“Want a real life Rio tour this is it!”
Review of Urban Adventures

and up
Favela Tour Experience and Meeting Locals from the Community
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Rio de Janeiro Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Rio de Janeiro. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Rio de Janeiro. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Cornelius, North Carolina
405 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“Want a real life Rio tour this is it!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Great cultural experience, great way to see an amazing amount of Rio in one day. From the Saint Marta favela to the top and Christ Redeemer statue, including City Center, subway and bus transit. Things you should not try on your own; are accomplished by their experienced tour guide, Alexander (super job by the way Alex)! The tour even included an enjoyable lunch of local Brazilian fare.
I would not hesitate booking with them again.

2 Thank george60898
Rio-Urban, Owner at Urban Adventures, responded to this review, December 1, 2014
Local experience, Local Knowledge, Local guide. We are happy you could have them all in one day. Thumbs up to our passionate guide Alex! Thank you for sharing your comments here. See you again in another Urban Adventures tour around the world! ;)

Alexandria, Virginia
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 348 helpful votes
“Muito Obrigada”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My short (and first) visit to Rio de Janeiro was much enriched by this tour. I visited Favela Santa Marta (a.k.a. Favela Dona Marta) with an Intrepid Tour group and a local guide from Rio de Janeiro Urban Adventures. At the favela, we were met by two Favela Santa Marta guides, Victor and Andrea. Having them share their experience and insight into favela living (one of them is a fifth-generation favela resident) made the tour more meaningful. I saw other (presumably) tourists walking around by themselves, and I knew I was getting a richer experience with Victor and Andrea. They were patient with our questions. We stopped for a break at the bar near the Michael Jackson statue and while some of our group joined the locals in having a beer (or two), others browsed for some souvenirs nearby. The tour lasted over two hours. While it was a hot and sunny day and the tour involved many steps and uneven ground, it was not overwhelmingly exhausting. I highly recommend a visit to Favela Santa Marta. Muito obrigada to Victor, Andrea, and Luis.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank CCC_wanderlust
Thanks a lot for your kind words! We value every comment we get and yours really made us proud. We hope you enjoy your next Urban Adventures tour wherever you travel around the world. ;)
San Jose, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Christ Statue and Favela Tour”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I took the Christ Statue and Favela (walking tour) with Alexander in January 2014. Although we walked a lot, and Rio is hot in January, we had a great time. Alexander is a very good tour guide, and although the Christ statue and the view from Corcovado is not to be missed, the tour of the Santa Marta favela was probably the most interesting part of the journey. Even though we were hesitant to visit a favela, it was a very worthwhile trip - very interesting and a great way to learn about the people of Rio. I would recommend both Alexander and Urban Adventures without hesitation. We even saw our Santa Marta guide, an amazing women who only spoke a little bit of English and served as the tour guide for Joe Biden when he visited the same favela, on local television the next day talking about Santa Marta.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Timothy A
Thank you very much for your visit and feedback here. We value all the reviews and we are glad to know you had a great experience in Rio with Urban Adventures. We hope seeing you again in another Urban Adventures tour around the world. Happy travels!! ;)
Palm Springs, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Flavella Tour in Rio....”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This review is somewhat late but I figure, better late than never! I was in Rio for 4 days following a trans-atlantic cruise from Barcelona to Rio! While the weather held out 50/50, one of the things I and my traveling companion did while in Rio was to take Urban Aventure's tour of one of the many flavellas around Rio. I have to tell you that not only was this tour informative, it was also full of heartfelt welcomes from the people we met in the flavella. Being from the USA, we tend to take for granted our wonderful lifestyle. Upon seeing and meeting these people we met while touring the flavella, you would think they had the world! Or at least it appears! They were happy, smiling, proud people and welcomed us into their neighborhood without question! They seemed to be happy with what they had rather than asking for money or other possessions! We felt extremely at home with these people! The small children in day care we visited were just smiling and laughing! The day care would bathe, feed, nap, and teach the children while their parent(s) did what they did daily to support their families!

Our tour guide, Luis, was also very amazing. (I recommend you ask for Luis if you ever go to Rio. I believe Urban Adventures offers other tours besides the flavella.) In fact, the tour we took, had Luis showing us thru the flavella then on to Corcavado! Luis is knowledgeable, personable, and very involved with the Rio de Janierian people he represents. They seem to like him and treat him very good. Just as we were treated! If I were to go back, I would take the flavella tour again and feel like I was going home!

VERY WORTH THE COST!!!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Dan J
Rio-Urban, Owner at Urban Adventures, responded to this review, December 2, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback! We really appreciate all of them. Thumbs up to the local and passionate Urban Adventures guide, Luiz! Happy travels and holidays... ;)
Athens, Greece
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Santa Marta Favela”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Very interesting tour. High professional staff with excellent command of English language! Highly recommended! Luiz is a passionate guide.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Zephyros_ath
Thanks a lot for your time sharing your experience! Thank you Luiz for being a great local and passionate guide! We hope seeing you around in another Urban Adventures tour around the world. ;)