Open today: 9:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Review Highlights
YOU WON’T REGRET IT !!!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! I whole heartedly recommend anyone to take this tour, it is organized and run... read more

Reviewed November 1, 2019
kellysD2491JW
Mississauga, Canada
via mobile
Without a doubt, the best day of our holidays in Rio!

Reviewed July 27, 2019
ismaelgm91

All reviews walking tour local guide community spirit feel unsafe great opportunity typical tourist we spent hours daily life unique experience interesting information street art excellent tour highlight of our trip org favela insight company
Selected filters
Reviewed November 1, 2019 via mobile

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
I whole heartedly recommend anyone to take this tour, it is organized and run by locals of Rocinha.

I have done +++ walking tours, and this was the most authentic, informative and fun tour I have ever done. This tour will make you feel like a local, and help you understand how the people live. You don’t feel you are “gawking” or taking advantage of the people. It was so safe and I never felt worried about my belongings, I took camera and cell phone.

This was the opposite of the typical tourist tour where you are taken to photo spots and spend most of your time in a car.

Zezinho as a guide was one of a kind!

Date of experience: November 2019
Zezinho R, Owner at Favela Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

I am so happy you enjoyed your visit! I enjoy meeting people from all over the world!

Reviewed August 18, 2019

I had booked a trip with Favela Adventures a tour to Rocinha. We confirmed everything with Zezinho Da Rocinha some days before our trip. It should start Saturday 10.08.2019 10 AM. The evening before he had written me a mail that it might be dangerous in Rocinha next day that is why he had decided not to go at all.
It was our last day in Rio then we didn`t have any choice. We wrote down to a lot of other companies which organise such a trip. Many of them wanted to take us on a trip to Rocinha.
All in all we were with another company... EXACTLY Saturday 10.08.2019 10 AM!

Date of experience: August 2019

I was sent a whatsapp message by the police. The message was that the police had planned to do an operation on the day these guests wanted a tour. When the police do these "operations", they go through the favela searching for drug dealers. When this happens, there is always the possibility of conflicts (shootings) taking place.

I have been working doing these visits in Rocinha since 2007 and I have a very good reputation as seen by the majority of the reviews. Never in the time I have been doing this have I ever had any problems. A few years back a 67 year old Spanish woman who was taking a tour with an outside tour company was shot and killed by police.

It is my responsibility at ALL TIMES to ensure the safety of my guests. If I cannot do that, then I dont operate the tours. As someone who lives in the favela, Safety is ALWAYS number 1.

What other tours do is their own business but if I feel that there is a risk, I would rather not run the tour. Its nice to earn money, but not by putting guests in potential danger. My guests safety is far more important than a few reais!

Reviewed July 27, 2019

We spent 6+ hours with Zezinho in Rocinha favela and it was worth it every minute of it (And the kilo-buffet at the end was one of the best I tried in Rio).

Zezinho does not offer the typical 'photo opportunity tourist tour'. He makes you feel part of the favela: he shared with us his knowledge about how the favela works, their rules, the respect amongst their residents and so much other interesting information that I never imagined I would want to know until he shared it with us.

He loves the favela, and the favela loves him; we had the opportunity to meet many of the locals who really appreciate the work that Zezinho do, because, the more people he can get in a tour, the more money he can spare with the locals by spending it into their businesses and contributing to their community.

I definitely recommend Zezinho to show you around the favela. If I ever return to Rio, I would do it all again! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Date of experience: July 2019

Thank you so much for the nice review! If you ever return to Rio, contact me and lets meet for a coffee.

Reviewed July 19, 2019 via mobile

Came across Zezinho’s tour through recommendations. Went for the 6 hour option and was well worth it. A tour with Zezinho is so much more than a quick trip for photo opportunities. We were able to explore how life works in the favela, having conversations with people as they happened and this led the tour. Zezinho was incredibly welcoming and I would have no reservations about doing the tour again. I was a lone traveler within a group of 5 and was made to feel very welcome. Clearly Zezinho is known in the favela with lots of people stopping to talk to him. Excellent tour

Date of experience: July 2019
Zezinho R, Owner at Favela Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I just learned within this month about the ability to respond to reviews which is why I am responding now.

Thank you for the nice review. If you ever come to Rio again, stop by to Rocinha again.

Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

A trip into a favela was one of the things I had to do whilst in Rio. After some research I found Favela Adventures which is run by Zezinho, a local guide who lives in the Favela.

The tour started at 10am and lasted approximately 6 hours. During that time we were shown all around, spoke with local people and finished off with a meal in a restaurant. Throughout the whole tour Zezinho was telling stories and sharing information about what life was actually like in a favela.

I wasn’t sure what to expect before the tour but this was everything Id hoped it would be. At no point did I feel unsafe either, don’t believe everything you read in the papers and see in the media!!!

This isn’t a cookie cutter trip into a Favela, it’s a real day in the life of a Favlea. It was an experience that ill never forget and something I definitely recommend doing. If youre thinking about doing a trip into a favela, do it!!!

Date of experience: May 2019

Thank you Nick! Im happy that you enjoyed your experience in Rocinha.