I just read another review by hardii and many of his/her comments spot-on.
We chose to stay at this location because we arrived a late afternoon at Santos Dumont and next morning had to drive to the city of Juiz de Fora. A few days later we stayed at an inn in Ipanema for the actual visit to Rio.
We were together with our 8-year old daughter who also had a very positive view of the hotel - though she ended up not having time to enjoy the kids corner that was recommended to us by the very friendly staff.
There was a small problem right at the start, which was that soaps were missing from the soap-boxes in our bathroom, which is initially a bit deceiving, as it is apparently in a closet (but it's sufficiently large). However, we asked for new soap and those came very quickly indeed.
I did not have the correct plug adapter, though by no fault of the hotel, they are a new-build and had to install the newest Brazilian standard - some Brazilian government agencies seem to have nothing better to do than to define new plug-types that everyone must adhere to. Luckily, I found an adequate plug to charge my notebook in the bathroom. Wi-fi worked fine, as did the computer for general use in the lobby.
We chose not to spend R$ 28 for breakfast and from what I saw, it was slightly better than US standard, but sub-par for really good Brazilian hotels. For the price, I would expect something as good as I've seen at other above-average hotels in Brazil.
Possibly the highlight of the room was that, despite facing a busy avenue and the airport, we did not hear any sound from outside. Great windows! And my wife is the lightest sleeper in the world.
Last but not least, for the title to make sense, I consider this hotel, despite the caveats, a great option for this part of what I would call downtown Rio. Certainly not a place to stay if you wish to enjoy the real beauties of Rio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel has more than 400 hotels in 60 countries, located in the centre of key cities and suitable both for business trips and for holidays. Whether you visit us to relax, eat, work or find yourself, our facilities and teams are entirely at your service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Novotel RJ Santos Dumont reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Rio De Janeiro Santos Dumont Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Novotel RJ Santos Dumont Rio De Janeiro, Brazil