“The most wonderful friend you will meet in Rio!!! A must”

Rafael Torres Lopes Tour Guide
Ranked #4 of 453 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“The most wonderful friend you will meet in Rio!!! A must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I never got around to writing a review online for the fantastic day in Rio my family and I had with Rafa a few years ago. That day really was the best day we had in our three week holiday in South America and it changed the way we saw Rio! Rio is now, still one of my favourite spots in the world and I am heading back later this year. I have already booked a further 2 days with Rafa!

Rafa's knowledge of Rio is outstanding. His humor and enthusiasm is wonderful and his english is perfect.

His emails are full of information and suggestions. He will happily tailor the itinerary to your needs.

We met locals, got to see some unique spots we would have never seen otherwise. Niteroi was a highlight.. I would recommend including this into your tour! And for anyone who loves markets, shopping, food - ask Rafa to take you to Feira de São Cristóvão... we loved it! Hardly anyone speaks a word of english so having Rafa was essential... the food was beautiful and shopping for a few souvenirs was fun. We also visted the wetlands and got to have a ride in a small boat around the area... Loved this and was great to see how the locals lived. Rafa can also take you to the usual tourist attractions too... but its even more special when you see the "real" Rio!

Booking a day with Rafa is a must! Worth every penny... you just couldnt get these experiences with public transport and tour buses packed with people. Really nice to have that personal experience and have a friend in Rio. You wont regret it.

Check out his blog too.. loads of photos etc of places Rafa has been to.

Thanks Rafa! Looking forward to visiting you again soon. Will be sure to get a new review up quicker next time :)

Visited May 2012

Rome, Italy
“Rafa the best guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Me and my wife were in Rio and we had just one day to see everything..
Rafa was the best solution for us! We had such a great time with him.. even if the weather wasn't great that day we visited everything we wanted to see (Santa Teresa, Christ, Corcovado, Maracana..) and so much more! he guided us to visit Niteroi and it's worderfull park/view and beaches.. Rafa was so prepared and he did answer at all of the questions i asked him about the city and Brazil society in general (i'm very courious)!
If i could go back in Rio I should for sure call again Rafa!

Visited April 2013
Huanchaco, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rio' secrets with Rafa and the lovely Marcone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I work for a British travel agency and I always use Rafa for my group tours when in Rio. He is enthusiastic, passionate and knowledgeable about not just Rio but the whole of Brazil and he always makes sure that my groups get to see the highlights of Rio as well as his personal favourite places which helps everyone get a better feel for what Rio is really like for a Carioca.

So that I could get to know more of what he offers he took me on a trip across the bay to Niteroi which is a part of the Rio bay area that is often overlooked by tourists. Rio's sister city certainly has its own pace of life and offers stunning panoramic views of Rio itself. Rafa loves this place and will certainly get you the best views and photos as well as taking you for a delicious meal if you choose to go to Niteroi as part of your trip. He can even arrange for you to go paragliding from his personal favourite spot! I enjoyed this part of the trip so much that I organised for it to be included in my following group tour and it, like Rafa, was a huge hit.

I have also had the pleasure of working with Marcone who Rafa sent when he wasn’t available himself. Sweet, patient and helpful with my older passengers as well knowledgeable and funny he gave us an excellent tour which included a visit to the Complexo do Alemao favela and Marapendi wetlands.

Whatever you do and wherever you go with Rafa or Marcone you will always have a fantastic time and I highly recommend them!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank katemackstill
Dublin, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rafa is the best guide we have had throughout our world travels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I visited Rio in March on a cruise. We always book our own guides when we are traveling. I found Rafa on Trip Advisor and as soon as I contacted him, I knew he was going to be great! And he did not disappoint. We toured Rio and the surrounding area with him for two days and got to see some of the undiscovered spots that most people never get to see.

Rio is a very special place but Rafa made it much more special. We are so happy that we had the opportunity to have such a great, fun and entertaining guide and to have made a good friend in Brazil.

Visited March 2013
Mountain View, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just like hanging out with an old friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I didn't want to waste time in Rio so I booked a tour with Rafa that started about 2 hours after my plane landed. Rafa picked me up at my rented apartment and off we went. He is very knowledgeable about the city and architecture and was able to explain all of the surroundings to me in great detail. We visited all the places I wanted to see in Rio but what I really wanted to see were all the secret spots that only locals knew about so that is mainly what we did. We visited many spots with awesome panoramic views, some favelas and everything in between. Rafa truly has a passion for this work and is just a fun guy to be around. We also had a great lunch at a neighborhood restaurant that I doubt many tourists get to see. I also felt very safe in Rio and even after the tour was over I would walk by myself anywhere I felt like going. The next time I am in Rio I will give Rafa a call.

Visited May 2012