“A good but rather simple hotel, in a neighbourhood that is not very fancy but very lively.”
Review of Scorial Rio Hotel

Scorial Rio Hotel
Ranked #71 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Rather small room, a bit old fashioned. The staff combined twin beds into one big and comfortable bed for me.
Internet is not included and costs 15 R per 24 hours.
Breakfast is fine.
The swimming pool on the top floor is small but pleasant.
The location is good; not a fancy area but the Largo do Machado at 50 m is very lively, with many restaurants and shops and a supermarket. The metro stop to Ipanema etc. is there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank vangrieken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My brother picked this hotel for me for it´s location, price and availability. I was happy with the choice. The breakfast is very good, specially for those who love fruits, every morning there were about 7 different available, as well as juices, breads and the regular eggs, bacon, sausage, etc, a feast. I didn´t have any other food but the breakfast. The concierge attention was great, very educated, discrete and ready to help. The rooms were just ok, very simple decoration, clean, air condition working perfectly, and my room was very silent. Hotel location is not in the best neighborhood in RIo, but it´s very close to the subway station and to aterro do flamengo beach, also a few blocks walking to other restaurant options. It´s not a budget hotel, so I believe with time one can find cheaper, but now Rio is so expensive that it becomes an option, but don´t compare price/quality with US standards.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Efrago
santos
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is very well located near a metro station and Flamengo's beach.It's a simple and nice hotel , very good breakfast and really friendly staff.We've been there this last Carnaval and despite the crowd we had a excellent stay. I know Rio sometimes is confound with Ipanema and Copa but I think Flamengo is a very nice spot,too.It is a more "real" way to get to know the people who lives there.It is really easy to get to Ipanema and Copa even by bus or cab.Rio is a spetacular city.I know it's kind of biased opinion since I'm a brazilian but t'is true.We felt safe walking around Rio.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank drix08
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed in Scorial Rio hotel on our last night in Rio mainly because everything else was fully booked. The location is pretty good but for the money there are other better places around the area. We were also put in a Smoking level and the room smelled of smoke even though none of us do smoke. Breakfast was ok and staff were friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pedro C
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in this hotel with my wife. It has an almost perfect location. Located 50m from a subway station which gives easy access to Ipanema and Copacabana beaches (15 min), Downtown (5 min), the Sugarloaf (10 min to Botafogo station plus 15 or so by Express Bus) and Corcovado (bus at the station's square). There are many options to eat and drink nearby. The arab/lebanese snacks at 'Galeria Condor' and juices and sandwichs at Rufo's being your best options. By day, the neighbourhood is bustling with locals going by their daily lives. At night, it might seem a little bit dodgy because of the beggars and homeless that wander around but, as far as I know, they're harmless. The taxi run from the hotel to the International Airport was R$ 45. It may vary depending on how is the traffic.

On the installations. The room is very simple in decoration, but has enough space and the bed was comfy, not hard but also not overly soft. But I've seen better 3-star rated bedrooms. The double windows noise insulation is also pretty good. We stayed on the 1st floor in a room right in front of the street and we didn't have any sleep problems at all. Actually, we had problems waking up! Shower was great, had good water pressure and the temperature was easily adjustable from scalding hot to cold. The air conditioning is a central AC and you cannot adjust it according to your preferences. That is not really a problem IMO. The gym could be useful if it were working properly. The weight machine was broken and I could only use the threadmills and smalls dumbbells. The pool on the last floor was clean.

On the services. Wi-fi signal was bad to non existent inside my room but good enough at the floor corridor. Breakfast had good assortment of fresh juices and fruits and all the stuff you usually see like salsage, eggs, waffles, toasts, bread, cheese, ham etc. Pretty good actually. Since I'm brazilian, I don't know if the staff speaks english or another language. I also didn't ask any guidance or recommendations from them, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, I think this hotel has good value for money. Considering that Rio is probably the most overpriced city of Brazil. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bernardo_Lima
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The room was simple and basic. The bed was comfortable. Our floor was quiet. It was fine but no better than that. The neighborhood is awful though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank deniseandy
Adjuntas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was our first visit to Rio and because we were not interested in Beaches we choose this hotel since it was affordable, in a safe area and close to a metro. I would say that it was great to stay in this part of the town since we were able to experience the everyday of the locals. There are not many attractions around but it was nice to go to the little square next to the metro and just sit there and see the people playing cards, doing exercises etc. There were also a couple of places to grab something to eat but my favorite was the juice bars, (no matter which one), I visited several in this area and were great as well as the snacks that they offer. We also went to a service to the Catholic Church in front of the square on Sunday, and it was a great experience.

When we went to the Copacabana area most of the people were tourist so the environment is really different, therefore I was glad I stayed at the Flamengo area.
Regarding the hotel, I will say is a good 3 stars hotel. The breakfast was good, there was plenty of hot water for a great shower and the bathtub was huge. One thing that I noticed is that trying to communicate with the staff was a little difficult, I tried English and Spanish and a couple of words in Portuguese, but Spanish was definitively the way I was able to communicate.
Also, the Bus that takes you directly to the Corcovado stops next to the Largo do Machado metro which is the one close to the hotel. It is only 2.50 Reais and leaves you in front of the train that takes you to corcovado, just confirm with the driver that he is going there and you want to get off at that point (its a good idea to learn how to say those things in Portuguese!). We also took taxis from the hotel, just go outside and many will stop. The ride from and to Galeao was 50-55 Reais.

Room Tip: Get a room far from the elevators.