On our trip to Brazil we stayed in the Novotel 2 times and were satisfied on both occasions.
On our first night we arrived from the international airport to be picked up for our trip to Ilha Grande the next day by Green Toad/Easy transfer (booked at Green Toad, operated by Easy transfer). The advantage of staying at this Novotel compared to staying in Copacabana/Ipanema was that it is closer to the international airport and it takes less time to reach Ilha Grande.
We took a regular yellow taxi from the international airport and we got a fixed price at a booth in the arrival hall which was around BRL 50. This is considerably cheaper than the radiotaxis which go for around BRL 85. Considering the distance, the taxi is quite a good value.
Check in went smooth. The rooms are typically Novotel, well organized, good bedding and clean. Although you are next to the Santos Dumont airport, the sound proofing is very good and you cannot hear any outside noise. Every time we entered the Novotel it feeled like an oasis in the hectic jungle of Rio.
There is a subway station about 700 meters walk. Both times we were there during the weekend and the during the day we did feel safe in the area. However, at night we preferred to go by cab. During weekends there is really nothing open in the area except at the domestic Santos Dumont airport where you can also visit ATM's. Not all ATM's are taking international debit cards but Banco do Brasil worked for us. It is really a five minute walk to the airport which was also convenient because on our second stay we departed from the Santos Dumont airport.
The variety and the quality of the breakfast was good, we especially liked the fresh omelettes. We had a little discussion on check out on our second stay about whether or not the breakfast was included. The Novotel website seemed to have gotten us a rate that combined one day with and one day without breakfast. The manager solved this issue very well but watch out for this little "surprise" from the Novotel website.
The Novotel is a very excellent option if you don't want to pay a lot for staying near the beaches (taxirides to Copacabana are only BRL 30 or so and Copacabana is imho overrated anyway) but want a good quality hotel in Rio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel has more than 400 hotels in 60 countries, located in the centre of key cities and suitable both for business trips and for holidays. Whether you visit us to relax, eat, work or find yourself, our facilities and teams are entirely at your service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Novotel RJ Santos Dumont reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Rio De Janeiro Santos Dumont Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Novotel RJ Santos Dumont Rio De Janeiro, Brazil