“Super Hostel”
Review of Cafe Rio Hostel

Cafe Rio Hostel
Cafe Rio Hostel
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Spent 7 days in Rio. so we wanted to make the most out of it and do as much as possible. Jacks (the owner) was very helpful in organising trips, nights out and activities for us to do. Rio. is such a big place it was helpful to know which buses to get as its not always obvious from the maps!
the room and the bathrooms were always very clean - super cleaner! and breakfast was great.
very friendly and helpful! thank you! When i come back to Rio i will stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Travelling solo, I wasn't sure what to expect from life in Rio but staying here allowed me to relax and enjoy. The owners are really friendly and will go the extra distance to make you feel at home. I mentioned that I was interested in samba and straight away Jacques called his friend and arranged for me to be able to visit her band, and on another occasion he helped me buy discount tickets for an amazing gig in Lapa.
The hostel is clean and quiet, and more importantly cool during the summer. The lockers were medium sized but I felt safe leaving some items under the bed. A good hearty breakfast each morning.
Access to the city is pretty good - a 15 min walk to the metro or 5 mins to a busy bus stop.
I expect I'll book again soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Cafe Rio has to be the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in (and I've frequented a lot of hostels!).

My fiancée and I stayed in the private double called Esspresso. It was like a 3/4 star hotel room. The bed was so comfortable! Nicely decorated. Perfectly clean. Simply perfect.

The staff and especially the owners are great people. So warm and welcoming. They offer great advice on things to do, places to visit and how to get there.

The location is great too! Close to Christ the Redeemer, great eateries, pubs and shops. Suoer safe too! A bus runs straight to coco cabana and Ipanema for just B$ 2.75 from just 100m down the road and also to Lapa.

I'll definitely stay here next time I visit Rio and would recommend it to anyone planning a trip. Simply a great hostel. Thank you.

Marcus and Laura.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This lovely hostel is near to restaurant, grocery store and Corcovado Mountain were the famous Christ the redeemer was situated. Me and my 4 friends reached this hostel from GiG airport by getting a registered taxi we paid 90-100 reals for the 5 of us one way. Finding this hostel is not easy as it doesn't have a sign board outside the house it took us a while in finding this place. We stayed in this hostel for 4 nights. Our air conditioned room with private bathroom was adequate in size, comfortable bed and pillow. Breakfast was good. The location of this hostel is in a safe area and close to public transportation- 3-5mins to reached the bus stop and Largo de Machado Metro train about 20-25 mins. walk. Internet access was very good but they don't have a designated parking area. Copacobana beach is easily reached from this hostel by taking 583 bus. Jacques and Martha are very approachable, promptly replies to any query via e-mail and helpful in person. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I chose this hostel because of its amazingly great reviews on TripAdvisor, and they were all right! It is great! It is located in a safe neighborhood, close to shops, bus stations and restaurants. It is also within walk distance to Largo do Machado (where you can take the vans to go to the Corcovado). The rooms are really nice, I stayed in a private room... I think its name was Expresso... and it was sooo beautiful!!! (you could hear the birds singing :D) I loved it soo much. Although I didn't hang out very much on the living room, it is a very nice place to stay and to talk to other guests...
Breakfast is included, and they're sooo good. They offer you two types of juice, coffee, chocolate, fresh bread, butter, jam, two types of fruit, ham, cheese, and cake (Although I didn't ask, I'm pretty sure they bake it themselves, soo jummy!!). But I think what I liked the most was the staff.... they are just great. Jacques and Felipe were specially attentive, they help you with EVERYTHING you need, give you advice on what you should do, give you directions, explain you patiently about getting to know the city, what buses to take.... they really were friendly.

So I have no doubt... if I'm going back to Rio, I will DEFINITELY stay here! <3

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Very conveniently located hostel, easily accessible by bus 133. If you catch a long distance bus (we did so from Sao Paulo) you can walk 100ms to the local bus station. bus 133 takes you to lajerinas street which dropped us in front of the hostel.

Hostel is also a 20 minute walk to the metro which is only three stops to copacabana beach.

we stayed in a dorm room we felt more like we were staying at home. There is a downstairs and upstairs lounge room, clean bathrooms although the bathroom showers on the second floor have better water pressure and temperature than the showers on the top floor. Also the kitchen is clean and large.

Breakfast is included and very tasty, with the Option to have seconds if your still hungry.

The owners are lovely and very helpful with directions and answering any questions or concerns you may have.

Definitely worth staying!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed in the hostel for 4 nights in November. It is located in a safe neighbourhood (didn't feel any threat at all, walked back to the hostel after 23 o'clock a couple of nights), some 15 minutes on foot from the metro. Rooms are nice, all have AC. Breakfast was more than enough and always served on time.The owners are more than helpful, giving tips on when and what to visit. They should only put a bigger sign on the door, otherwise no negative points from me whatsoever. Also, as to the Rio standards, it is very cheap!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo