“A labor of love”

Rios de Historia Tour Historico
Ranked #66 of 515 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rios de Historia seeks to provide tours with a different dynamic. Our passion is Rio de Janeiro and we present its history in a fun and informal way. Our downtown tour is a delightful trip to the past where every corner is surprising and we run into buildings and streets with French and Portuguese architectural influences. Capital of the Colony, of the Brazilian Empire and of the Republic, Rio de Janeiro staged several remarkable facts from the Brazilian history. Come with us and find out another side of the Wonderful City.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

It's clear that Raul, co-owner (with his wife, whom I didn't meet) of this company, is doing what he loves: sharing the history of his beautiful city with others. He clearly cares both that his clients have a rich, educational experience and that they have nothing but good things to say about Rios de Historia.

Alas, our first tour, of the city center, was not so good. Perhaps our guide was having a bad day. Perhaps her English skills weren't quite there. I contacted Raul, explained to him the problems, and he responded quickly and professionally. He made time in his packed schedule to give my wife and me a private tour, taking us to Santa Marta, where we met a lovely woman who lives in the community and who showed us around. I don't doubt that my first, poor experience with Rios de Historia was an aberration and that, for those who seek more than a superficial tour of major sites, this is the company to contact.

1  Thank Traveler1983_13
tour_riosdehistoria, Proprietário at Rios de Historia Tour Historico, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

We really are doing what we love here at Rios de Historia. We apologise for your first encounter with us and we are sure that this was just a small hiccup in our usual service ! We are glad to hear the problems were sorted out fast and we hope to see you again one day in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Everybody knows Rio right ? Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf mountain, Copacabana/ Ipanema beaches (maybe the Maracana if you are a football fan).

However one of the highlights of my recent trip to Rio was the 2 hour walking tour through the historical centre of Rio - which turned out to be over 3 hours of great information and architecture.

Our guide spoke flawless english, showed us a great variety of the famous /archtecturally outstanding buildings in the city, and was able to "roll with the punches" - when buildings should have been open to the public, but weren't.

A thoroughly entertaining saturday morning - that i would recommend to anybody

2  Thank stoufferthedog

Thanks for your review- we really appreciate it and we are glad you were able to experience the side of Rio many tourists do not see.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The downtown walking tour is a great way to explore Rio with it's churches, palaces and shopping streets. My tour guide was Polyanna who is a great person with an excellent knowledge. If you have special interested just let her know and she will get you to those places you want to see.

2  Thank dax_ba

Thank you for leaving your kind review and we are happy we were of good service to you!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am from North Carolina and I was in Rio for ten days studying abroad. As part of the program we toured the Municipal theatre, the national museum, Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and many more attractions. We had GREAT tour guides who not only spoke good english but were very educational about the attractions, and history of the city and yet very entertaining. Our tour guides Raul& Krauss made my experience a lot of fun, exciting, yet still very informative. I learned a lot on each tour and not to mention they did a good job translating as well. They made the tours far from dry and made sure transportation arrived on time and got us back to our hotel promptly and safely every time. My trip was amazing thanks to Rios de Historia so I would definitely suggest this company, you will definitely have an incredible, educational, yet fun time in Rio and I will definitely return to Rio one day again in the future.

We are glad we added to your experience here in Rio. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again if you return to Brazil in the future.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you are looking for a guide to Rio that far surpasses a simple repetition of facts one can easily find in any Rio tour book, RIos de Historia is the company to turn to. I have personally taken the Rio downtown tour 3 times. Each tour was comprehensive and balanced, complete with many facts and anectodes that uncover the rich history of Rio de Janeiro. Thanks to the professionals at Rios de Historia, my Brazilian friends are amazed at the knowledge of their City I now possess. Most important, I can confidently say that I now have a much deeper knowledge of the City. I can't wait to return to Rio and do it all again!

Thank you for your review and we are pleased to hear you learnt so much on your tours you have taken with us ! We are excited to see you again in the future for another tour of the city !