“Rio' secrets with Rafa and the lovely Marcone”

Rafael Torres Lopes Tour Guide
Ranked #4 of 465 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
Huanchaco, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rio' secrets with Rafa and the lovely Marcone”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I work for a British travel agency and I always use Rafa for my group tours when in Rio. He is enthusiastic, passionate and knowledgeable about not just Rio but the whole of Brazil and he always makes sure that my groups get to see the highlights of Rio as well as his personal favourite places which helps everyone get a better feel for what Rio is really like for a Carioca.

So that I could get to know more of what he offers he took me on a trip across the bay to Niteroi which is a part of the Rio bay area that is often overlooked by tourists. Rio's sister city certainly has its own pace of life and offers stunning panoramic views of Rio itself. Rafa loves this place and will certainly get you the best views and photos as well as taking you for a delicious meal if you choose to go to Niteroi as part of your trip. He can even arrange for you to go paragliding from his personal favourite spot! I enjoyed this part of the trip so much that I organised for it to be included in my following group tour and it, like Rafa, was a huge hit.

I have also had the pleasure of working with Marcone who Rafa sent when he wasn’t available himself. Sweet, patient and helpful with my older passengers as well knowledgeable and funny he gave us an excellent tour which included a visit to the Complexo do Alemao favela and Marapendi wetlands.

Whatever you do and wherever you go with Rafa or Marcone you will always have a fantastic time and I highly recommend them!

1 Thank katemackstill

Dublin, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rafa is the best guide we have had throughout our world travels”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I visited Rio in March on a cruise. We always book our own guides when we are traveling. I found Rafa on Trip Advisor and as soon as I contacted him, I knew he was going to be great! And he did not disappoint. We toured Rio and the surrounding area with him for two days and got to see some of the undiscovered spots that most people never get to see.

Rio is a very special place but Rafa made it much more special. We are so happy that we had the opportunity to have such a great, fun and entertaining guide and to have made a good friend in Brazil.

Mountain View, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just like hanging out with an old friend”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I didn't want to waste time in Rio so I booked a tour with Rafa that started about 2 hours after my plane landed. Rafa picked me up at my rented apartment and off we went. He is very knowledgeable about the city and architecture and was able to explain all of the surroundings to me in great detail. We visited all the places I wanted to see in Rio but what I really wanted to see were all the secret spots that only locals knew about so that is mainly what we did. We visited many spots with awesome panoramic views, some favelas and everything in between. Rafa truly has a passion for this work and is just a fun guy to be around. We also had a great lunch at a neighborhood restaurant that I doubt many tourists get to see. I also felt very safe in Rio and even after the tour was over I would walk by myself anywhere I felt like going. The next time I am in Rio I will give Rafa a call.

Visited May 2012
Broadbeach, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a great guy”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Rafa is a fantastic guy, and went above and beyond what i would have expected from a tour guide, not only was he Knowledgeable about the random questions i would have about the place, he arranged for me to go out at night, sent follow up emails and photo's and i feel like i've also made a friend, well worth the time and price to spend the day with him, he's a really great guy.

Brasilia, DF
“Rafa knows Rio”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I had a super fun day with Rafa. I'm not really into tours groups, but spending the day with Rafa was more like spending the day with a long lost friend. He knew a lot about Rio and the places we went, and more importantly listened to what we were interested in seeing/doing. We had a lot of laughs and Rafa's energy and enthusiasm for Rio was contagious. Highly recommend!