“Good food, but service is a total disaster”
Review of Banana Jack

Banana Jack
Ranked #491 of 14,003 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ipanema
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Banana Jack offers an interesting informal ambience and good burger options for those missing good portions of burgers, hot dogs and french fries. They also put up some tables outdoors sometimes (and call it Aloha Jack -- kind of a sister restaurant) with torches lit which look great. However, their service is really bad. My dish took so long to come to the table and in the end I was almost cancelling it when the waitress said that it was ready and if I cancelled it, they would have to throw it away. Then I agreed to wait 2 more minutes and it came. Luckily, other 2 friends had ordered desserts, so I wasn't eating alone. Other than that, it's a good option in Ipanema for those seeking burgers.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I dropped in for a quick meal and a few beers on my own and the place served the purpose well. Beer was cold, service was nice and efficient, they had lot of interesting clips on their TVs for lonely people like me and the menu was an extensive list of American style favourites. The ribs I had were really good.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

That is the kind of place where fast-food is more valued and better made. So, indeed, it is better than the others in this issue.

1  Thank GUSDALI
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I actually go to this bar/restaurant on a weekly basis.
They have a good variety of dishes and burgers, which usually come in big portions. I generally leave the place satisfied, after eating well and enough for a bargain ( especially considering the expensive neighborhood ).
They have awesome deals for lunch and on the evenings they will have always a theme. There are days that you can drink 2 Beers for the price of 1.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

After 11 days in Brazil, I finally came across a bar/restaurant that had a bar area you can sit at. Sounds strange as this is a very normal experience in the U.S. but most Brazilian restaurants/bars only have tables...kind of awkward when travelling solo.

Banana Jack's had decent food (I recommend the experience and drinks more than the food), a live cover band (great song selection, although not the greatest of cover bands :))...For as musically oriented Brazil is, I find it odd that not many places in Rio (outside of Lapa) have live music. Coming from Austin, TX I find this very disappointing.

I really enjoyed watching a futbol game here, listening to some Eagles/CCR/etc. tunes and speaking some English. The staff was great and even gave me a couple of complimentary beers.