“Great little place with American delicacies.”
Review of Gringo Cafe

Gringo Cafe
Ranked #17 of 152 Dessert in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Ipanema
Seattle, Washington
“Great little place with American delicacies.”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I came here on Thanksgiving day for their Turkey Dinner special. It was $25 per person (in US) and it was a nice filling meal. It was the most delicious dinner I have ever had. The cranberry sauce was amazing, and so was the gravy. It was all home-made. Not out of a package. The service did leave little to be desired, it was pretty slow. This is fairly normal for Rio however. This place is small, and offers some really great food. The owner is usually on hand to talk to you, and is originally from CA, from what I have heard. I highly recommend a visit if you get a little homesick while in RIo.

• Visited November 2012

ATL
“Dont bother”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

With all the other places to explore in Ipanema, you can safely skip this place. Uninterested server, uninteresting food. Good wi fi though...

1 Thank JustinATL
Lugano
“a good attempt....but nothing like the real thing”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I`m an expat living in Rio, I travel to the US enough to get over my cravings but I decided to give this place a try, I really like the location. Gringo Cafe looks pretty nice, I got big hopes right away, the food took forever (we ordered two sandwiches), they have two different sizes to pick from but they are not consistent on all type of sandwiches, the BLT even in the Gringo size is way too small and the regular is a joke, while a regular Tuna Melt is sized about right. The taste on both was ok, but nothing like the real thing, the ingredients were poor, no real cheddar cheese and not the best quality of canned tuna for the Melt either (can`t use Brazilian Tuna!!! buy Spanish or other better quality ones), also the bread used is not the right one. I ordered a Bohemia, I got an Heineken, the server just served it while I was in the bathroom without asking if I was ok with it. The food is a bit pricey for what you get, the prices could be alright if the quality would step up a bit, it`s really not that hard as I make most of dishes at home in Rio too. I lived in an isolated island country in the Pacific, and the American diner there was just like one you could find in any US city, so it`s really not impossible to make the same food, especially in Brazil...lot`s of work to do to make this place worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank alex h
“Great spot”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a great spot, it's very hard to come acorss a good american breakfast and hamburger in Rio, but this plae does the job. The owner and staff is very friendly.

• Visited October 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good for a quick pitstop”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've had breakfast and lunch here a few times now and it's good for a quick bite to eat. Nothing fancy, street side cafe but will satisfy any need you might have for US type munchies.

Visited October 2012