“An OK Tour”

83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 285 helpful votes
“An OK Tour”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I took an all-day tour with Rafa during our honeymoon, and it was ok. While setting up the tour, I found Rafa to be responsive and quick with his replies, and I was really excited to take this tour with him. He had such a positive and happy energy that comes through his emails, and I really appreciated that.

Unfortunately, we never really felt like we clicked with Rafa during our tour. My intuition is that he had a lot on his mind that day, and perhaps he was not as engaging with us as he normally is with other tours. I understand that these things happen, but we were hoping to learn more about Rio than we did. Rafa took us to a lot of viewpoints - he is incredibly skilled with a camera, and took some great pictures of us. We were just a bit bored after being in the car all day. I believe we drove to at least four different viewpoints, and we were hoping to see and learn more about the city. Once again, perhaps this was my fault for not communicating our tour desires more clearly, but we also were never asked what we wanted to see or do. We just felt like we kept asking questions about Rio, and it was difficult to get a conversation started.

On the plus side, Rafa helped us find a traditional and tasty Brazilian breakfast, and also took us on a boat ride to a restaurant that served the best garlic shrimp I have ever had.

Based on my reading of the other reviews and Rafa's emails, I really feel like he is a spirited, happy person who provides exemplary tours 99.9% of the time. Unfortunately, we just had an "off" day with him. I really do wish him the best though - he is a lovely person.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank B.G._Chicago

Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“One of the best guides we have ever had”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our cruise was scheduled to go out of Rio in Jan 2013. We went a couple of days early so we could see Rio. I went on TripAdvisor and liked the reviews for Rafa. I contacted him by email and he immediately responded with a lot of good detailed info which was very helpful to us. I explained that my husband was in his late 70s and could not do a lot of walking and Rafa immediately responded that he would take that into consideration with our touring.

Rafa was most accommodating and always had a Plan B & C ready for us. We didn't want to wait on line to go up to see The Christ, so he took us to another spot to view and we got some fantastic photo.

He also took us to areas that many tourist don't get to see because they tour in buses. And my oh my, the restaurant he choose for lunch was fantastic. A truly local Brazilian restaurant with the best buffet of Brazilian foods.

Rafa was very knowledgeable about Rio and told good stories which held our interest. He is a very nice person and full of life. We only had one day to tour and Rafa made sure we saw all the important places.

Thanks, Rafa, for a wonderful day and showing us your city.

Visited January 2013
Oakton, Virginia
“Fantastci time with Rafa”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A group of 8 of us used Rafa for a two day tour in RIO last November. It was nothing short of fantastic. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and we could not see The Christ, altough we went all the way up there, nor could we see much of Sugar Loaf. But Rafa did a wonderful job taking us to other sites and places we would never have found on our own, we had two wonderful lunches and his recommendation for a restaurant for dinner near our hotel was wonderful. He nade the touring fun, interesting in spite of the weather and we would highly recommend him. He was very patient with our slow moving group,and one of the ladies needing to use a wheelchair. He made us feel so welcome in RIO, he wasn't just a guide, he is now a friend.

Visited November 2012
Pocatello, Idaho
“Had a doggone good time”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Just spent a week in rio with my daughter. I would have to say the highlight of our trip were the days we toured with Rafa and Marcone. I got to watch my daughter paraglide through the air like a eagle over the beautiful city of Niteroi. Saw the colorful historic city of Santa Tereza. Had beer and sausage at Mike's Haus with the owner -loads of fun! Then off to the Christ statue a must see. My favorite beach is Itacoatiara-I'm still thinking about it. We also went to many other places we could never found on our own. we had so much fun together we laughed so hard at times we cried. I am so happy I have two new friends in Brazil. I hope to see them here in Idaho. oxoxoxo

Visited January 2013
NYC
“Great Personal Tour with Rafa”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent a special day with Rafa and three friends. He treated us to the spots we wanted to see as well as some truly unique spots that were off the beaten path and offered a taste of the real Rio. He was warm, welcoming and entertaining. What more could you want!

Visited December 2012