“Lisa: A Walking Wikipedia Guide”
Review of Lisa Rio Tours

Lisa Rio Tours
Ranked #136 of 594 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Lisa Rio Tours is a specialist in cultural and private tours, which can be planned individually for our customers.One of our highlights are our "Historical Walking Tours" in small groups.Our main focus is providing an exceptional travel experience for our customers and a particularly close contact to land, people, culture and history.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 26, 2018

I am still not sure if I enjoyed my Lisa Rio Tour of Rio's central city and Santa Theresa, but came to appreciate it more after taking an Urban Adventures central city tour which was more fun but less informative. Lisa took us to the older European part of the city and recited detailed information about the city's history organized in a coherent manner and illustrated by the buildings and streets and monuments. But I think she may have had a late night the night before because her spiel was a little disjointed and weary. We could see her scanning her brain for the pertinent information and then it would come out in English (she is a German expat). Then she would scan her brain again and, if that topic was determined to be done, she would say, “OK!” and jump to an entirely different spiel/topic with no transition other than “OK!” Here is where we went in this order:
1 Benedictine cathedral - The angels are awesome! I will love them forever.
2 another cathedral, and another one...
4 a story about the Portuguese emperor who fled ahead of Napoleon’s invasion and needed houses for his nobles. If your house had “PR” marked on it, then you had to vacate and let a Portuguese noble occupy it indefinitely.
5 Discussion of urban slaves who cleaned streets of excrement and were striped from the acid of the urine; and others who sold things. Lisa said everyone had a slave, even freed slaves bought slaves.
6). She talked about cultural centers - such as Banco de Brazil - who uses its mandatory 3% tax money for that purpose. Sounds like that one is worth a visit.
7). Went to the famous old coffee place and had an eclair.
8). In a car, went to Santa Theresa but it was SO LAME. Maybe there’s nothing to see but the Seleron staircase. We stopped at an artist kiosk but the “artist” appeared to be mostly a con artist if any type of artist who sells trash with a little paint on it.
Then we walked uphill, I guess to prove how steep it is, but the views were not good due to clouds and haze.
Then we took the tram down, which gave us good views of Petrobras and the national cathedral inspired by a Mayan temple.

I decided on 4 stars because the tour made me want to know more -- it made me wish that I could take a tour with a college professor who specializes in Brazililan history and tells good stories. But Lisa's tour was a good introduction, even if dry at times.

Also - her original quoted price was R$80 (more than other tours) but she reduced it to R$60 after she didn't show up on the appointed day. I haven't tried them yet, but I think one of the free tours ending at a shop might be a better value.

All reviews
"tram"
in 4 reviews
"copacabana"

Reviewed June 9, 2018

I did a private 5h-walking tour in the city with an amazing guide called Dario. He knows his city very well and that was the best tour I had in my life.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
monalisa2703, Proprietário at Lisa Rio Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2018

Dear Ayaovi,
very thanks for this nice recommendation. I send this to Dario!

Reviewed May 8, 2018

Lisa was extremely accommodating on getting me into a last-minute city tour, and very flexible! I will definitely use her again!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed March 24, 2018

Lisa took me for a 4 hour walking tour of Downtown Rio. I always enjoy walking through cities and getting my exercise in, and this was a perfect way to accomplish both. Lisa was a wonderful guide. She was friendly and easy to talk to. She took me on the metro, which I really appreciated because I wanted to experience as much as possible. She explained much of the history of Brazil, with the royalty and slavery, as well as diversity. We walked through the city, and visited churches and historical buildings . My favorite part was the visit to Cafe Columbo, which was beautiful. Definitely recommended. Thank you Lisa for a very nice time.