“Beautiful”

Ranked #33 of 741 things to do in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My friend and I spent about an hour taking pictures and checking out all the colors on these steps. It is beautiful, and the nearby neighborhood of Santa Teresa is also nice to walk around. I think these steps should be on the top of your list is going to Rio.

2  Thank HaBeenthere
Write a ReviewReviews (7,540)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was in Rio for Carnival, Feb 2013 and saw the steps in two ways. The first time I saw them I attended a bloco (street party) that moved through the streets and stopped here. Hundreds of costumed locals stood for hours singing, drumming and dancing on the steps. One of those in the right place at the right time moments.

I went back the next day to see the steps in their true light. Tile work was interesting, colors look great in photos and lots of fun people watching.

If you take a left at the bottom of the stairs there is a street where go can stop for lunch and a beer.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Really wanted to visit this place after seeing it in Snoop Dogg's music video with Pharell. Was really impressed by the scale and the huge amount of hard work and dedication that has gone into making these stairs. The wall with tiles donated from different countries was particularly interesting. Was lucky enough to see the artist himself at work!

1  Thank Zahid K
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We could have spent hours there looking at all the different tiles. It's a really cute spot. There were loads of people there when we went, but they cleared after a while. Good photo op.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I usually go walk around the town to get a feel for it. I can usually blend in pretty good and haven't had any problems. I wanted to really see Rio which I felt was pretty safe area. I ended up walking by a street and saw these stairs from far away and went to check them out. This really should be on more travel guides becuae this is a must see in Rio. I am just glad i was walking by and saw this.

3  Thank Pixtonian