“Fantastic experience”
Review of Restaurante Oro - MOVED

Restaurante Oro
Cuisines: Brazilian, Contemporary, South American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Jardim Botânico
Description: Chef Felipe Bronze
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Dining at Oro is a fantastic experience, since you will visit a chef who is highly creative and do his best to take advantage of Brazilian ingredients, which are incredibly rich.
Unable to be as analytic as other reviewers, I would make a remark on the “snacks”, a collection of small portions of finger food appetizers, simply divine. Food is very well cared, impeccable. Although the atmosphere is simple, china and silverware are perfect. Service is courteous and well trained, able to describe any dish.
The wine list has no bargains, neither you can say the meal is cheap. But you will leave the house very happy.

• Visited July 2013

• Hebrew first
Moscow, Russia
“No "à la carte" - menue only...”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Fusion kitchen is a particular thing - you either like it or not - but here they added another component to it, the menue concept. You tell them how many courses you want, and which food you will not eat... Then they compile a multi course menue... Wine selection is small, but exclusive - half bottles available for lonely expats ;)

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Simply Incredible”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The girlfriend decided she wanted to try molecular gastronomy; she chose Oro as her restaurant of choice. I am glad she did.

Taxi ride from Copacabana cost us $R20 on the way there and $R25 on the way back. Factor in about 20 minutes for a cab ride.

SERVICE - As we made 19:30 reservations, we were the first people in the restaurant. We were greeted in decent English, and seated immediately. I can say that the service was impeccable throughout the meal. I could use a little more room between the tables, but all-in-all, top notch. The staff is well trained and they will cater to English speaking people. The course timing was impeccable, and meal descriptions were well done.

ATMOSTPHERE / PRESENTATION – Atmosphere is quite nice. The setting and restaurant is well displayed. Cutlery and dishes are excellent, and fit the meals. Overall presentation of each course is incredible. The total experience is well thought out. The one surprise was the casual nature of some of the patrons. I was not dressed incredibly fancy, but there were some girls in tanks, people with jeans and shirts not tucked in etc… Maybe it is a Rio thing. I cannot say.

FOOD – The food was amazing. We decided to have the 7 course tasting menu without restriction. Here is a course by course and an out of 5 ranking of each dish.

Snack/Profiteroles – The profiteroles were well done. I could have used a slightly tangier cheese,
but a decent start to the meal. 4/5

Snack/Tempura de ovo de codorna – These were rather bland. I really could have used more flavor for this one. 2/5

Snack/Pururuca de porquinho de leite – The vinaigrette that accompanied this pork belly was amazing. This was a dish I would order over and over again. One of the best pork bellies I have ever had. 5/5

Acai, banana e tapioca – With a salty acai, and the tapioca actually being frozen foie gras, this was a very unique dish. My girlfriend did not like it, but I did. The taste was interesting, but not something I would call memorable, but to me the texture was the star of the show. It had crunch, but was still smooth. The temperatures were great. 3.5/5

Caprese quente/fria – A dehydrated tomato and some cheese, with a hot tomato broth and some brazil nuts and a veg smear. I thought this was good. The broth was a touch salty when not balanced by the cheese, but a solid dish. The cheese could be easier to incorporate, possibly something creamier. 4/5

Lagostins e Cenouras – I am not a lobster fan, I was a fan of this. The lobster was done perfectly; the topping had a nice taste as well as the plate smear/sauce. 5/5

Tartare de mignon com “gema” de parmesao – Hands down the best tartare I have eaten in my life. This has arguments for being one of the best dishes I have ever eaten in my life. Potato chips were incredible, actual tartare was on-point, the parmesan egg was amazing. Everything about this was sheer perfection. Even the original presentation with a BBQ aromatic was a nice touch. 5/5

Pork Dish – I do not know the name of this dish, so I will call it the pork dish. I found this dish excellent. The pork was done very well, very tender and moist. The sauce was complimentary, with the accompanied nuts being a nice touch. The Brazilian polenta was amazing. It was like eating cream corn in polenta form. 5/5

Dessert – One of the best desserts plates I have eaten and it is massive. You could go to this restaurant just for this and not leave unsatisfied. It is that good. 5/5

In total the meal cost us about $US 275 without wine and was executed in a little over 1.5 hours. If you have the money, go to this restaurant. If you have a special occasion, go to this restaurant. If you have an excuse, go to this restaurant. You will not regret it.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank tcbmind
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
“Molecular cuisine meets local Brazilian ingredients!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nice experience all the way and will be on my top list when somebody wants to get a spetacular and unique food experience in Rio. I'm a vegetarian but it didn't cause me any problem at all. I explained the waiter and he said that usually the dishes are prepared accordingly the client's preference, in my case vegetarian and it would be a surprise. You don't choose what you're gonna eat. Which makes it very exciting! We enjoyed all our dishes and the whole presentation and preparation is very fun!
Let them surprise you with the surprising course, you won't regret it!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Katrin L
“Oro is gold.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Not all that shines is gold - that's what they say. I went invited and was - like many of the reviews here - blown away. I've tried molecular cooking in places like Noma, Subrack, other restaurants and food shows. But never like this - with a lot of thought, reflection and precision behind it.

Baby ribs, boteco food in small bombs, brazilian fruits in disguises, pure açai, food cooked on the table in front of you.

And the Argentinian sommelière is just gorgeous and very cunning at her job.

Do not go with high expectations, but go with an open mind and a curious pallet.

Parabéns Felipe!