“Great full day tour of Rio with Luiz”
Review of Urban Adventures

Favela Tour Experience and Meeting Locals from the Community
Ranked #1 of 129 Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Rio de Janeiro Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Rio de Janeiro. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Rio de Janeiro. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked a full day tour with Luiz on December 27, 2012. We met at Copacabana beach, stopped for an Acai smoothy then launched off via subway for a walking tour of downtown. We then took a bus up to the Santa Theresa neighborhood for more walking and then a snack at a local cafe. We then proceeded to the famous tile stairs and even met the artist who did the work. In the afternoon we picked up another couple (now 4 people plus Luiz in the tour). Luiz drove us to the Christ statue and a close by overlook of Rio. We then drove to the Santa Marta favela where Luiz gave us a guided tour. We were safe the entire time and never felt any threats even carrying a nice camera. Luiz returned us to our respective hotels. I can't say enough good things about Luiz's professionalism. He speaks perfect English and knows a great deal of Rio's history. I highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank DC_Gale
Rio-Urban, Manager at Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear customer, we are glad about your review and also happy you could meet the artist. Unfortunately he is no longer among us and those who could experience meeting him were very fortunate. Luiz is one of our great guides in our team and we are very proud to have them all on our daily journeys. We hope seeing you again in another Urban Adventure around the world. Wherever you next trip might take you...............happy travels! ;)

All reviews
"combo tour"
in 7 reviews
"small group"
in 15 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 13 reviews
in 5 reviews
"awesome guide"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is my first ever review and I am delighted to recommend Luiz and Urban Adventures :)
What a fantastic way to to experience authentic Rio!! Luiz is a wonderful guide full of knowledge that he is only to happy to share in his unique down to earth manner. We did 2 tours on 2 separate days and to be honest the tours were the highlight of our time spent in Rio. Day 1 was the Corcovado, Favela and Sugar Loaf tour and day 2 was the Santa Teresa walking tour. Both were absolutely outstanding and great value for money. All I can say is book a tour with Luiz, it'll be the best money you'll spend in Rio!!!! A BIG thank-you to Luiz for a fabulous time in Rio!!

1  Thank Kylie O

Thank you very much for your kind review! Our big picture: small group tours, local experiences, fair prices. We are glad you and many others have found Urban Adventures' tours a great value for their money. Happy travels! ;)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was on a business trip and had a limited amount of time to see the sights and get a flavour of Rio. I had booked a small group walking tour of Santa Teresa in the morning with Luiz from urban adventiures. As it turned out, the small group consisted of me. It was an excellent way to see the area. Luiz was knowlegeable and informative and he was able to provide me with a much greater understanding of the area than if I had done it on my own. We visted a great little cafe (the chocolate brownie with chilli sauce was to die for) and a great little souvenier shop with everything made locally. The Santa Teresa steps are really something, the artist is almost Rio's answer to Gaudi!
I wanted to go on a favela tour but the only ones that I could find were in the mornings. As it turned out, Luiz was taking a Czech couple to Corcovado mountain and the Santa Marta Favela in the afternoon. I joined them but as I had been to the statue the previous day, I walked around the Tijana forest whilst they made their visit. We then went on to the favela. Although you can go to the favelas on your own I think that this is the more acceptable way to do it. Once again, Luiz was a great guide and I felt that I had gained a much greater understanding of the history and development of the favela and the issues that they now face with the Olympics and World Cup on the horizon. We met some of the inhabitants, had a drink in a little bar, visited a community music centre and a little souvenier shop. It was really good to visit a favela with somebody who knows the locals. It wasn't dangerous at all but with Luiz it felt less intrusive and I didn't feel liks a voyeur. I would have no reservation in recommending Urban Adventures small group tours. Many thanks to Luiz for making my visit so enjoyable.

1  Thank dinerBirmingham

We are very happy to receive this review! Our goal is to enrich people's lives and the Favela Tour Experience is such a great tour that shows the reality of local people who carry this city onwards. Wherever your next trip might take you.....................happy travels! ;)

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I highly recommend walking tours with Luiz in Rio, esp. the Santa Teresa walking tour.
Very informative, friendly and professional walk. I will be calling him again when I return to Rio!
David W.

Thank you for your kind comments! We hope to see you soon. Happy travels! ;)

See more reviews
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I hadn't seen the other reviews of Urban Adventures' tours before going on the Corcovado/Favela tour but have to say I completely agree with all the other comments. Luiz was extremely friendly and professional, both in the emails I received from him before the tour and during the tour itself. We were lucky enough to have a private tour as it was our last day in Rio so we couldn't join the group tour in the afternoon. It was a boiling hot day but my friend and I were saved from melting in the queue for a bus to get up Corcovado as Luiz knew all the staff so we were able to jump the queue! Once up there, the views are amazing as you would expect (on a clear day at least).
The real highlight though, was being able to see the other side of Rio in the Santa Marta favela and to dispel some of the myths about how dangerous Rio is. The locals in the community all seemed to know and respect Luiz and I felt very comfortable there. I came away with a much better understanding of the way of life of the favelas, what the city and government is doing to try to improve things for the people living there and why they don't all necessarily think it's for the better. I would not hesitate in recommending Luiz and his tours to anyone who wants to see more than the usual tourist hot spots.

1  Thank ClaireS_UK_12
Rio-Urban, Manager at Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your review! We are glad that you could really learn, see and experience both sides of Rio. Our local guides are focussed on providing real life experiences and we always like to see that it has been acomplished! Happy travels! ;)