY go back and would HIGHLY recommend anyone else to try it as well.

• Visited May 2012